main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive A Spot in the Void - Aleria's art {started: 10/4/07 updated: 13/4/07 - digital art pieces}

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Aleria, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aleria

Aleria Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2007
    Okay, here it goes - my first art thread!
    I've been drawing Star Wars art for about four years now, but it took me quite a while before getting the courage to share my work with anyone. You guys get the honor! Critique will be much appreciated, so please speak your minds.

This is a piece I drew about two years ago. It's done with aquarel pencils, and still quite rough around the edges.
    The Emperor's Hand

I'll do my best to give you more to see asap. Both old and very new pieces!

2. Rebel_Radio

Rebel_Radio Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006
    Great job! :D I like her expression and the way her hand is clenched. It makes you wonder... did she lose a close friend or something? Post more soon! [face_praying]

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Welcome to Fan Art, Aleria!

You have a nice style going on here. I like the loose, animated feel to your work. There are some anatomical problems with the figure - especially with the hands being a bit too small for the body and the head a bit blocky, but they are an easy fix. I think you've done a real nice job with this! Keep it up and don't be shy to post more of your work. :)

4. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi Aleria! [:D]
    Welcome to Fanarts!

And I love Mara Jade and therefore this drawing. :p
    I think the body looks great so far, I'd only concertrate on the face a bit more now, perhaps. Maybe moving the mouth slightly more downwards? [face_thinking]
    Don't know, up to you. I really like it, esp the hands. Omg, I can't draw hands for my life! [face_blush]

Would love to see more of your work! :)

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Welcome to Fan Art, Aleria! I'm glad you "got up the nerve:" you'll find we're a pretty amiable bunch here, so there's nothing to fear--and we always welcome new artists!

I like this Mara Jade piece--good dynamic pose (very MJ there!) and a bit of that characteristic glower on her face. I like the two-piece costuming, too--something different! You have a nice perspective of her saber arm--it's held out from her body just a bit, as it would be, holding her ignited weapon in this position--I agree with our moderator that there are a couple of small anatomy issues, but nothing glaring (to me anyway). The hands do seem a bit small, and you might want to just look closely at your own hands for models when trying to draw things like fists (which are very tough to get right--the proper curling of the fingers and thumb require close attention to how the hand actually moves and articulates): stand at the mirror, put your own hand into the position you're trying to draw and study it for a while (and if you need a "lightsaber hilt," a broom handle can often suffice nicely! lol! I know this from experience! ;) ). I have a link to a great tutorial for hands if you're interested--just let me know. I think this piece would really benefit from some shading, if you feel up to putting some in: it would contour the figure more, and give it some good volume and depth. Shading is always good! ;) A very nice piece to share first (we have a lot of Jade fans here!), and we'll be looking forward to seeing more very soon! Again, welcome!

FF

6. Todan

Todan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    Hello there welcome Aleria ,I like your pic it rocks

keep up the good work

Todan

7. Aleria

Apr 8, 2007
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Rebel_Radio - Thanks. I never really thought about a particular moment or event for Mara to be reacting to, actually. If I remember correctly, what was going through my mind was more about her anger and hatred towards Luke at the time.

HS29 - I'm glad I was able to capture some movement to the pose, it has been my problem to make people in my pictures look stiff like stone. And hands are a neverending battle for me! As for the blocky head, I hadn't even realised that before. But I do dare to think I've gotten slightly better with heads since I drew this piece.

Chilla - I love Mara's character, too. Jaina is my other fav character. :) I've been working mostly on different kinds of faces, trying to correct former miscalculations/errors, what ever you want to call it... I'm pretty happy with the body also, and those hands are maybe the best ones I've yet drawn. Though they still need much more practice!

FF - Wow, a long commentary! :D When I drew this picture I didn't notice the effect of the sabre arm looking like being held out of the rest of her body. What I was thinking, and trying to repeat from a comic picture, was her readying the sabre for a shoving attack. You are widening my perspectives! :) And thanks for the tip about the mirror and broom. I had tried to look at my hands and drawing them before, but I have never gotten them quite right. Also, it would be great to see that tutorial! And about the shading, I've done a lot of that since this piece!

Todan - Thank you very much!

Thank you to all of you for this amazing critique! I'm sure it will help, and at least make me concentrate on the mentioned parts. Okay, I'll try to get myself around to scanning a few of my other older pencil pictures this weekend.
    As for now, here are a few digital art pieces. They're very simple and mostly just ordinary picture manipulation.
    Tahiri
    Jacen (Though I later realized that it's probably Anakin...)
    Jaina - Great One
    The Solo twins

[b][color=indigo]EDIT:[/color][/b]
    Since the first post for some odd reason won't let me edit it, I'll edit this post instead. The reason for the edit, is to put an index of posted pieces on this post to help keeping track of new arrivals.
    (FAC - Fan Art Class)

So here it is then...

[b]Drawings:[/b]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/rebelstar/kuvat/art_mara.jpg]The Emperor's Hand - Mara[/link]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/fanfics/burden_han.jpg]Father's despair - Han[/link]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/fanfics/burden_jag-jaina.jpg]A Mutual Dream - Jaina/Jag[/link]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/fanfics/jaina_nose.jpg]Jaina[/link] FAC [b][color=indigo]NEW![/color][/b]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/fanfics/mara_pose.jpg]Mara - Sacrifice[/link] FAC [b][color=indigo]NEW![/color][/b]

[b]Digital:[/b]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/rebelstar/kuvat/art_tahiri_girl.jpg]Tahiri[/link]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/rebelstar/kuvat/art_jacen_gardener.jpg]Anakin's Spirit[/link]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/rebelstar/kuvat/art_jaina_greatone.jpg]Jaina - Great One[/link]
    [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/rebelstar/kuvat/art_twins_fate.jpg]The Solo twins[/link]

8. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Same here! :eek: :)

You were right, it's Anakin. (from the japanese cover of Traitor)

And the Jaina fanart piece you've used is one of the my fav one and one of the best I've ever seen. You happen to know who did it? [face_batting]

And I love the Solo twins. I find it a bit disturbing that the ring of the planet ends so apruptly to Jacen's left, but the very idea is already great. =D=

Well done!

PS: Go back to your first post and click edit. Then write into the title/header line the date you've updated and maybe as well what you've added. That helps others to know when you've updated and you get more replies. :)

9. Aleria

Apr 8, 2007
    Chilla - The Solo twins piece is my favourite. And that the planet's ring seems to have a gap in it is already in the original picture. At first I thought it looked a bit weird also, but it's just because the shadow of the planet hides a part of the ring... Simple physics, I was never that great at it! :D
    I don't actually know who's work the original Jaina picture is. It's absolutely amazing! I think I found it from Google and got the idea for that little piece.
    If someone knows who did it, please tell me so I can give that artist credit for it. [face_praying]

Oh, and thanks for the tip of editing the title! I had totally forgotten...

10. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    wow I really love how you have used colours really bold on your picture of Mara, her posture certainly says she means business too, glad i'm not on the receiving end of that, D:
    I particuarly like the tones of her hair :)

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    A nice series of wallies, Aleria! I especially love the "Solo Twins:" a most foretelling quote there, too... :( I also really like the Tahiri one--she's one of my fav characters, and I wish she'd get more page time in the newer novels... **grumbles** ;) :D Keep up the great work!

FF

12. Aleria

Apr 8, 2007
    After a very long absence, I'm finally back. Thank you to HanSolo29 for reopening this thread for me.

And of course, I have a couple of new pictures to present to you. These two were both drawn for my own fanfic, which can be found from Beyond the Saga. So here they are:

Father's despair - Han
    A Mutual Dream - Jaina/Jag

Hope you like them! Let me know what you think and anything constructive will be much appreciated.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Is that Mara during the book Allegiance? She looks like her younger self.

Very nice. I like the Jaina/ Jacen DA too.

14. Aleria

Apr 8, 2007
    Sublime: Thank you very much! I haven't read Allegiance, so I can't say it's exactly from there. But I was thinking about a younger Mara when I did that piece. I'd say the timeframe could be the whole time she was still working for Palpatine and trying to kill Luke.

I just draw a picture of Jaina for the Fan Art Class. The reference picture is from the Japanese cover of [i]Dark Journey[/i] and the assignment was to concentrate on the nose. Here it is: [link=http://www.kolumbus.fi/~km3730/fanfics/jaina_nose.jpg]Jaina[/link]

15. Aleria

Apr 8, 2007
    Another sketch made for the Fan Art Class. It's Mara from the cover of Sacrifice.

Mara - Sacrifice

16. Jedi_Sha

Jedi_Sha Jedi Master star 5

Oct 13, 2002
    IMHO, I think the new one of Mara is your best yet. You nailed the posture and perspective. And the shading is beautiful. There's something a little different in the face than from the reference picture but I actually kinda prefer it.

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's beautiful!! You captured her form and the sense of movement really well.

18. Aleria

Apr 8, 2007
    Jedi_Sha: Thank you! I loved doing the shading, and the cover was a good reference picture for that. And you're right, the face didn't end up quite like it was supposed to, but if you prefer it that's awesome. :)

NYCitygurl: Thanks! I really liked drawing that piece, the picture has so much energy in just that one moment.

I'm slowly working on a few new pieces. Hopefully I'll have an update ready by the end of the month.

19. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    you have some awesome drawings. the one of Han has so much emotion in it. I can't wait to see more!

20. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Wow the sacrifice picture is really pretty! I'm not a big fan of the legacy of the force books, so everytime I saw that cover I always thought it was Jaina. You learn something new everyday :p

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved Mara from sacrifice

22. DarthBellumSolo

DarthBellumSolo Jedi Master star 1

Mar 26, 2008
    As it is beautiful! And both Mara, but especially to me were pleasant to Jaina and Jag - they so are similar, and such touching scene... At you is more tremendous leaves, and I hope that you will draw still.

[face_devil] Bel [face_devil]

23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Why am I NOT surprised to see "my e-daughter" and RL friend Chilla here?

Anyway, I like your digital art because it fits so nicely to the text you came up with.

And your paintings are full of energy and vibrant. Keep it up that way.

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi Aleria! So sorry I haven't been in for so long--busy with blasted RL! [face_plain]

I'm really loving your recent drawings--the one of Han takes me back to that moment in the 'Falcon, when they're under attack from Jacen's Star Destroyer--he's wounded and is fearing the ship won't survive to the jump--he leans against the bulkhead and murmurs "You're not ready for the scrapheap yet, are you old girl...?" **heart pinches again** A beautiful capture, if that's the scene--if not, it's still a very powerful piece emotionally: we don't see Han this way much--vulnerable, despairing... Most excellent work! The Jaina/Jag piece is similar in feeling--they're sharing an intense gaze, a close moment that may be mere seconds, but is still very deep and powerful. I really like the FAC Jaina piece--beautiful shading there, especially the highlighting on the skin--very nice work there!--and the one of Mara is also beautiful--great capture of movement, and wonderful contrasts and shading! Your drawing skills are really advancing quickly--keep up the great work!

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.