main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends A Spoonful of Waffles (Monday Mush challenge entry, Qui-Gon/Dooku) Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jinngerbread, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Title: A Spoonful of Waffles
    Author: Jinngerbread
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Dooku
    Summary: A little breakfast in bed makes Dooku a bit flustered.
    Author's Notes: This is for the Monday Mush Mania challenge of non-romantic mush. Many thanks to Persephone_Kore for her assistance in prodding my Dooku muse. [:D]

It was rare that Tavis Dooku would be the type to sleep later in the mornings. Most mornings, he was up with the sun going about his early morning routine, meditating, exercising, and having breakfast with his apprentice, before attending to the scheduled events for the day.

This morning, however, he was still asleep. Still asleep, but he knew he had to get up eventually, even if he was still sore and tired. He couldn't lie in bed all day, even if he were on light duty. Light duty did not mean an all day nap.

A light knock came at the door, but he didn't get up to answer it, yet. There was a few moments pause, before the knock came again.

Dooku finally moved out from under his pillows to sit up. Qui-Gon needed something, likely. He sat up slowly, wincing as his tender side twisted slightly with the motion as he did so. The pain was a gift. It let his body know where it had been injured. He directed healing energies towards his injury and the pain lessened.

The knock came again, more insistently. "Master?"

"Come in, Qui-Gon," Dooku said and barely a heartbeat later, Qui-Gon entered. The fourteen-year-old teenager was balancing a rather large looking tray in his hands. "What's this?" he asked, glancing at the boy.

"Breakfast," his apprentice answered helpfully, putting his burden on the dresser.

Dooku's brow furrowed as he sat up a little more carefully. "Breakfast?"

"Of course, Master," the boy chirped, coming over to Dooku. He took his pillows and began to fluff them, and then piled them on top of each other.

Dooku blinked at his apprentice for a moment, "In bed?"

"Yes, Master," Qui-Gon said, nodding.

Dooku leaned back against the pillows, shifting them slightly to get a better position. Moments later, Qui-Gon put his tray he had been carrying across his lap. "Breakfast," his apprentice said with a smile.

Dooku examined the tray. On the tray was a disgustingly cheery array of waffles stacked neatly off to one side, a lump of what appeared to be rapidly melting butter arranged in the form of a smiley face, with a sprig of herb for the nose.

He picked up the herb and sniffed delicately. Ahh. Floramint. A most refreshing choice, he admitted inwardly.

A small jar of syrup was artfully arranged next to the waffle stack and he picked up the jar. Julaberry syrup, he discovered. A small plate of toast and tradalon bacon were to the right of the waffles and syrup. As he examined further, he noted there was also a glass of orange juice, an herbal tea, and milk. Also included, for whatever reason, was an orange and red Corellian Firethorn in fake crystalline vase.

"Why did you fix me breakfast?" he asked. It unnerved him, really, that Qui-Gon had gone to this much trouble for him. True he was on light duty, but that hardly meant that he could not get out of bed and make his own food.

Qui-Gon glanced up at him, a bit of surprise in his young face. "I wanted to be helpful," he said uncertainly. "You were injured rather badly, Master. I was going to take care of you while you're recovering."

"I was," Dooku agreed. "But I?m not as injured now," he pointed out. He was even more flustered that Qui-Gon thought he needed looking after. He didn't need such things; he was the one who should be looking after the boy, not the other way around. He was injured yes, but not an invalid. He was neglecting his duty as a Master by not feeding the child. "Here," he said, handing the boy a plate of toast and a waffle, and a strip of the bacon.

His apprentice looked bewildered. "But these are for you," he protested.

"Yes, but aren't you hungry?

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely Qui-Gon teaching Dooku a lesson=D==D=

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    He nibbled in silence for a few minutes before Qui-Gon spoke up again, "So does this mean I should bring you breakfast in bed more often?" he asked cheekily.

His master laughed ruefully, "I could get used to it perhaps if I had no choice," he smirked, before he finished it and reached for the glass of orange juice.

Qui-Gon grinned a little at that. "I could too, Master," he piped up.

"Brat," Dooku said affectionately, finishing the orange juice and now picking up the tea.

"Always, Master," Qui-Gon chirped. "Always."

Nicely done indeed! A wonderful peek into their relationship. =D=

4. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    There was an even longer pause, before he said, "and when the padawan teaches the Master, the pairing is right."

That was beautiful! =D=

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was adorable!

There was an even longer pause, before he said, "and when the padawan teaches the Master, the pairing is right."

A lesson learned.

Great job.

6. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    It's loverly! I especially liked the bit about the waffle arrangement being "disgustingly cheery." Qui-Gon must've been to Denny's at some point . . .

Learning to graciously accept . . . that's a hard lesson for some. It's usually easier to be in the position to give, to protect, etc. Glad Dooku learned it--and in such a pleasant manner, too!

*contented sigh*

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww....that was lovely!

How very like Qui-Gon to want to take care of his injured Master

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Nice, indeed. Here's a public-domain muffin for you.

9. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aww, this was wonderful! [face_love]

I loved Padawan Qui-Gon, and how he was taking such good care of his master. [face_love]

Loved your characterization of Dooku, and I'm glad he finally accepted his perfectly-arranged breakfast! :D

Thanks for sharing this, Jinngerbread! [face_love] :D =D=

10. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    awwwwww

11. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Awwwwwwwww...this slipped past me on Monday, so I was glad I went back to double check the MMM thread. Wonderful non-romantic mush! Just wonderful. :)

Bravo! =D=

12. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    earlybird-obi-wan Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

VaderLVR64 Thanks! I had a lot of fun with it :D

Golden_Jedi Thank you! I'm glad you think so!

Dianethx Thanks Diane, it's one Dooku needed to learn, and sometimes we all need to think about once in awhile :)

Ara-gon I figured Dooku wasn't the type to like cutesy things, especially early in the morning :p Where as Qui-Gon would think it was a sweet idea and he states he prefers Waffle House over Dennys ;) :p And you know that's a funny thing about people in not liking to accept help, but we all need to learn the lesson. Glad you enjoyed it!

Kelia Thank you, I figured Qui-Gon who takes care of sick animals would definitely take care of his injured Master :)

DarthIshtar Yay! I like muffins, public domain or not :p Free food is always excellent :D Thanks for reading!

Bastet Thank you so very much. Dooku was actually a pain in my neck to write :p But with Persphone_Kore helping me, we beat him into submission but he put up a good fight!

JediKaren :D Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Jade Pilot Well better late than never, I always say, and I really adored your entry for that too, wish you'd extend it! :D *nudge* hint hint :p Thanks for reading!

13. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *chuckle* An interesting pairing for the MMM challenge - and an enjoyable one. It was just awesome to see Qui-Gon as a Padawan :)

Great little vig!

14. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    "I could get used to it..."

Who wouldn't want to get used to breakfast in bed? Awwwww, Qui-Gon is so, so cute here.

Well done. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.