main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Spiritual Battle

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Caine, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Re-reading Jacen's vision in Balance Point, I found this particular sentence very telling:
    No military force could stop this invasion, because it was a spiritual battle. (p.13, hardcover)
    This particular sentence lends credence to the notion that the Jedi will prove victorious in the end - but action alone is not the answer. With understanding, reasoning and a deeper understanding of the Force, can the Jedi prevail against the Yuuzhan Vong. And this deeper understanding will add to the current idea, not take away anything from it.

With the exception of Luke Skywalker, only Jacen cares enough about an awe-inspiring and universal Force which includes the Yuuzhan Vong. Only Jacen's characterization is willing to waste the time to fight this seemingly unprofitable but necessary spiritual battle.

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Actually, I agree, up to a point. I do think that in order to defeat the Vong, that their belief's will have to be challenged in some way. Their whole society is based on their religion, and to create doubt and mistrust in their beliefs should be part of the plan in defeating the Vong. I hope that Luke will have something to do with finding out such information and that he will use it.
    As for Jacen, it depends on what happens to him if/when he gets rescued.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I hope that the Jedi decide to act on what Anakin started with the Shamed Ones--creating the belief that the Jedi were actually saviors. The Shamed Ones were said to be spreading rumors that the Jedi were capable of redeeming them, as Anakin had allegedly done for Vua Rapuung.

If they can appreciate this memory of Anakin's exploits, then they could find themselves with an abundant amount of allies (assuming there's plenty of Shamed Ones)already behind the Yuuzhan Vong borders.

Not only will such an alliance make the Jedi privy about Yuuzhan Vong culture and technology, but let us not forget that Anakin learned how to bond with the lambent crystal while working with the Shamed caste. Perhaps, if the Jedi forge an alliance with the Shamed Ones, they could be taught to establish similar bonds and will be able to sense the Vong as Anakin had.

4. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    "With the exception of Luke Skywalker, only Jacen cares enough about an awe-inspiring and universal Force which includes the Yuuzhan Vong. Only Jacen's characterization is willing to waste the time to fight this seemingly unprofitable but necessary spiritual battle."

Hold on there, Caine, Almost every Jedi we've been priviledged to look upon in the NJO has come across this dilemna in some way or another. While some like Kyp and Jaina have shunted the philosophical quest aside for more immediate concerns they've all pondered the problem at some point.
    While I agree that Jacen seems more focused upon it than any of the others, let's not forget the discoveries made by Anakin on Yavin IV while fixing his lightsaber. I think that shows that anyone can come up with an aswer if they're willing to stop being engrossed by the roller coaster of a war for survival for long enough tgo sit and think about the problem.

In support of your supposition though I'd like to quote the uncontestable George Lucas from the fighting featurette on the Episode I DVD Disc 2. "Jedi are mediators, and peacekeepers, not warriors. I did not want the Jedi to be superheroes, I wanted them to be more spiritual than that." This puts credence to the Spiritual battle part of the NJO.
    In fact I think one of the main points of the NJO is the need to sit and think things over in a situation (like a war for survival) where it's too easy to be swept away by the tides of current events.

5. Caine

Mar 3, 2002
    About the Shamed Ones and Anakin, I'm sure we'll see someone finish what Anakin started there. An alliance or partnership with the Jedi in some respect at the very least.

I'm not denying other Jedi have come across this problem at all, I-poodoo; but what I am looking at are the characterizations. Although Anakin made an important discovery, his progression and development has been outward, perfecting physical strategies rather than spending the time worrying about an inner, spiritual battle.

Although Anakin comes across an important discovery at Yavin IV, him and other characters really do not care to invest the time and effort in deriving the How and Why behind these discoveries.

Kyp's character strikes me as one who looks for results. Do you really believe he would care to waste the time and effort on a potentially fruitless inner spiritual battle?

I'm looking at the characterizations, and my original statement stands, seen in this respect. Only Luke Skywalker & Jacen Solo really revere and trust an awe-inspiring Force to quest down a potentially useless spiritual journey for others.

Kyp & Anakin use the Force results. But this spiritual aspect is equally as important.

6. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    In Conquest, did Luke Skywalker not mention his theory that Anakin uses the Force as though it was a tool? *Nods in acknowledgement to Caine*

7. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Thanks for pointing out that GL quote, I-poodoo:
    "Jedi are mediators, and peacekeepers, not warriors. I did not want the Jedi to be superheroes, I wanted them to be more spiritual than that." -GL

8. I-poodoo

May 1, 2001
    Yeah, Caine, when I heard that, I smiled wider than the grand canyon. Sorta reveals a good deal about the NJO, and the Jedi's supposed role in it, don't you think?

And i agree that Jacen seems to be the one most suited at this point to fight this "spiritual battle", but let's not count out the darkhorses just yet, you'll never know if Kyp or Jaina will grow spiritual biceps, depsite their pragmatic natures.

-Shrugs shoulders-It could happen.

I mean let's not forget how an undeniable pragmatist like Han, became a great hero in an idealistic crusade (the rebellion).

9. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Definitely does reveal quite a bit.

Fandom crying for proaction on the part of Jedi always befuddled me during times of the war, a circumstance begging for cautious discretion and restraint from the Jedi.

In many instances, they want action simply for the sake of action - so they can say they did something. So they can say they inflicted damage.

And here I thought the Jedi weren't really superheroes.

10. I-poodoo

May 1, 2001
    Actually Superheroes are more reactive than proactive, which the pro-proactive fans usually abhor.

Ya know the bad guys gotta rob the bank first, or the mad scientist has to build the killer robot, or the megalomaniac has to begin the first phase in his overly-complicated scheme to take over the world, before a superhero does some action.
    That's reaction, not proaction, yet on the other hand what I think George means is that action (reactive, proactive, or otherwise) is not the prime aspect of what the Jedi do. I think George means that the Jedi are more contemplative then active.

11. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Dang, I wish the NR military would fight, but I think your right, definetly a spiritual battle...

12. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Good point, I agree with your interpretation of that quote.

And my point is that this contemplative, ponderous and inner spiritual battle is significant for the Jedi. Action for the sake of action is not or action alone is not.

As useless and whiny as Jacen's musings may sound to Kyp, he will find this spiritual battle important down the line.

13. Sith_Lord_of_Silence

Sith_Lord_of_Silence Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2002
    I totally agree that this is a spiritual battle the likes of which the Jedi have never faced. They are fighting for the very existence of the Force. I've said this a few times in other forums, but I sincerely believe that this war with the Vong will redefine the Force in the GFFA. The Vong just chip away at the Force by eradicating the life that sustains it. With each conquest and colonization by the Vong the Force gets that much closer to annihilation. If the Vong win and completely cleanse the GFFA the Force will be gone...eliminated because the Vong don't exist in the Force.

The Jedi have to see this battle on those terms, I think. They have to realize that they are not fighting just for the survival of the New Republic and for the lives of the people in the universe. They are fighting for the very existence of the Force itself.

14. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

A very desperate way of looking at it, but certainly acceptable. That is, fighting for the very power that give Jedi their advantage: the Force.

15. I-poodoo

May 1, 2001
    "The Jedi have to see this battle on those terms, I think. They have to realize that they are not fighting just for the survival of the New Republic and for the lives of the people in the universe. They are fighting for the very existence of the Force itself."

That's just it, Sithlord, they aren't seeing the big picture and it's the thing that's been most pissing me off in the NJO.
    The Jedi are being too focused upon the moment for some reason that baffles me. They seem to me to be stuck in the moment, and they can't get out. They are focused upon the battle they are fighting with the Vong, and the peace brigade instead of the war against evil they should be contemplating.
    The Vong is just one more manifestation of evil they must oppose, yet they aren't approaching it in a contemplative and wise way. The Jedi seem to be trying to become a super-powered millitary force, or overeactive superheroes instead, and it's just not working.

16. Mighty_Green_Midget

Mighty_Green_Midget Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    All of this only serves to further the theory that it will be JACEN who comes to the "unifying understanding of the Force" that Kyp, Anakin, and Jaina were talking about. Jaina has already felt that its NOT going to be her, there's not much a chance for it to be Anakin at this point, ( ;) ) so it seems like (of the Solo kids) its going to be Jacen.

17. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

That's just it, I-poodoo. The Jedi appear bogged down in a military and physical battle; the Yuuzhan Vong are pushing the Jedi like pawns drawn to battle when their real concerns in this conflict lie elsewhere.

Also don't forget that DT: Ruin swayed Jacen away from this bigger picture. Luke, Jaina and Co. persuaded him that he cannot dwell on a bigger picture when immediate concerns regarding his friends and family are more pressing. In fact, he promised to leave the bigger picture alone among the other Jedi towards the end of Ruin with the Ithorian priest.

18. Rogue_of-Peace

Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Well, if Jacen is imprisoned with the Vong (for now excluding shaping and torturing Jacen immediatly) Jacen should have plenty of time to think about these issues.

I believe KT said in her interview how NJO would be a spiritual battle. I'm trying to wonder how MWS would implement this in Traitor, based on HD.

BTW Caine, tell us @ Jacen FC about any thoughts you have and link us to the thread, I usually check there to see what's going on 1st.

19. Caine

Mar 3, 2002

Actually Rogue_of-Peace, many people on this forum have read Stover's Caine books.

So with regards to your question about how Stover would implement this spiritual battle given his previous work, I'm just not sure. Anyone else care to speculate?

I think someone awhile back was saying a revelation into the nature of the Yuuzhan Vong Gods with respect to the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.