main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Arianne's plot doesn't make much sense with a bastard.

yankee8255 likes this.
  2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yeah, and the show has always made sense.

3. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    In spite of myself I'm still baffled by the inability of the showrunners to have a basic understanding of the source material.

4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I just saw that spoiler picture and laughed like a maniac.

Gurm, you're ****ed.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

It doesn't have to have the same motivation. She can just want to get back at the Lannisters and be frustrated at Doran's inaction. You don't need the extra motivation with Quentyn for it to work with fewer characters.

6. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Like we all predicted, looks like this season will be all spoilers pretty much.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "Spoilers" as in at best they're following a rough outline (because the books aren't finished) and at worst they're making their own **** up. For example, when GRRM commented on whether Dany and Tyrion would meet in WoW, he explicitly said they spend much of the book apart. Remember that this is the same program that twisted time and space to smash Brienne and Sandor together because teh kewl.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    And honestly, Aegon might not even be in it, unless they're really keeping him under wraps.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm 99% sure he's not. It's unlike them to keep casting under wraps for this long. If he appears, it will be next season and he'll just show up out of the blue. Especially if WoW reveals critical plot importance (see: kewl) for him ("OH ****, GET THE SHOEHORN!") or provides opportunities for sex scenes in brothels.

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I hope that image was from episode nine or ten and not episode two or three.

11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    You have to admit it's good seeing Tyrion and Dany together though. We've only been waiting 15 years or whatever.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    crap, where did Tyrion get his hands on a turnip cart?!

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Spoilers!

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Aegon should pop out of the turnip cart and Tyrion has to push him back in before Dany sees.

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    so the fun begins.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    If Mr. Eko is playing a Strong Belwas-type character, I might forgive them the other faults this season.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear that's the direction they're going in. More than anything, I think it shows how little the showrunners and writers care about establishing motivation. Everyone is out for revenge, because, well, REVENGE! Her father's letter is such a key piece to understanding Arianne in the books, in the show it'll just be be Ellaria, "Vengence for Oberyn."

They already ruined one of the best parts of the books, Tyrion's detour to his father's chambers in ASOS. Can someone explain to me exactly why he went up the ladder on the show?

I've also started considering a poll: When did Game of Thrones (show) jump the shark. I can't decide between 1) Jamie rapes Cersei and 2) director and producers defy the most basic principles of logic and common sense trying to convince everyone that Jamie didn't rape Cersei.

Further suggestions are welcome.

I think the one real spoiler is the absence of Aegon.

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

wait they didnt introduce strong belwas yet? and now that they are its just a strong belwas pastiche and not strong belwas per se?

my nerd-wrath towards the show-runners has never been stronger

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Strong Belwas is not in the show. Though now they need someone to eat crickets.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lol how;s ur lame ass show that doesnt even have the only character anyone cares abotu in dany's storyline since, like, book 3?

*defecates in the general direction of show-only people*

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    also i dont know what's more offensive: that people refuse to learn to spell adewale akinnuoye-agbaje, or that they're ******* low-brow enough that the common touchdown is "mr eko" and not adebisi from Oz?

[​IMG]

adebisi.

tom likes this.
  22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Kind of funny thinking back to a year or so ago, when we were debating how the show was going to adapt AFFC and ADWD, especially if they want to wrap the show in 7 seasons and Martin hasn't put out at least TWOW. I think the answer is quite simply that they've stopped caring about the books and whether Martin gets the book out and are just goig their own way. I don't really a problem with that, in and of itself -- They have an ongoing production that tey have to maintain, cast members that are getting visibily older, etc.

My problem comes in when I look at what they've changed already, in pretty much every case it's been vastly inferior to the books.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I know people -- literate people! -- who think the show did a fine job explaining it with "well Tywin always treated him like crap and was going to have him killed."

So yeah, the basic reduction of everything to revenge, like you said. It's not really that convincing -- except to show viewers who think it's perfectly adequate. Perhaps Ender was right all along.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Darth Guy and yankee8255 like this.
  24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Or take a scene within that scene: Tyrion and Shae. In the book, Tyrion is stunned to see her and isn't quite sure what to do at first. He realizes she's been playing him all along, but there's still that hesitation. Shae realizes Tyrion's finally figuring it out, and tries to talk her way out of it. It isn't until she makes the mistake of calling him "Her Giant of Lannister" that he attacks and kills her.

Then there's show. Tyrion gets there, sees her, they exchange a brief glance, and then she immediately goes for the knife. Obviously she knows he's not exactly pleased with her, and thus she has good reason to be afraid of him. But, after making it so clear that Show-Shae really loved Tyrion, wouldn't she even try to talk to him? Nope, it's Game of Thrones, we either get naked or we kill someone.

Unless there are dogs. Then we run as fast as we possibly can. Hopefully back to our magic turnip cart,.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, and after all their boasting about making Shae a much more human and developed character too.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.