Amph A Song of Ice and Fire: Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread (now with ADWD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MarcusP2, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm in the middle of my re-read of ASOS, and I'm paying much closer attention this time, so I'll check that out when I get to AFFC. Hell, I finally understood the point of the "Knight of the Laughing Tree" story that Meera told Bran, and this is my 4th re-read of the series!
  2. Master_Jacen Force Ghost

star 6
    every time i click on this thread i'm playing with fire. or ice?

just finished reading about asha spurning a former lover.

i bet irony is gonna come back around and he's going to be the end of her!
  3. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh. Yes, of course. I forgot this is George R.R. Martin. Silly me.
  4. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    That sort of thing can be deceptive, though. When the 7th Harry Potter novel came out, the chapter titles were released early. The second-to-last chapter was called "King's Cross," and many people interpreted it as being a part of the epilogue, with Harry and his friends going back home after defeating Voldemort. Of course, actually reading the novel shows this isn't the case, so don't take too much stock in the chapter order.
  5. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes, as deceptive as looking at the chapter order for ASOS and saying, "Hmm, Catelyn's chapters stop in the middle of the book. Hmmm." :p
  6. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    So who do you think the Knight was?
  7. Master_Jacen Force Ghost

star 6
    it goes even deeper than that though. you'll recall at the end of the red wedding, the hound splattered arya with an axe. she didn't have another chapter for another 300 or 400 pages. quite nervewracking wondering if she was alive. if you had the chapter list beforehand, you would know that she survived.

knowing such a thing removes a whole lot of the pacing and wondering.
  8. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    I just thought it was a random story, having nothing to do with the history of Ned, Howland Reed, Lyanna, Rhaegar, Aerys, etc. But now that I've re-read it closer, especially with the Reeds asking Bran multiple times if Ned had told him that story, I understand it.

As I've re-read the series this time, it is really clear that Jon is the offspring of Rhaegar and Lyanna. The clearest passage is from Ned's recollection of that tourney, where he remembers Rhaegar bypassing his wife Elia to declare Lyanna the Queen of Love & Beauty.

Well, when I read ACOK the first time, after Theon "killed" Bran and Rickon, I frantically skimmed the rest of the book until I found that last Bran chapter.
  9. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I will laugh my arse off if Jon != Rhaegar and Lyanna (and GRRM has another plausible explanation.) Would be an epic fanbase troll with 15 years of work gone into it.
  10. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Though somewhat less impressive insofar as least 12 of those years were spent being lazy rather than seriously working towards the completion of any novel.
  11. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Yes yes, I'm sure he was doing nothing in that time, and it's not like he rewrote an entire book twice in that time.

I really hope that the particular issues he experienced with this time in the story are not repeated and he can pick up the pace to COK/SOS speeds from now on.

They have to start filming book 6 in 4 years or so so he best get cracking. :p
  12. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    GRRM wasn't "being lazy." He originally planned for book 4 to be set five years after the end of book 3. He wrote most of book 4 (being comprised of the plots of AFFC and ADWD) with that five year gap in mind. Then he changed his mind and had to scrap the whole thing. When he was mostly done with book 4 with the new dates in mind, he realized that the story was way too big to fit into one novel. He then had to choose whether to cut the story in half with most of the plotlines unfinished, or to separate the characters and finish their plotlines that way.

He chose the latter method, but that carried its own problems. He had to make the storylines fit together, which ended up being pretty much a complete rewrite of the story for book 4. Then he had to repeat that process for book 5.

So it's not unreasonable that he took as long as he did to finish books 4 and 5. When he gets started on books 6 and 7, the process should be much quicker.
  13. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    He better not make us wait five years for a book called The Winds of Winter.

I'm pretty sure you all know the titles of the final two books, but I HTR'd just in case.
  14. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I will say that the new title for book 7 is much lamer than the old one.
  15. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I suppose you all should now I am extremely bitter about being forced to wait this long, and therefore choose to call him lazy as a way of venting my considerable displeasure.
  16. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Maybe you should've spent 12 years reading the books, so you won't be shocked by such revelations in ADwD as 'Tommen and Myrcella are Jaime's children' and 'Sansa and Alayne are the same person'. :p
  17. Master_Jacen Force Ghost

star 6
    dude. those are some major spoilers. maybe give a bit of warning beforehand?

i mean, i know this is spoilers allowed. but damn, marcus.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    I heard that it'll be revealed that Robert Baratheon is fat.

Also, I've been waiting for a Dany chapter since I finished ASOS. That's like . . . almost a decade of waiting. Stupid AFFC. Wocky, you just read the books like yesterday or something.
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    He's still fat? That would be a spoiler. Wight Robert?
  20. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Seeing as I read books in their entirety, rather than just skipping to the POVs I liked, I finished quite some time before you did, thank you.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    Oh, like anything ever happened in a Jon or Davos POV.
  22. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Hey Davos is awesome. If he actually dies in ADWD I'll be super sadface.

Although it might send Stannis crazy so that could be cool.
  23. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Well, I'll grant you that it'd be just as well if the whole Wall storyline never existed.
  24. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I get the feeling that you don't like the Wall storyline you're going to dislike the future books more and more.
  25. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Jon, uh, got busy with Ygritte. And Davos is just awesome how he stands up to Melisandre.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.