main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The show also uses the same timeline as the books. There's a big fuss made in the very first episode about just how long it took Robert to get to Winterfell from KL. And then the teleporting turnip carts start from there.

Miriedis, Ender Sai and Abadacus like this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Also Gilly's baby should be like 5 years old. It's not just travel. The whole timeline-- everything is nonsensical.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Most viewers have worked out the complicated equation that 5 show minutes ≠ 5 minutes of real time. Keep trying, you'll get there ;)
    Please clearly & definitively establish those 5 years. Off-screen matters like the age of actors doesn't count.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They reference years as having passed. Gilly's baby, at most, was born less than a year into the story. I'm not going to come up with specific script citations because **** that.

5. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok. To me time & travel in a show/movie are trivial concerns. I also just watched Better Call Saul & quite liked it. The timeline of Mike & the age of his granddaughter as seen in Breaking Bad makes no sense. I couldn't care less. Each to their own.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, let's pretend that FTL existing in a medieval setting is the only problem.

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I heard for the blu-ray they're releasing a Nitpickers Edition. Inserted will be all of the exciting travel montage scenes. Lots of horses galloping & boats sailing & people walking [face_tired]

IamZam likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Teleporting characters is hilarious. Rampant orientalism, misogyny, and sheer hubristic joy in ineptitude less so.

Miriedis, tom, ma_petite and 3 others like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hoth to Bespin on a backup hyperdrive was 22 days, btw...

:yoda:

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not canon anymore, and he regrets coming up with that explanation too :p

"It's fantasy" is the new rule of the game.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I know, but we had an explanation shortly after the time... :p

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My explanation is that it did, in fact, help to go out and push :p

edit: Sorry, I didn't want to give the wrong idea with the "it's fantasy" thing -- it wasn't that we were ignoring the rules, it's that time elapsed much longer than shown.

IamZam and dp4m like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Darth Downunder, do you hope that in dying on this insipid hill that you'll get the hill named after you; or are you instead hoping for a public holiday in your name?

Darth Downunder likes this.
  14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    How did the Falcon get from the Hoth System to the Anoat System, before it even left for Bespin?

Then there's Palpatine leaving to get to Anakin while he's been left for dead on Mustafar. He's laying there burning alive on a lava bank. Palps has to get to his shuttle, take off, leave Coruscant, travel through hyperspace, get to the planet, land & locate & get to Anakin. He should've been a burnt husk by then. Plenty of such examples in the Saga. Dramatic convenience! No big deal (IMO).
    No, & I didn't mean to kick the hornet's nest with my observation. I just had a sense of deja vu regarding other fantasy adaptations. Perhaps one I should've kept to myself :)

DD-Day does have a nice ring to it though [face_thinking]

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't forget homophobia. lol Loras is gay you guyz. It's his only defining trait!

(But it's okay because they turned a complex socio-political-religious movement into a bunch of bigoted caricatures.)

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What, that any criticism of the show surely must be the work of 'bitter book purists'? Yeah, I think we got it.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm more of a fruity and refreshing book purist, to be quite honest... think more like Cointreau than Aperol...

And I still say nice things about the show at times. :p

yankee8255 likes this.
  18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, same here - I'm one of those boring nerds who buys things like The World of Fire and Ice.

19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    When you think about it, it's a shame Robb didn't have one of those magic Turnip carts, he could have bypassed the Twins completely.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    To give you an example of a show problem that is not based on comparison to the books and is not a point like travel times, the show has a real problem with torture. The show makers like to show extended scenes of graphic violence where one party is basically helpless and the other is slowly mutilating them. Sometimes, this is in-character, but merely excessive in its screen time (eg, by the fourth or fifth occurrence, we got the point of what was happening with Ramsay and Theon. There really was diminishing gains in showing us more and more). Sometimes, it seemed outside someone's modus operandi (Arya gouging out some man's eyes while he was still alive, instead of just stabbing him or slitting his throat like she always does). Sometimes, it veered off into the comically absurd (Varys actively torturing a guy he keeps hidden in his living room as a discussion piece?). Sometimes, it makes no sense for the character at all (Sansa Stark feeding someone to a pack of dogs, even though she's the daughter of a man whose introductory scene was teaching his children the importance of fairly administering justice and clean, "legal" executions.).

None of this is entertaining to watch. At worst, it's off-putting. At best, it's simply not very interesting from a dramatic or emotional standpoint. Why is this such a huge element of the show? Who likes this?

Miriedis, blackmyron, tom and 3 others like this.
  21. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

He should've given Ramsay command of the other army instead of Roose. With 20 good men Ramasy would've destroyed Tywin's army and then wiped it out completely the next day.

yankee8255 likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    With not a willy spared the shears.

yankee8255 likes this.
  23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Great point by Wocky about Sansa, Ramsey and Ned, BTW.

24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    What is the "problem" with the torture? It's an R-rated show depicting a brutal fantasy world where torture is employed. Just as a realistic depiction of Medieval Europe would. The mental & physical disintegration of Theon has paid off in spades in terms of that character.

Some other quick points:

You may not like it but the most heinous of a-holes in this world suffering harsh & brutal justice has been quite fitting at times. Perhaps Arya had planned on simply cutting Trant's throat. Then she saw him beating & planning to rape young girls, & it's implied that this was a long standing habit of his.

All Sansa did was place Ramsey in a room with his hounds. Should be no big deal right? As he said, they're loyal beasts. The fact that he starved them for a week so they could kill & maim other people is what created the torture.

I've heard this Ned Stark argument before. I find it baffling. Of course he was all procedure & nobility when executing someone for deserting the Night's Watch. Or various other crimes. How would he go if a criminal had say, slit his wife's throat & murdered his eldest son? Would he simply draw his sword & give him a clean death? Or a guy who beat & raped his daughter & then murdered his youngest son? Just a few procedural words uttered & off with his head? Ned wasn't a robot. He nearly crushed Littlefinger's throat for thinking he was disrespecting Cat by implying she was in a brothel. I'd have no trouble believing he'd opt for a far more brutal than usual death for such extreme violence against his family.
    Given this is the biggest show in the world right now the answer is alot of people.

Your criticisms are valid, but they're just based on personal preference. They're not flaws in the show bcs it's deliberately designed to present these kinds of themes. It's like the people who said "who would want to watch a show about a guy who cooks meth which ruins the lives of thousands. Who kills people & constantly manipulates & lies to his own family?".
    To them the answer is simple: if you don't like it, don't watch it.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, it's "how can we make this story as wide ranging as possible", to which the answer is dumb it the **** down.