main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. ForceReader

ForceReader Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2011
    Thank you for your advice timmoishere. I'm roughly 340 pages into Storm of Swords right now so I do expect to be hitting those plot twists sooner or later. I read about the series on wikipedia before I bought the books so I do have a basic knowledge of what is to come. I really loved the first two books and I hope that trend continues. The plot twists were really unexpected so far. Cersei's lover, Catelyn's journey to King's Landing to figure out who sent the killer after Bran and the journey back, The betrayal at the end of the first book, Jaime's freeing during the end of the second book and the beginning of the third book, Theon taking over Winterfell. I never saw those plot twists coming. I like books that aren't afraid to rock the boat like that. Sort of like the Hunger Games Trilogy. Also having a lot of different characters fighting the norms of their position is always intriguing to me like Arya, Jon or Tyrion.

2. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

Page 340 of ASoS, eh? Your about to fall off a cliff of unknown heights my friend. And none of us have landed yet lol.....

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Just wait till you get to page 704. *shudder*

4. ForceReader

ForceReader Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2011
    I assume that the page 704 plot twist is the dreaded Red Wedding? I'm almost at page 400 right now. The Daenerys chapter in the last 20-30 pages or so was very slow reading reading for me. I'm glad that Tyrion had some morals (maybe not the right word but still) and allowed Sansa the option not to bed with him. Can't wait to see what happens next

5. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    So I gather that by now you've reached the infamous Red Wedding chapter. But just to be safe, I remember the first time I read that segment, I wasn't too concerned with Robb and Catelyn getting butchered because you could see all of that coming a mile away, but during the next chapter when it appears that the Hound has killed Arya too, I literally felt sick to my stomach. I had to skim to the latter portions of the book to find another Arya chapter to save my sanity.

RC-1991 likes this.
  6. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Unfortunately, ASOS is currently the pinnacle of the series. AFFC and ADWD are probably the two weakest novels.

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I just finished Dance with Dragons. This is a beautifully written series, but I think at times its a bit long winded. I will still be eagerly awaiting what comes next.

8. Lord_Riven

Nov 13, 2001
    We all hope that GRRM doesn't pull a Robert Jordan. But since ASOIAF is being made into a TV series, I think GRRM will get a move on and put the last two novels out within the next five years.

9. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    He's seven chapters into volume 6 , not that that is indicative of when it will be complete. At least we know hes working on it.

10. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    He did say that he had several completed chapters that didn't make it into the final cut of ADWD, so this isn't surprising.

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah I think he had some Sansa Chapters that were supposed to be in ADWD that were cut out.

12. Lord_Riven

Nov 13, 2001
    We've seen Arianne and Theon chapters. I'm also assuming that there are Sansa and Brienne chapters to come in TWOW which should have been in ADWD. I think it was about 100 pages that got shifted to TWOW from ADWD which was why we had all those atrocious cliffhangers at the end of ADWD.

13. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I've got about 120 pages left in A Clash of Kings. Really liking the series so far.

14. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I just bought the saga, hurray for me! [face_dancing]

15. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    I have read the series and I am still not over Ned's death, let alone the Red Wedding. I Hope Jon will be fine.

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    He's Azor Ahai reborn. Of course he'll be fine. His watch is ended and now comes the time to bring a reign of fire with his aunt/future lover Daenerys Targaryen.

17. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    I dont think John is Azor Ahai. I think its Dany.

On another note, the author has released a Theon chapter and its pretty good. Chapter 6 of Winds Of Winter. Clears up a little bit of the confusion at the end of ADwD but not all of it and of course its a cliff hanging chapter lol......

18. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    The whole book was left with cliff hangers in ADWD which was quite nerve racking.

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    "There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

Reread how Jon dies - more specifically, who dies immediately before Jon. Also, Longclaw is Lightbringer.

20. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Are you refering to the claim that Stannis is dead at the hands of Ramsey Bolton? I am still wondering whether that is even true. I am one of those that believe Jon is Lyanna and Rheager's son, so you may be right. For argument's sake, why do you think Longclaw is Lightbringer?

21. severian28

Apr 1, 2004

I hear you. You could be right and nothing would suprise me with this author buts its more highly speculative ( Ser Patreks heraldry and Lightbringer not actually being Lightbringer ) then the obvious choice of Dany. Sometimes it is the obvious with Martin, easily as many times as it isnt. ASoIaF , to me , is a story about an archaic revival, a return to a maternal reality, and the death of hyper masculinity - in terms of consciousness, not gender, but still symbolized with some strong female characters. Bran and John fit the bill for what Azor Ahai would be in an archaic revival because they are right brained, feminized type of guys but Im gonna stick with the obvious choice of Dany, if for nothing else then the symmetry of her riding Drogon and John and Bran riding the two other dragons to provide an inverted parallel to Aegon the Conqueror and his two sisters.

22. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'm thinking about jumping into this series head first soon. Is there really any reason I shouldn't. I honestly don't know much about it, just that it seems to be near universally loved by those that have read it.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Definitely jump in head-first. And do your best to avoid spoilers. There are several jaw-dropping events that will literally make you want to throw your book across the room, and you don't want to be spoiled for those.

24. Lord_Riven

Nov 13, 2001
    The first three books are some of the most awesome books I've ever read. Books 4 and 5 are however, only passable...

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011