main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A Step Ahead", a 3-minute short from Peerless Productions

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by effstops, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. effstops

effstops Jedi Master star 3

Feb 20, 2003
    Peerless Productions Proudly Presents:

"A Step Ahead" ... :)

Anyhow, this is a movie which I filmed and edited this weekend. I've shown it to about 5 people already, and have gotten very different reactions from them.

So, please tell me what you think. :)

*Click*-- A Step Ahead

[image=http://www.peerlessproductions.com/images/moviestills/step1.jpg]

Questions to answer:

• Did you get it?
    • Was there enough closure?
    • Was it too long?

--Colin

I love markup codes! ;)

2. vanpuyer8

vanpuyer8 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    Dling now..

Not bad! The editing and camera work, worked very well together. The end made me think it was like an opener for your production company. The effect with the soup dissapearing from the pot looked...weird.

But great job!

3. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Did you get it?
    Yes. However, I might not have gotten it if you hadn't called it A Step Ahead or said the thing at the end.

Was there enough closure?
    Yes.

Was it too long?
    Only if it's meant to be a trailer for Peerless Productions, which the ending thing made it come off as. If it's meant to be simply a short film, then no.

I foung this very interesting. Excellent cinematography, although there were a few nits to pick. I think that the wierd things should have happened earlier in the film. For example, he shouldn't have had to search for so darn long for a can opener. This could easily be solved by clever editing. However, I did enjoy it a lot. I'd give it a solid B+.

~Neszis~

4. DeadEyesSmiling

DeadEyesSmiling Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    I enjoyed it. It was pretty funny and I caught on very fast. The "spoon into soup" scene was cool. It would be really nice if you could get one of the "walkaway/comeback" discoveries all in one take like in Poltergeist and 6th Sense. But very well done, I loved the music. Pace was a bit slow, but if fit the music and the mood. Good Job!

-DeadEyesSmiling

5. 007master

007master Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2002
    Intresting.

6. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
    Hmm. Thanks for the replies so far! :)

Neszis, I understand your comments, and just have one comment. ;) He wasn't looking for a can opener for more than 1 second. He was searching for the can that happened to be already next to the stove. Was that just a typo?

--Colin

7. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Oh! I thought he was looking for the opener, and the can was always there. That makes 4 wierd events. Make that more apparent.

~Neszis~

8. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
    :)

Ok, I will. Well, the first two "weird" events can be explained: the pot was already on the stove, and the can was already near the stove... The others were all supernatural. So that'd make *5* weird events. Or maybe just 3... because the other two could actually happen. ;)

--Colin

9. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    That was really cool. I liked the camera angles, especially the one from inside the cabinet. Great Job!

10. AWBl989

AWBl989 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
    I liked it overall....didn't like the angle from 2" behind Alex's hair, though.

11. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
    Thanks, Darth.

AWB, are you talking about the scene where Alex is looking for the right can of soup??

--Colin

12. Darth_Brad03

Darth_Brad03 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Yeah, that's the one. It was really effective.

EDIT: Oh yeah, thanks for the dial-up version! Saved me some serious download time.

13. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Very clever. Wasn't too long (though it did become predictable at the end, but that was due to the nature of what was happening, so it's all good), I could understand it, and...yeah. I found myself wondering, "ok, is this guy even gonna get to eat his soup?" Ask a dumb question... ;)

Nice work. I'd have paid more attention to the quality of your new mic, but the audio compression was pretty gnarly.

14. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
    :) The audio wasn't fantastic, I can tell you. But it was a whole lot better than what the regular mic would have produced!

Also, I find this very interesting. Some people don't get it until the end, some people get it early on. Some people don't find it funny, some people do. People are confused about different things. Some people think it needs more of a "point", some people don't. I am learning a lot! :D

--Colin

15. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    i really liked it. very creative!

i thought it was weird that you called it "ALWAYS a step ahead" in the end... is that the real title.

very original. great job.

16. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
    Thank you!

Well, the real title is "A Step Ahead", so it's just a shortened version of that line... but I could have called it that... :)

--Colin

17. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Well, the real title is "A Step Ahead", so it's just a shortened version of that line... but I could have called it that...

Hey...he's right! You could call it that!

~Neszis~

18. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    ok. just curious.

again, great film

19. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
    Stop it Neszis! [face_mischief] [face_blush]

20. milney

milney Jedi Master star 5

Aug 21, 2003
    I got the idea the first time I watched it.

A very good film.

One question, is it an ad for PP, or a short film?

21. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
    Not sure yet. :p Right now, I think, it's a short film. But I may try to edit it down to 30 seconds, so that it can become a trailer-like thing. :)

--Colin

22. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    My latest short is being rendered now for release later this evening or tomorrow early afternoon.

(And now, I have proof that people DO care where Clone² is going. You were THINKING it! ;) No, it's a different project.)

23. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    no offense fig, but this is effstops turn to show off his work...

24. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Hey. Don't accuse me of taking from Colin. His short film ideas are the best I've ever seen, consistently.

Hide and Seek, Col, was awesome. VERY awesome. I'll need to download Workingd of the West, now, as I think it's the only one I haven't seen.

25. effstops

Feb 20, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.