main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i've just heard about some casting news for season six - there's going to be a band of outlaws who terrorise, and extort the countryside, and they use religion to justify their methods?

a couple of mixed race warriors, their dialog will need to be learned pho-net-ically, and will be subtitled - dothraki presumably

a submissive but influential measter, who will speak with a northern accent?

various northern lords, one who sounds like randal tarley

EDIT: maester

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Could the Maester they refer to be Marwyn?

3. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    doubt it, marwyn's not young, or the timid type - this guy will be in his early 20's (which to be fair is pretty ancient in this show)

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I hope we get Meribald next season too. And they can't forget Dog either.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Tarly is from the Reach, and they've already mentioned him on the show so they (probably) can't change that. One of the Northern lords sounds like an Umber ("rules in the very far north," "bear of a man") and the other may be the show equivalent of Wyman Manderly. I can't (can) believe they're casting Northern lords after the whole Winterfell fiasco, lol.

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Latest rumor, apparently from the Martins own mouth at a press screening and that of the actor who plays Jamie, is that he is actually putting the finishing touches to it now and it will be out hopefully by October.

This is atleast news a month old, and Martin hasn't debunked it. Which he usually does...So take it for what it is.

7. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Doesn't really matter at this point? The TV series will wrap up well before the book series does, so it will be impossible not to be spoiled for the ending.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    1/2 books is still better than 0/2. :p And at this point I'm convinced the show ending will be nothing like the books', given the wild divergences in plot, characterization, and theme. Sure, there will probably be "Jon Snow ends up _____" but the execution will be sorely lacking. Plus we know that the "Night's King" is a show invention-- and I'm reasonably sure that "Others turn human babies into them" is only based upon the showrunners taking the ravings of an inbred, uneducated victim of serial rape/incest at face value. That they portrayed the Children of the Forest as literal human children (despite explicit book descriptions to the contrary) indicates that they either don't know these beings aren't human or they consciously decided to change it. I'm not sure which is dumber.

9. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    The Children of the Forest...don't bring up that travesty again. I was already pissed because they chose to kill of Jojen (I'm sure he's going to die but he at least saw Bran safe with the Crow) but the Children really got my 'wtf is wrong with this show' ball rolling in the finale. Guillermo del Toro and others have proved that it's possible to create fantasy creatures with prosthetics and makeup, so some pointy ears, some yellow contacts, a bit of brown makeup, a cool, leafy costume, and we could've had a great-looking species. But nooo we had to go the literal 'children' route. They specifically said that humans gave them that name because of their size, not their appearance. Ugh

I heard "come with me Brandon Stark!" and for one second I was like 'omg the Children of the Forest!!!!!" and then I saw Leaf and I was like 'who the firetruck are you'. Joy gone in one second

10. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Forgive me if this sounds like rubbish but it is a fun theory
    Maybe Coldhands is Bran the Builder.
    I mean after building a wall of ice his hands would surely be cold.

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Yes and no. The show is going in radically different directions in some areas from the books. In the books Stannis is on having a bad trip on mushrooms, but for all intents and purposes is in a better position to beat the Boltons than in the show. His men are having it rough, but he's getting reinforcements from Northern clans and the Iron bank is helping him too. Boltons on the other hand are snowed in completely and have rogue elements among them. So as of the last book it seems that Stannis may actually win in WOW.

The books may all lead to the same idea for an ending, but I think it's safe to say that even if the shows catches up even more, that the books will be very different from what we see on screen.

Miriedis likes this.
  12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    the last episode was a desperate scramble to get to many of the same cliffhangers established at the end of a dance with dragons. considering the show runners have been working with martin for five years, i think it's safe to say that the show will reach a very similar conclusion as that of the books, only with many corners cut and plot beats rushed, combined, or skipped over entirely. And frankly, if it's obvious that Stannis will win the battle at the end of one book, it seems more likely that Martin will pull the rug out from under him at the beginning of the next.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's not really how the books work. "Twists" are often heavily foreshadowed. For example, I knew Robb Stark was going to die because Dany had a vision of a dead wolf-headed king at a feast-- I just didn't know it would turn out quite so literal. It also had a ton of buildup-- Catelyn's repeated warnings about Walder Frey, Roose Bolton's odd behavior at Harrenhall, etc. There's also the theme that runs through the series that "good guys" don't magically get away with making mistakes.

Also, the "twist" is going to be Stannis' victory. Stannis is in a terrible situation, bogged down in an epic snowstorm and with men who are so desperate they resort to cannibalism. There's no "rug" for Martin to pull out from under him. The end of DwD had Ramsay's letter to Jon, which claims that Stannis was defeated and killed; there are plenty of hints that this will not the case in both DwD and the released sample chapters of WoW.

And if you think the showrunners listen to Martin, they don't.

Miriedis likes this.
  14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    We still don't know if Stannis is dead in the show. Brienne could have just as easily chopped the tree above his head, deciding at the last minute to spare his life. It's a similar situation in Brienne's last chapter in AFFC; it's unclear (at least until Jaime's chapter in ADWD) if she was hanged or set free by Stoneheart's men. I suspect that early on in season 6, we'll see Brienne dragging Stannis from the scene and then encountering Theon and Sansa.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    According to the show's post-mortems (lol), he's dead. It would've been "gratuitous" to show his death.

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005

Well, I'm reading them now, so we'll see if I eat my words. :p

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Especially when they could've shown some women being beaten and raped and killed instead. [face_plain]

The show runners are disgusting. I rarely resort to personal attacks on people for creative choices, and I wouldn't do it just for a bad adaptation but their casual attitude about VAW next to their "oh we can't show poor Stannis being killed" -- yeah forget any such restraint.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    The show is certainly taking a different path, but the end point for the major characters will pretty much as Martin planned it. I'll still enjoy taking the path, but it loses something when you know where it ends.

Also, I'd like to be able to read the last book without having the show version in the back of my mind.

19. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    When ADWD came out, Martin announced the release date on his blog four months in advance, before even turning in the final manuscript. If it was actually October, would think he'd have said something by now.

Amazing.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wasn't that because the publisher announced it earlier than intended?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. Miriedis

Miriedis Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2015
    I feel as though this song has never been more relevant:

Please, Martin, save our beloved series!

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I've had that one stuck in my head the last week.

Anyway I'm rereading ASOIAF, with some kind of hope that I won't have to wait too long until TWOW when I'm finished. One thing I've started to think about is the fact that if we assume that Jon's body will get burnt, then the last time we saw a funeral pyre with a royal on it it awoke three dragons. There doesn't happen to be a dragon egg or so laying around Castle Black? We have already seen people get resurrected, so will there be something extra special happening with Jon, I'm at the stage where just having him come alive again wouldn't feel enough.

23. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/198122.html

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It won't be neat, that's for sure. The Sixskins prologue and Mel's visions and Jon's last word point to him warging into Ghost in order to preserve his consciousness, so he'll never be truly "dead" in the way that Beric and Catelyn were. But if Mel resurrects Jon's body when his consciousness is in Ghost, who or what will be in control of Jon's body, if anything?

25. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I checked that out - the rumour dates back to March, and IIRC, has been debunked. Unfortunately, a lot of sites (IBT, ChristianToday and so on) keep regurgitating old rumours and quotes as clickbait, so without the more rapid flow of information most franchises have (because, you know, they're actually moving along at more than a drunk snail's pace and have real news now and then), such material keeps coming up and appears new.

The most reliable indication of a TWoW release date that I've heard recently is from GRRM in an Entertainment Weekly interview, in which he says that he wants to have it out before Season 6 of the show, so I don't think it's unrealistic to hope for a March/April 2016 release.
    This year, though, forget it. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (aka The Tales of Dunk and Egg collection) is all we'll be getting as far as 'new' Westeros material is concerned, and it's probably happening just to have a print release this year - but it'll be a treat for anyone who hasn't read them, and I'll definitely be grabbing it for the pictures, despite having the three collections the stories were included in.