main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    He ain't fat like Zollo or Belwas.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Strong Belwas needs liver and onions. Strong Belwas lets each man cut him once before he kills them. Count the scars and you will know how many Strong Belwas has slain.

Strong Belwas wishes he was in season 3.

3. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Strong Belwas is one of the very few interesting characters in Essos, who am I supposed to care about in Dany's story in GOT if he isn't there?

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    More importantly, this means we won't have the iconic scene of him defeating Yunkai's champion, then taking a **** in the direction of the city walls. :(

5. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Maybe, they can have Selmy do it in the TV show thus demonstrating on whole new side to the old man.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    But wasn't really iconic of anything except Belwas's character. If the only thing we should lose is a defining moment for a character that was edited out of the show, we are incredibly fortunate.

7. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    I consider it iconic of the entire Dany subplot as his actions perfectly represent her story.

8. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    . . .

Fine, I'll bite. How, exactly?

9. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Dany comes to a city causes massive destruction(Belwas kills the champion) then afterwards she leaves/makes everything in a complete mess( Belwas leaves a massive **** afterwards). Also her story-arc is pretty *****.

If you cannot tell I am not a fan of Dany's story or character.

10. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    That's actually the moment I was thinking of comparing it to. One of my biggest disappointments of the show, as Arya is pretty much my favorite character and I loved the scene when she killed the Tickler. They seem to be eliminating a lot of Arya's big moments in favor of having her serve food and drink to Tywin Lannister for 5 straight episodes.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Is it that the females are absolutely last, though, or just that males are preferred?

Essos is about ethnography and worldbuilding. Who cares about the characters? :p

12. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    They are placed at the bottom, for example a brother will come before a daughter.

Also if Essos was about worldbuilding you think GRRM wouldn't fill it with cartoons.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Did you finish the books? Cause if not, you might want to leave this thread.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ? Odd... I'm pretty sure I posted that in the movie thread...

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
  16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    why's he need to build a world? at this rate he's not going to finish the current story, let alone get around to telling other ones before his heart is physically no longer able to beat under the crushing weight of adipose tissue surrounding it

SiouxFan likes this.
  17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Wocky, isn't in the Bear and the Maiden Fair song scene where Sansa thinks she's going to marry Loras but is told she's marrying Willas?

18. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Yeah, it is during the scene with Butterbumps and when Sansa warns Margy and QOT about the true nature of Joffrey. I am particularly worried about how the exchange of Loras for Willas is going to fuel fans complaining about how Sansa is somehow shallow for not loving Tyrion when they are married.

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Sansa isn't exactly the most loved character for show-watchers as is....

but yeah that's not exactly gonna do her any favors.

20. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    In particular, that is the one reason that I wish they actually would accurately portray Tyrion within the show. In how, his Television whitewashed portrayal is going to make it seem like the only reason she objects to him is because he is a dwarf.

Rather then there being any issue of how he is loyal Lannister and is partially responsible for keeping her prisoner along with how he is a pretty twisted individual.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah there's no perspective like that in the show...he's pretty much universally a hero.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He's probably going to be super nice to her and/or try to save her.

Meanwhile, they're nicely trying to erase any of the few qualities that Jaime may have had (including, apparently, his skill at a sword!). I'm no Jaime fan, but come on. This is character assassination.

23. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    To be fair at this point in the book, Jaime still was seen as pretty much a dick only with one hand. Moreover, it is much more likely they will start building up Jaime's redemption then they will ever darken Tyrion. Honestly, I have even heard rumors about them even dropping his killing of Shae despite that being a defining moment in Tyrion's arc into the darkness.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, I have to agree about Jaime. The scene with him flailing around with his non-dominant hand was really robbed of any power it could have had by the fact that her was doing almost better then than he'd done at any point with two hands.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not that -- he's supposed to be a jerk, but a very, very talented jerk. By robbing him of that -- the fact that if nothing else, he's every bit the swordsman (and more) that he claims to be -- they've basically reduced him to nothing but a spoiled daddy's boy. Brienne's thing about people telling him he's great when he wasn't really goes into that.

This also, by the way, completely undermines the significance of Robb besting and capturing Jaime to begin with.