main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You've had finer moments, Even.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm skeptical.

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    For example, Alys Karstark was next in line to inherit Karhold if Harrion was killed, not Arnolf or Cregan.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Something solojones said in the other thread got me thinking:

"Both Kill the Lord Commander, then don't bother burning his body so you make sure he gets turned into a Wight!"

Could Coldhands actually be Mormont's reanimated corpse? I know many of us have theorized that Benjen Stark is actually Coldhands, but I had never thought of him being Mormont.

5. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Unlikely. His clothes were very faded, Sam would have recognized him even with the face covering, etc.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Nah. The theory that I find most credible is that he is Night's King, the thirteenth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know. The Night's King's body was implied to have been destroyed after his defeat. It could just be a random body-- we don't even know if he's independently minded or under the direct control of Bloodraven.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, I felt it leaned too heavily on the reader's perception that it was Benjen to be Benjen. This is what GRRM does to us; he makes us as paranoid as his characters.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I was pretty damn sad when Kevan died. He actually seemed to have his head screwed on right after he got out of Tywin's shadow.

Maybe Benjen Stark will somehow be our eyes to find out more about the Others/White Walkers in Winds of Winter? Not sure how else we'd get that info...maybe Bran.

10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    So spent a good while in hospital over the last couple of days and it's allowed me the opportunity to make some real headway into A Feast For Crows. Certainly the weakest of the books I've read so far, though the Cersei and Jaime chapters are highly interesting. Cersei being bat**** mental is highly amusing and I love Jaime's development of having a brain in the head of his capable of more than just killing. Liking his redemption quite a bit.

If there could be a book which had POV chapters from Sansa, Arya, Jaime, Cersei, Arianne, Daenerys, Tyrion and Barristan and no Bran or Greyjoy's that'd be grand.

11. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    the dothraki girls being dead, will we see the HOT LESBIANISM instead between daenarys and missandei?

I feel conflicted about whether or not I want this to happen: A part of me doesn't want to see missandei (both the character and the actress who plays her) degraded by having to service daenarys in that way -- but then there is another part of me that just desperately wants to see her boobs and ass. :p

sorry[face_blush]

12. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The fact his head was screwed on straight is the whole reason he was killed. :p

I actually think it's possible we see more about the White Walkers from many characters in the North. They may start through the Wall.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    The ending of book 5 is an excellent time for them to march on the Wall. The Night's Watch is tearing itself apart from the inside, the North is embroiled in civil war between the Boltons and the Stark loyalists (supporting Stannis, for now), the strength of the Free Folk seems to be tied up at Castle Black, and Azor Ahai just got stabbed to "death".

14. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Luckily, Game of Thrones on HBO thus the likelihood of this happening is around 90%.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    wait, Hot Pie got stabbed?!?

Mar17swgirl and Darth Guy like this.
  16. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Seriously, no one actually believes that Hot Pie is Azor Ahai.

Instead, Hot Pie is the Great Other with Patchface being Azor Ahai, I know. I know.

RC-1991 likes this.
  17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the magic on the Wall has to be broken before the Others will be able to cross it. The most likely way for that to happen is using that horn... which is all the way in Oldtown with Sam, IIRC. If it were as simple as overwhelming the garrison, they would have already done it.

18. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    True, true.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, the big issue is whether they can cross around the wall, given that it seems the wights, at least, can march underwater. The Bay of Seals and Bay of Ice could potentially be vulnerable points.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That has to be impossible. If they can go around the wall, there is no point in the French having built it in the first place. Nor is there any reason that every single winter before now wouldn't have turned out like the German invasion of France in World War II.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Wights may be able to go around, but I doubt their masters are. As scary as they are, I don't think wights alone are formidable enough to overwhelm Westeros (and the world) by themselves. It'd be pretty stupid to build an enchanted wall and not make sure the barrier extends beyond the coast.

EDIT: Something that has occurred to me repeatedly: the Long Night was thousands of years before the first Valyrians tamed dragons, right? So why are the returns of the Others and dragons presumably related to each other? Were there pre-Valyrian dragon tamers? Why would Valyrian steel, forged by dragon fire, be the key material in defeating an Other (without shattering like obsidian)?

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Maybe it's not related at all? Like how quinine, native to South America, turned out to be the single most powerful anti-malarial agent available, even though the disease is not particularly endemic to Peru.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, there hasn't been significant wight/Other experience within recorded, remembered time, so it's not as if they would have overrun Westeros every winter but for the Wall. And there's still a point in blocking 90% of the possible Other approach in the area where it's easiest for them to invade.

Guy, I'd like to think the magic extends beyond the Wall itself, but I just find it worth noting, as long as we're floating possibilities, that we don't know that it does, and it creates an interesting possible vulnerability.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Valyria first rose 5000 years before, and fell 300 years before. All the stuff with the Others was about 8000 years before -- so yeah, there's a 3000 year gap there.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    It didn't fall 300 years before, it was 100 years before the Conquest so 400 years before current time.