main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Woo! Time to get mad about casting!

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Ho boy. In no particular order

Talisa in general. Her name is actually Jeyne Westerling and she only shows up in Book 3 though, not 2 as in the show.

Ramsay, on the other hand, shows up in Book 2 unlike the show. He's also much more psychopathic. The entire Northern plotline gets shifted around a bit. Ramsay is a threat even in the beginning before Theon's capture of Winterfell, and how Ramsay takes the castle back is brilliantly devious. Also MOST IMPORTANTLY, Robb and Catelyn hear about Bran and Rickon's "deaths" before they make their bad decisions (marrying Jeyne and releasing Jaime). This makes their decisions make more sense, in the terms of where Robb and Catelyn were emotionally instead of being plain dumb, the show made them look.

Tywin and Arya never interact. Roose Bolton ended up taking Harrenhal in Book 2 instead of 3 as in the show. I didn't mind that change though.

Dany's visions at the Houses of the Undying. I won't go into any detail though.

More emphasis on the past, with Robert's Rebellion and people talking about it.

Jaime DOESN'T kill his cousin. Such a terrible choice in the show. I don't get it. He also doesn't rape Cersei.

A lot more focus is given on Tyrion's first wife, which ends up being very important to his actions in Season 4.

I already went over the Lysa confession thing with you in the other thread

There's more to Sansa's "confession" to the Vale Lords but I won't get to that. It's also in Book 4 if I recall.

The epilogue of Book 3. DON'T LOOK IT UP. The showrunners left it out and it pisses me off.

Stannis's attack in the book is awesome, show screwed it up.

There's more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No Greyjoys. Of course. Sigh.

4. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Really, nearly all of Dany's season/book 2 plot was changed, including all of Qarth. And it's only five total chapters in the book.

5. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]

Are you ****ing kidding me?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was going to say that I found the casting inoffensive, but then I read PG's post.

No Arianne then? Really?

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i guess i feel like season 4 was about getting us used to the fact that they are going to depart from the books whenever and however they want. and i guess it sort of worked on me because i'm having a hard time drumming up a reaction to this stuff.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The deal with the direwolves is better in the book, and Joffrey's evil is better disguised from Sansa in the book until Ned's death.

But the way she's throwing temper tantrums, treating Arya horribly (even when Arya begins acting more maturely), talking with the Queen, how she treats her friend as they're locked up, etc.... just so much more immature than the show version.

9. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    At least they seem to be dropping the went-absolutely-nowhere Quentyn story.

Just giving the Sand Snakes Arianne's coup idea without the slight of not being heir does seem like something the show would do. The Snakes wanted to strike in some way, anyway, so I'm not surprised a lot of those plots are being merged.

10. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I actually like the Alexander Siddig and Jonathan Pryce castings, but leaving out Arianne would be terrible. The only other thing I can think of is if she's Trystane's younger sister and they haven't cast her yet.. I had a feeling they'd merge Quentyn and Trystane to cut down on time and make his death all the more tragic to House Martell, but no Arianne is just ugh

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I suppose you find throwing food, playing in the mud, and associating with all sorts of low characters to be mature? What Arya does is the equivalent of joining a gang and doing hard drugs, today.

And did you say "talking with the Queen"? Really? Are you sure you're not the one that's being immature. ;)

tom likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    also she is 11 years old. her pampered beginnings and the realistic portrayal of a noble young girl of that age are what make her overall arc more compelling.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, in the book you get inside her head and you realize what she's thinking when she does what she does. And you realize she's the way she is because her father and mother raised her to be that way -- she's basically the ideal medieval daughter. That she doesn't conform to modern tastes is the point.

It's just that what she represents is deeply disliked by people today, so she's judged for it. Tywin also represents a medieval stereotype (cruel, power-obsessed lord) but he can get away with it because he's cool.

edit: p.s. this is why I hated the show's portrayal of her as an air-headed teen, since that's a *modern* stereotype and the books make it clear she's a well-educated noble girl.

Bacon164 and tom like this.
  14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, they just surpass my expectations for being crap. They go and cast three Sand Snakes-- who barely appear in the books and are minor characters that could easily be trimmed down-- for sexposition over Euron and Victarion. Might as well be True Blood at this point. It's possible they left out some major casting for various reasons (I don't remember what other reels had), but I'm not optimistic.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Maybe she's better in book 2, but before Ned's death in book 1 she's much more annoying. Especially with how she dismisses her friend while they're being held captive, and her flipping out and then going off to Cersei. I know she didn't understand what she did then, but her stuck-up attitude about the whole deal was so annoying. Sansa was more graceful about it in the show. And how she constantly thought less of Jon in her mind, in her point of view chapters. Book Sansa handled the direwolf disaster better though. But while Arya started off very immature, before Ned's death she had really grown and matured. With Sansa it was a regression, until her father's death.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    She's a young girl who's following her mother's lead. And Catelyn's animosity toward Jon is understandable. It's enough that Ned supposedly cheated on her; most nobles keep their bastards away from their homes and their trueborn children. She shouldn't take it out on the poor kid, but that doesn't mean her motives don't make sense in context.

tom likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That is literally the opposite of my view -- I felt she was far more graceful and mannered in the books (a key phrase of hers is "courtesy is a lady's armor"). I think you're having difficulty separating thoughts from actions: people often think unkindly, but the point is to never act it. That's why I feel like I appreciate her points of view: you can feel her making sure that above all, she's not being nasty to people.

Except her sister: but I. siblings fight and II. Arya usually starts it.

As far as Jon, we know that Sansa is closer to her mother and father -- and you know that Catelyn would make her feelings known in subtle, undermining ways "oh, he's only your half-brother" -- and Sansa, being the dutiful daughter she is, picks up on it.

Remember -- as tom said, she's eleven.

edit: Thank you Even, you are a gentleman and a scholar.... well, okay, you're a scholar at any rate. :p

tom likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Uhhhhhh... really? Didn't that happen over the period of this last year when Tyrion was the Hand?

19. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, seriously. Cersei just told Oberyn last season she's been queen for 19 years, so it's only been about two years since the show started.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yeah Pryce is perfect as the sparrow.

21. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    What tickles me is that whoever made this on Tumblr called Doran's casting months ago. They must be very happy.

Also, Martin revealed something about The Winds of Winter's prologue:

Jeyne Westerling is going to be in it. Hopefully, for her sake, it's not from her point of view.

The_Forgotten_Jedi and dp4m like this.
  22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hopefully the POV is

Sybell Spicer's. I would like her to face some BWB "justice".

Point Given likes this.
  23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Dr. Bashir as Prince Doran. Interesting. I was expecting someone a little more heavyset, but I think I can get behind this.

24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    You mean Gaius Baltar, of course.

25. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    I wonder if making Tyene into Ellaria's daughter means Ellaria is going to be a little more relevant going forward than she's been in the books.