main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire: Spoilers Allowed Discussion Thread (now with ADWD spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community' started by MarcusP2, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It was known those locations weren't going to appear.

It was known.

2. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Well I didn't know.

3. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    We're actually lucky to get much post AFFC action at all (which you can probably tell given the low number of chapters from those characters.) The stuff from the Vale was moved to Winds of Winter.

4. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Right, I knew that this was primarily going to be the non-AFFC characters, but Martin said they would come back together and we'd see a bit of the South. That is why I was hoping to get at least a chapter from those locations I mentioned.

5. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    About 75% through the book.

There are ... to be entirely honest ... a lot of pointless sequences in the book. There are entire chapters that feel like filler material about boring characters. Knowing GRRM, these boring characters are or will be important and the events in those sequences are or will be important, but their chapters still feel like boring filler material. Even the Jon chapters, so far, feel like they're longer than they should be, and I like Jon. Dany spends a lot of her time doing stupid stuff and making bad decisions.

BUT.

Holy crap Dany on a dragon! :eek: That makes up for everything.

Other highlights so far: Bran's adventures with the weirwoods, Brienne's brief reappearance, the intriguing Melisandre chapter that explains a lot about her magic. That's about it.

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I think the book is far too long, in that it's another AFFC. It's well written, there's a lot of interesting character moments...but again, nothing happens much to move the plot along except at the very end. AND CLIFFHANGERS AGAIN MY GOD MARTIN IF YOU TAKE 6 YEARS TO WRITE THE NEXT BOOK I WILL END YOU.

Oh and I wonder if Wocky will pick up on Jon Connigton being gay for Rhaegar? :p

7. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Just finished the book.

Jon Connington is totally gay for Rhaegar. :p

As for the rest of it ... aaargh, GRRM, y u do dis? The Dany sequences were amazing and I love her. Randomly killing Quentyn Martell, okay, that I can get behind as he was a doomed minor character from the start. Randomly killing Kevan Lannister, likewise and likewise. But Jon Snow?! After five freaking books of building him up? We better at least find out who his parents were ...

Need the next one now. :(

8. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    As if Melisandre isn't going to kiss of life Jon if he dies anyway.

9. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    She better..

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Though given Varys' role in backing Young Griff/Aegon, "the mummer's dragon" need not necessarily refer to a "fake" Dragon at all.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    For those who are interested, we seem to have worked out a formula that 11X-14=Page # where x=% completion by Kindle.

12. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Except it didn't say 'the mummer's dragon', it *showed* a fake dragon.

Though this is prophecy after all. I'd actually like Aegon to be real, but have the Targaryen madness.

13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, the cloth dragon makes its appearance during the more overtly symbolic section of Dany's experience. That's not to say I think it's at all implausible for Young Griff to be a fake Aegon -- he may well be, and that'd make for the bigger "twist" -- (I will LOL if he's an actual bastard of Ned and Ashara) but I'd not take it as a given, yet. I can see it going either way.

I'd rather he were the real Aegon, though. It makes things more interesting.

Though, real or pretender, I'll be surprised if he lives to the end of the series. Anyone want to place bets on him having his head dashed in by "Robert Strong"?
    :p

14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Also, how awesome is Victarion? 'I want to get as many gods on my side as possible...I know, I'll burn 7 people and make them fall into the sea! 7, Rh'llor, Drowned God all checked off!'

Also, the guy has an arm made of a volcano. Sweet.

15. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    After five books, I can't decide whether Tyrion the Pragmatic or Arya the Battle-Ninja is shaping up to be my favorite character.

And Jon! Holy Crap! Didn't see that coming. I had almost forgotten the "Don't get too attached to characters" rule.

16. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    How awesome is this?
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/5937718041_6a69c09c84_o.jpg

17. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Wow. Saved.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I wouldn't worry. The chances of him staying dead are... well, low.

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So I finished a Storm of Swords over vacation and I have to say it's my favorite. The Red Wedding had me close to tears. Just so unexpected, yet it's just so...perfect. The Frey's don't seem like the kind of people to just sit and take a major diss like Robb marrying Jeyne.

Joffrey totally got what he deserved. I was so happy.

Tywin got shot on the crapper! Best. Death. Ever.

Oberyn vs. Gregor was awesome. Love seeing the Dornish play a bigger part in Feast.

Overall adored Storm, and Feast is actually pretty good so far. I'm about 1/3 of the way through and I don't understand people's animosity for it. There's some great worldbuilding, Cersei POV, Brienne POV, and some good random POVS. I'm liking it.

20. Quixotic-Sith

Jun 22, 2001
    Uh, there's at least one word you'll have to edit there.

21. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Stupid rules.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You respect the rules.

23. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I can respect the rules and still think them stupid.

24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    While I liked it, too, I'm not surprised that those who waited five years between ASoS and AFFC were less than thrilled. Nor am I surprised people began to sour even more as ADWD was pushed back time and again.

25. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Ah. A long, 5-year long wait would be rather disappointing to not see any of the main faves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.