main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire: Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread (now with ADWD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MarcusP2, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This thread has been created in order to discuss ASoIaF / the GoT TV series in a spoiler allowed environment. Here, Rhaegar+Lyanna = Jon, Syrio Forel=Meryn Trant and Faceless Man = everybody rules the day.

I, myself, am extremely excited at a six year wait coming to an end very shortly and discovering just what the heck Jon and Dany have been up to for all this time. :D

This is going to sound oppressive, but I'll institute HTR requirements for ADWD spoilers until the end of July. Will revise accordingly if necessary.

Reminder: {hl=black} spoilers {/hl} with straight brackets instead of curly braces.

- Jello

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, what? I haven't heard any Syrio = Meryn theories. If Syrio's been beating Sansa, he's lost all credibility with me.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The only thing Syrio "is" is dead.

On the other hand, the last time I objected to an outlandish theory, it came back and slapped me in the face.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Renly wasn't so much outlandish as right there. :p

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Apparently, some German customers will be receiving their ADWD copy two weeks early because of an Amazon.de screw-up. Could we have some kind of official "NO PRE-JULY 12 ADWD SPOILERS" policy? I don't want to be stumbling across any major ADWD revelations in here.

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes, we do need to have some sort of spoiler policy for dance. Especially with novels relative to movies, and GRRM novels relative to less verbose authors, we should have time to enjoy without fear of spoilers. Could we perhaps have a few weeks of guaranteed black bars?

7. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I just read over at IGN that Natalie Dormer has been cast as Margaery Tyrell. She's a bit old for the part but since everyone's getting aged up, why the heck not, right?

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The month of July should be sufficient. I know I won't be starting ADWD until the weekend after it's released, and I plan on taking it slowly and enjoying it.

9. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Everyone is still crying about this spoiler crap?

Learn to read at an adult pace. Or spend your time reading the book instead of a forum thread about the book.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The thread's about the whole series, and I'm sure adults spend all their working hours reading instead of--say, working.

11. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i've read 3500 pages in the past month. is that adult pace enough for you?

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I think the problem is with the relative ages of characters. Even though everyone aged up the seeming age gap between characters like Jon and Arya, or Arya and Sansa have all been maintained. This is critical, because it's a defining feature of the aforementioned relationships, and therefore of the characters themselves.

I just don't see how we could keep that up with Dormer. Margaery is supposed to be like an older sister figure. Still relatable, and very much at the same place in life, only more experienced, self-assured, and impressive. Not more, at most, than the sort of admiration an underclassman might have for a peer in the latter half of secondary school. But Dormer looks hugely older than Sansa. Even with make-up, she would. Arguably, Dormer is even old enough to play her mother. I simply couldn't see someone that much older acting out any number of their scenes together. It would just look ridiculous.

Unfortunately, I'd say they almost have to have someone entirely different.

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Australia will also possibly be getting their copies early, as it seems the release date has been changed to Friday here. I will let you all know.

The Syrio = Meryn theory is simply:
    a) We never saw Syrio die.
    b) Syrio is awesome.
    c) Ergo, Syrio did not die and defeated Meryn Trant somehow.
    d) The reason he has never appeared again is because he is a Faceless Man and took on Syrio's likeness.

Since it ignores Syrio's character, can't explain why a Faceless Man would impersonate the First Sword of Braavos, or why Syrio would want to impersonate Meryn, I think it's completely stupid. :p

Edit: And remember to put {color=black} on your spoilers too in case they change the board theme. :p

14. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Right, I just don't see how this will play well. Margaery was 16 in the books and Dormer is like 31 or something. It makes the marriage to Joffrey ridiculous and Tommen...good hell, Tommen.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Maps from ADWD. These don't contain spoilers or anything--it's just that we were promised these maps in this book.

Free Cities

Valyria, Old Ghis, and Sothyros

edit: Oh, we saw Slaver's Bay in the ASOS maps. I forgot. Old news, then.

16. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    *looks at the maps*

Oh my god, getting hard to resist going off in search of ADWD discussions right now... :(

Stay strong! Stay strong! Stay strong! [face_praying]

17. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I know Bantam has enforced spoiler blocks on Westeros.org at least, to the point that they've closed their DWD forum, so you may have to look further than fansites. I think 4chan of all places was discussing it.

18. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    you're not helping. :p

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Hopefully I have the book on Friday and I can post a picture of me holding it. :p

20. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    [face_frustrated]

I suppose I wouldn't mind knowing the chapter order.

But not a thing more!

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You want to read spoilers? Madman. :p

22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I prefer the Syrio Forel = Jaqen H'ghar theory myself.

23. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    knowing the chapter order is the worst thing. because then you know who probably isnt going to die.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I really hope we'll get some confirmation that the Hound is still alive in this book. He is one of my favorite characters from the book, and his "death" in ASOS was left wide open, with Arya refusing to finish him off. I know someone else is wearing the Hound's armor later on, but I'm hoping that the Hound is somehow still alive.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Did you pay attention to the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle in AFFC? I don't think there's any doubt Sandor Clegane is still alive, even if he has no further part to play in the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.