main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion A spinoff film may be the first Star Wars I don't watch at the theater

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wow way to oversimplify. Do we need the Lando comic? did we need the Leia comic? did we need the han or chewie comics? did we need heir to the jedi or weapon of the jedi? No. They are good stories for the most part regardless cause fun fact, you dont NEED to tell a story for you to tell one. you can just have a story in that era cause people like that era. You can tell stories between TPM and AOTC. There is 10 years of story potential to use up. Do you really not get that not every story has to be filling in a gap? New characters or just little stories with existing characters in order to flesh them out do exist. You act as if unless we 100% require a story to be told then we cant tell it. The Shatterpoint novel was not NEEDED to make ROTS work or anything but it was a great novel. i do not at all get this sentiment. No offence but since when does art have to be essential in order to merit its existence?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  2. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    You said prequels... and art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    And there is nothing wrong with that.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'll take this metaphor further, saying this is saying we don't NEED Empire Strikes Back, I mean in the grand scheme of things did we REALLY need to know what happened after a New Hope. No, not really that story was a one in done back in 1977. But they made a sequel and it was great. (Well they made Marvel comics first but that's beside the point). Point being this is like saying we didn't need a single Star Wars movie ever again.

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Exactly. the point of storytelling is to well tell a story. It does not matter if every individual cares about that story or not, nor does it matter if that story is needed within a greater whole. You can make good (and bad) stories whether there is any reason for them to exist from a "logical" perspective.

Thank you!!

Also when the heck has something had to be good to be art or to have a reason to be made?
    We should really just stop this debate because judging by that last post this is gonna become a PT vs OT thing simply because I said PT stories have a right to be made. I am really sorry I like something you do not and I so honestly from the bottom of my heart feel bad that some people want stories that you don't feel are needed. it sucks that people would want to consume media that you dislike. Don't they know that your opinion is the be all end all? the nerve of some people.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  6. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    i think some people really do believe we dont need another SW movie ever again. whether they be PT fans, OT fans, or just lucas fans.

why they come to the new movie threads to talk about how they wont be seeing the new movies. i have no clue though.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    6 movies from years ago or more movies for the rest of time? More movies for the rest of time.

MotivateR5D4 and vncredleader like this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Hmmm....
    Once 7,8,9 are done and are effectively the publicly accepted Star Wars, I think the OT Stories will stop happening. It'll be Knights Of Ren, Maz, the Battle of jakku, whatever pops up in the new movies... It'll be all ST Stories.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Does it have to carry significance why not just...A movie...Like Republic Commandos...or...General Grievous (Lets make him cool again) A day in the life on the battlefield....Young Count Dooku (Oh i'd see that) Qui-Gon Jinn.....learn more about him. There's some ideas.

vncredleader likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm ready. Post ROTJ is one of the best era's in SW imo.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  11. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Agreed. And one of the most untapped in the new eu.

Jid123Sheeve and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Keep that list my friend and see if you actually get the order right. My bet is after 9 it's Knights of Ren hands down.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The old EU had dozens of great stories. Wouldn't be surprised to see many different things in the Post ROTJ universe.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Betcha a post ROTJ animated series happens. I'm really thinking that one is a given.

smudger9 likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    If that's the way you see things then that's fine. But I do not. As far as the comics and such go, I'm completely ambivalent on such things. I only really care for the films. That's my opinion. I respect yours, so I expect the same from you regarding mine

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I would respect your opinion if you did not act like the PT fans need to prove that stories about stuff we like "deserves" or "needs" to be told. You really are trying to play the victim after you just insulted PT fans? You come along and act like we have to earn respect or something or the right to have out era acknowledged then you act like you are some saint just voicing his opinion? maybe it was unintentional but I was very offended by your initial comment. That felt like you where mocking the PT and its fans as if we had to have an untold story that "needed" to be told in order for us to matter or our era to get some acknowledgment. I hope I just misread the situation.

17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    You've misread the situation.

18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Good. I was under the impression you where being sarcastic about stuff like "pt fans help me out". I am on edge as of late. lots and lots of fighting with people I thought I considered friends, over fandom stuff so I am twitchy.

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    All this I'm not seeing the movie because its disney / its era / its not a story worth telling is just attention seeking thats getting too much.......err attention. From me included. Whilst I find the reasons odd I'm not going to waste any more time on it because I believe everyone on here will see it eventually whether on cinema, on DVD or on TV. Each to their own.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I totally get the KOTOR part. To me, that's the number one standalone (or even more films) I'm waiting for.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Blazer-Smith like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The first 6 movies and the old EU is my story. Everything from here on out is just for fun.

Not going to sweat what stories are told. Just along for the ride.

Going to try everything at least once. It's SW. I'm bound to like at least one thing about it.

If if its completely horrible, there is always the next movie or story. Lose one but plenty of others to pick up the slack.

All director's, composers, stories set in a new era, first story of a trilogy, etc. won't be judged that harshly the first time.

Plenty of authors in the old EU told many great stories. Not going to sweat if a director goes a bit out there.

It will take a couple bad stories from a person for me to be turned off unless they completely are vomit worthy from the get-go.

Sarge and Blazer-Smith like this.
  22. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Because a Han Solo specific movie isn't all that interesting of an idea to me. I don't have any interest in Han's backstory, or what he was doing prior to him appearing in the cantina. I'm not going to spend money to go see it just because it is Star Wars if everything else about the idea is uninteresting.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  23. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    I was super-disappointed with TFA, and I was none-too-fond of TPM or AotC either. So with that being said, 3 of the last 4 movies ranged from "meh" (TPM & AotC) to "utter garbage" (TFA). (I don't count Ep 3 in this as I thought RotS was absolutely excellent). The franchise is going to have to win me back as a fan at this point. I probably won't bother seeing Rogue One or Ep 8 at the theater, I'll wait for them to come out on DVD. If they're decent, then I might go see Ep 9 at the theater when it comes out, if not, then I'll be going the DVD route for all future SW movies, and that's if I even bother with them at all. As it stands 3, 4, 5, & 6 are my saga.

24. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    well isnt that special?

25. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

See you opening night.

Krueger and smudger9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.