main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

": A Star Wars Story" vs. "Star Wars Anthology:"

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by BigAl6ft6, Sep 15, 2015.

?

whaddya like better as the movies being called

1. _ _ _ _ _ _: A Star Wars Story

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Star Wars Anthology: _ _ _ _ _ _ _

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    in case y'all haven't noticed, Rogue One is now titled "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" whilst the original title was "Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One". One would logically assume that each and every Anthology movie henceforth and forever will be called "_____: A Star Wars Story" instead of "Star Wars Anthology: _______"

So, which one do you like better? I'm sort of in the middle, "A Star Wars Story" has a bit of that "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away" fairy tale vibe to it, but it sounds a little soft to me. While "Star Wars Anthology" was a bit wordier, I think it had some more omph to it. A bit more Forceful. A bit more set in stone. "Anthology"! Great word! Even if it may not translate that well.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    "Star Wars Anthology" sounds too rigid, like it can only be strictly about certain characters or events.

"A Star Wars Story" seems more open ended, like it can be about anything, either closely related to the numbered films or not, but still based in the Star Wars universe. In some ways that title seems more fitting for a television show.

Personally, I don't like either of them for the anthology films.

Why not just "Star Wars: Rogue One"?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It may be a way to differentiate it from the "Episodes" of the ST (now that the number subtitle has been dropped from the promotional titles) so if you got "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" not calling the flick "Star Wars: Rogue One" may be confused as a sequel to it. "Star Wars Anthology" and/or "A Star Wars Story" does show that it's different storyline. Kinda.

Dewback likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    They're probably still "Star Wars Anthology", just as TFA is still a "Star Wars Episode".

It's just not used for the logo at the moment. I'm thinking "A Star Wars Story" is just a tagline.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Although we haven't yet seen it in the title, I expect that "Episode VII" is coming in the next trailer. And if not in the title, I would assume at least the opening scroll of TFA will include "Episode VII". So assuming the number comes, I think there is enough of a differentiation in simply recognizing that if no number is present in the title than it is part of the anthology.

6. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I like Anthology best when dealing with sub-stories in between the episodes like "Rogue One" and "Young Han Solo" are supposed to be. But I think "A Star Wars Story" could still sound appropriate for certain films not pertaining to the Episode films at all. (Think of the Ewok films for example. "A Star Wars Story" seems the better fit there)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Star Wars Story sounds childish. They should call it Anthology.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe - I want there to be a "Star Wars Anthology: Ewoks Adventures 3: Return to Endor: A Star Wars Story".

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I dunno - I dig the change.

10. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I am about 99.9% sure that neither are meant to be part of the title. The title is "Rogue One". It is categorized under the "Star Wars Anthology" as it isn't part of the main storyline. In the advertising material they call it "A Star Wars Story" in order for people who live under a rock to understand it is part of the Star Wars universe. The title is not "Star Wars: Rogue One", "Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One", or "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story".

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I greatly prefer Anthology.

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    Star Wars: Anthology - Rogue One

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The first just fits better with what we already have, IMO.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Star Wars Anthology: Star Wars: Rogue One - A Star Wars Story

Thank me later, marketers

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think this is probably the case.

http://www.starwars.com/news/category/star-wars-anthology-series

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    For the actual series name, I'm fine with "Star Wars Anthology." Apparently this is going to be used for box sets and such, the way "Star Wars Saga" is, and I'm okay with that. For the actual title itself, I vastly prefer the sound of "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" to "Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One." The latter sounds stiff and inaccessible, and brings to mind obscure science-fiction and fantasy magazines. On the other hand, "A Star Wars Story" sounds like something that would be used to describe a fairy tale, which is exactly what Star Wars is and always have been. The Episodes that comprise the Saga are the fairy tale, but there are other stories about that world to be told, other adventures that aren't a part of the core multi-part narrative. This idea is better conveyed with "A Star Wars Story" as an explanatory subtitle, rather than "Star Wars Anthology" as the denotive title.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Well, I personally prefer Anthology to Story.

But since Anthology is defined as a book or other collection of writings from various authors, maybe Story is a more accurate description.

All the "Star Wars Stories" movies together will constitute an "Anthology"

So you will have:

"The Star Wars Saga" , EP I-IX
    "The Star Wars Anthology" - Rogue One, Han Solo, Bobba Fett, etc.

Does this make sense?

16. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    There are no fairies in Star Wars. It may be a fantasy, but it sure as hell isn't a fairy tail.

17. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Makes perfect sense!

From dictionary.com:
    Sounds like Star Wars to me. A fairy tale doesn't have to include fairies specifically.

18. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    'A Star Wars Story' sounds like a childish animated film. Anthology sounded great.

19. TheOneX_Eleazar

Oct 24, 2013
    No it doesn't, but that also does not sound anything like Star Wars either. I have never seen an elf, hobgoblin, dragon, fairy, or other magical creature either. Fairy tail is a specific sub-genre of fantasy that deals with a specific setting, and they all have a similar tone. None of which are similar to Star Wars. While all fairy tails are fantasies, not all fantasies are fair tails.

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    There are no set rules as such, but a fairytale is mostly considered a story with certain themes and ingredients - often with princes and princesses, magic, magical creatures and monsters. The precence of a quest in the story is also considered quite essential for a story to be seen as a fairytale.

Let's see, Star Wars has a princess, it has magic, magical creatures and monsters. A quest is the centre of the first movie (as well as the others). Heck, it even has fairies!
    Star Wars is (among other things) a fairytale. A different setting than what most would consider to be the usual fairytale setting, but not too different.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The official site on it's most recent Rogue One post referred to it as A Star Wars Story and had this logo

[​IMG]

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-the-daring-mission-has-begun-cast-and-crew-announced

I believe D23 they referred to it as "A Star Wars Story" too. Pretty sure that's how it's gonna go out as.

If you wanna go deep down the rabbit hole, the site uses the words "new Star Wars standalone stories"! Didn't quite see the word Anthology pop up anywhere in there. But that is mos def the new logo, "A Star Wars Story" and everything.

I do see your point in there. "Anthology" does seem to imply a piece of a whole. "A Star Wars Story" implies it is a singular, contained experience, which seems to be what these movies are going for. One single Story in the Star Wars universe.

22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    We have to realize a lot of people really don't know these movies from each other, just like a lot of people forever say "Dark Vader." They just don't care beyond just seeing the movies as passing entertainment and with the title Star Wars. They might see the characters on Disney World trips or catch the movies when they show up on TV, but it means nothing to them. No title is going to make them really aware of one kind of connection or lack of one. It would have been best if Disney and Lucasfilm had just held off on doing these live action "story/anthology" movies until after the trilogy.

23. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, maybe my wording wasn't the best - I meant that they are not using "Anthology" for the logo at the moment.

EHT already provided this link above, but here it is again: http://www.starwars.com/news/category/star-wars-anthology-series
    So it seems they are still using Anthology as the title for the series.

EHT likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh, I would assume that those are categorized "anthology" in the website because the site was set up that way, and those other posts to "anthology" are all before the "A Star Wars Story" popped up.

Honestly, I think the movie is just flat-out called "Rogue One" but the one wesa gonna get on the marketing and all, and probably from reporters / actors / interviews, is "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story". I think I heard there will be no opening crawl in it (which I'm totally okay with) so whatever title pops up, that's it!

25. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Could be, could be.
    I, for one, am hoping we don't get an opening crawl for the stand alones. As long as they keep "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...." I'm happy.
    But yeah, I'm guessing the title will be "Rogue One", or "Star Wars: Rogue One" as well, with whatever series title they settle on (Anthology/Story/Chapter/Hedgehog...) just being used for promotion material, and the inevitable box set.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.