main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A Stranger From The Past" (Obi/Sabe series) "Terms of Service" (sequel)... (Updated June 16th!!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jade_Max, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    k people...Jade_Max asked me to tell you that she's not sure when she'll be able to update again as she's not able to load the boards or load up anything she's written

~TJF

2. NyghtFyre

NyghtFyre Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    Just upping the story. :D

Come back to us soon Jade_Max! We miss you!

I hope that everything is going well and that Darth RL isn't being to mean and nasty!

3. NickStarwalker

NickStarwalker Jedi Master star 1

Dec 7, 2002
  4. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
  5. Bellyup

Jun 29, 2002
    UUUUUUPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

6. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I know I said I'd update this quickly, but I didn't get the chance. Life's been that hectic, however, I'm going to try for bi-monthly updates of all my stories just to get them finished. Anything new... we'll see how my time looks if and when that happens :)

Thanks for your patience and sorry for taking so long to get this part out!

++++++++++

Sabé turned as the flash of Obi-Wan?s lightsaber lit the street, a bolt of energy searing through his robes. He missed the main body of the blaster bolt but caught enough of it to deflect it from its deadly path. He didn?t grimace as it grazed his skin and then punched through muscle into his left shoulder, but he noticed it. He?d be feeling the pain later.

Sabé leapt into action before she saw the bolt strike her husband. Fear mingled with her calm as she sighted the bolt back to its owner, her blaster in hand, and squeezed the trigger. Her weapon didn?t have the range, but she knew the would-be assassin knew they were made. She could see it in their face. ?Obi-Wan...?

She?d barely said his name before two other Jedi were beside the culprit. The assassin turned and fled, the Jedi hot on his heels as he disappeared from sight.

Obi-Wan made a mental note to thank the two who?d interceded as he powered down his lightsaber. He fought a wince as the burning in his left shoulder suddenly seemed to engulf him. He?d been hit straight on, not grazed as he?d first thought. Sabé placed a hand on his arm, her dark eyes concerned.

?I think we?ve had enough shopping for one day, don?t you agree, Handmaiden?? he asked respectfully, suppressing the pain with the Force as he met her gaze.

She searched his eyes, looking deeply to find if he was hurting more than he let on, but could find nothing. Yet she could feel the pain he was hiding, he was suppressing. ?If you think it?s best Master Jedi,? she agreed. ?Though I had two more stops that I was informed I had to make. Will that be a problem??

He knew what she was asking. She wanted to know if he was alright, even though she wasn?t going to come right out and say it. They didn?t know who could hear their conversations. He inclined his head. ?That will be acceptable, Handmaiden. But only two. There could be more assassins about and I have my orders to keep you safe.?

She smiled faintly. ?I will keep the stops short.? She agreed. Turning, she led the way towards the last two shops on this end of the bank, her stride as fast as she dared. She wanted to get back to the apartment and look at Obi-Wan?s shoulder, but she was tense. She felt the eyes watching her, the questions; the speculation. Yet nothing was said and they?re been no screaming, no panic, as the shot had rung out. A testimony to the status of the people who came to shop in these boutiques. Yet to was the knowledge in those eyes that Obi-Wan had almost missed the bolt that bothered her most. Jedi were respected and feared because of their powers. For one to almost die in such a fashion... she didn?t want to think about it. Scanning the area ahead of her with her eyes as Obi-Wan scanned with his senses as much as he could. She wondered if her idea to stop by these two gossips, the worst of the bunch, last was such a good one.

?Steady,?

She almost jumped when his voice whispered just loud enough for her to hear and no one else. High strung, she chided herself silently. You?re going to get yourself and Obi-Wan killed. Keep it together, Sabé, just two more stops and then you can disappear into oblivion again. Her mental litany wasn?t interrupted as she stepped into the next shop and spoke to the shop keeper, her mind only half on the conversation.

You?ve been out of the game far too long if this one incident has rattled you, old girl. What would Padmé think if she could see you now? You?d never be allowed to guard her again. Keep it together until we get back to the apartment, until you?ve looked at Obi-Wan?s shoulder, and then you can be all emotional like a pregnant woman is ex

7. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Bringing this back out of the recesses of the fanfic boards - I still love this story!

8. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Thank you FAB :)

And, to those who still keep up with this, here's the next part!

Sorry it was so long in coming

A long standard hour later, they were slipping into the room where she could change back into her Jedi robes and Obi-Wan placed a hand on her shoulder. "You did well today for someone who's been out of practice for the better part of the last 10 years."

Sabé grimaced. "And I reacted like a rookie when we came out of Synde's boutique. I know better."

Obi-Wan smiled faintly. "Your condition might have something to do with that. You know some of your reflexes have been..." he trailed off and she arched an eyebrow.

"Go on," she said, crossing her arms over her chest as she waited for him to finish. "Don't hold out on me now, Obi-Wan."

He reached out and gently cupped her face. "Your reflexes have been wired so tight I'm surprised you were as calm as you were. I'm very proud of you, Sabé, yet mildly annoyed at the same time."

"Oh?"

He leaned in close. "You shouldn't have people chasing you; you shouldn't be the target for assassins. Not again."

She covered his hand with her own. "I knew what I was getting into when we asked for this part, my love. We've begun the charade, we can't end it in the middle."

"I know. That doesn't mean I have to like it."

She let his hand go and turned away. "Our child will be in the line of danger thanks to my, to our, decision. We can?t change that now, but I find myself wishing they we could. That I could. I don?t want to lose this child, Obi-Wan.?

He placed a hand on her belly, gently turning her back towards him. ?You think I do?? he asked softly. ?Our child couldn?t ask for a better protector than you, Sabé. You?re as fierce as the Wampa creatures of Hoth when protecting their young. Danger is a part of our lives, we just have to accept that. Our lives, our child?s life, is in danger. The only thing we can do is prepare and trust the Force to take care of all of us.?

She turned in his arms and hugged him fiercely. ?I hope you?re right,? she whispered softly, ?Between the four of us and Rabé, if she shows up, I hope the Force can watch out for us all.?

Obi-Wan stroked her hair gently. ?Trust me. Come on. We should be getting back.?

She nodded, pulling her hood up to hide her face, and followed him out of the small room. They hadn?t gone far when the Jedi who?d chased the Assassin approached them, bowing to Obi-Wan.

?Permission to speak with you, Master Kenobi.?

Obi-Wan looked around them and ducked into a side street with Sabé and the Jedi. ?You bring news of the Assassin.? It wasn?t a question.

The Jedi inclined his head. ?We caught up with the individual and took them back to the temple. There was more than one hired to target you and the Senator from Naboo. We couldn?t find who hired them.?

?Did you round up the others??

The Jedi shook his head. ?Master Yoda requested we leave them be and follow them. If we take them out, more will be hired and we will not know the direction from which our enemy will strike. The council agreed with Master Yoda.?

Obi-Wan nodded. ?Thank you. Keep me informed of any future developments. May the Force be with you.?

?And you, Master Kenobi.? The Jedi inclined his head and departed.

Obi-Wan and Sabé stood in the side street for a couple of minutes before she spoke. ?So the Assassins are still out there but are now under Jedi surveillance, is that it??

He nodded. ?Better to know where the danger is coming from, than to keep watching your back for the knife you know is there, but not in whose hands. Come, I need to speak with Anakin about this.?

She didn?t protest as they stepped back out into the main street and headed back towards their transportation. Something was on Obi-Wan?s mind, but she knew he?d tell her when he could. Until then, she?d keep her peace. For now.

9. Bellyup

Jun 29, 2002
    Poor Obi-Wan, getting shot like that. I am sooo glad that Sabe didn't react too much and give the game away!! And I hope that this couple will be able to have some peace and quiet soon, the poor things...

Wonderful post! :D

10. lt_ketch09

lt_ketch09 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Oh look a new post :D It's been so long that I had to go back and re-read some of the earlier ones, 'cause I couldn't remeber what was going on 8-}

Does this mean that you're going to be updating this reguarly again :confused: Oh I hope so. I really like this story :D [face_love]

11. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I just found this story. Its an excellent story and a little different from others with Sabe and Obiwan together. I like how you explained about how the order was dying and how the Jedi would be assigned mates and how you got the council to let Obiwan and Sabe be a special case. Now they are going to have a baby almost right away. I wonder if you are going to continue this story. I would like to see Obiwan become a dad and how he handles that kind of like and will they be able to keep the baby or will it be taken from them. Also like how you are tying all this in with Anakin and Padme's relationship.

So I hope you will continue this.

12. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    You added and I missed it - shame on me!
    You know how I love your Obi stories dear.... Can't wait to read more!

13. Bellyup

Jun 29, 2002
    Uppities!

14. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Ok, to be honest, I don't know where i'm taking this, so don't be surprised if some strange events happen... you've been warned :)

Welcome to my new readers and thank you for reading! I do intend to continue, and finish, this fic, it's just a matter of figuring out where it's intending to go *chuckle*

Thank you all!

Obi-Wan watched as Padmé and Sabé spoke about the incident at the Market. Anakin's face was slowly growing darker as the tale was related. Neither of the young love birds seemed thrilled at the prospect of facing another round of assassins. Well that was too bad, Obi-Wan found himself thinking. They'd be facing tougher obstacles than assassins if their relationship was ever exposed.

Padmé frowned as it was revealed that Obi-Wan had been injured. "Master Obi-Wan?"

He shrugged. "I'm alright."

She obviously didn't believe him. "Anakin, can you please restrain him so we can look at his wound?"

Obi-Wan couldn't help but be amused at the absurdity of the situation. Anakin was hardly in top shape himself.

Anakin looked between his master and his wife before looking to Sabé for help. "Your wish, milady?"

Sabé shook her head, placing a hand on Padmé's forearm. "He's alright, Padmé. Honest. A little sleep and good food and my Jedi will be back to top shape. He'd just a little worn down, that's all. We both are."

"Padme," Anakin stood, "we should let them rest. We need to talk about this threat and prepare for it."

Obi-Wan and Sabé exchanged a look as the other two left towards their room. Talk. Right.

Sabé curled close to Obi-Wan, tucking her feet underneath her as she placed her head against his shoulder. "Do you think they over reacted?"

"Nah," he teased softly, "Youth never over react."

She smiled a small smile. "Only those two. I don't think they really took us seriously though."

"They did." He assured her. "Anakin in particular. He doesn't like the idea of losing their quiet new life anytime soon."

"But they'll both get bored with it." Sabé signed. "What's it like to be that young and idealistic again?"

Obi-Wan squeezed her gently. "Anakin's lost alot of his ideals. His fight with Dooku..." he shook his head. "He's only now beginning to regain his confidence. Another blow like the loss to the Dark Jedi and he may fall that way as well."

She sat up straight, her eyes wide. "Anakin a Sith?"

Obi-Wan pulled her back with a firm tug. "Any Jedi can go to the dark side," he explained. "It's just a matter of making sure they know how to channel the emotions and control them so that they don't rely on them. Think about it. If anything happened to Padmé, Anakin would lose it."

She returned to her previous position, but there was a new tension in her frame. "I don't want to think about what he'd do."

"Neither do I, love, but we have to consider it. With this new threat it's possible that you or she may be wounded, even killed." he stroked her hair, kissing the top of her head. "I don't want to lose you, and Anakin doesn't want to lose Padmé."

"Not like we want to lose either of you either," she protested. "We love you the same as you love us. What would happen to Padmé if Anakin went darkside?"

Obi-Wan was quiet for a few moments before shaking his head. "If what they have is real and true... I hope that never happens. Come on. We should get some rest before we have to head to the senate tomorrow and announce Padmé's intention to return."

Sabé was slow to stand, her thoughts still on the dark possibility that Obi-Wan had presented. When she finally met his eyes again there was sadness in their depths. "I love you, Obi-Wan, but... If I have to give my life to keep her and Anakin together, you have to know I will."

He pulled her close, hugging her tightly. "I know." his reply was soft, accepting. "It's who you are, my love. I may not like it, may not approve of it, but I accept it. I only ask that you think of our child."

"Not of you?"

He kissed her forehead lovingly, "I have accept

15. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Excellent post way worth the wait.

I love the conversation between Obiwan and Sabe. I think those things needed to be said between them.

Don't worry take your time I will be here when you post.

And this part was my favorite:

Obi-Wan kissed her fiercely before lifting her in his arms. Wounded or not, he would always be able to hold his wife. He carried her to their room and kicked the door closed behind him. She needed to be shown she wasn't the only one with fierce feelings and, for once, allowed himself to let go so she could see. And see she did.

*goes off and dreams that she is in Sabe's shoes.*

16. Bellyup

Jun 29, 2002
    *grins wickedly at Krystal's las statement*

YAY!!! The Jade-meister is back! :D I notice that you have updated Strong Enough as well, so I will have to go check it out too!

This was a very sweet post... I feel so sorry for Obi-Wan and Sabe--they have to go through so much because of their professions. :(

A little sleep and good food and my Jedi will be back to top shape.

My Jedi...I love the way she talks about him!

You portrayed their confusion and underlying love for each other beautifully. Wonderful job!

17. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Thanks you guys *blushes* I like Sabé and Obi-Wan as a couple, they're stong individuals that are well matched, in my mind anyway... so yeah, your comments mean a lot to me, thank you so very much!

This isn't alot about Sabé and Obi-Wan, but I feel it's necessary... more S/O coming soon!

Anakin was waiting for Obi-Wan when the older Jedi emerged later that evening. Padmé and Sabé were still asleep. "Master."

"Something you need, Anakin?"

"Is the threat to Padmé as bad as it seems?"

"Did it ever change?" Obi-Wan countered. "She's a public figure, Anakin, a Senator. And a powerful one at that. You didn't seriously think she'd be safe back here, away from Naboo and the people who are sworn to protect her, did you?"

"I can protect her." There was no comprimise in his voice, no hint of doubt. Anakin would protect her if it meant giving his life to do so.

"Can you protect her from you?"

Anakin's brow knit in a frown. "What do you mean, Master?"

Obi-Wan walked to one of the tinted windows, staring out at the traffic, but not seeing it. He was silent for a long moment. "You have learned much." he admitted as Anakin joined him. "But you're not a Jedi yet, Anakin. You're still reckless and headstrong." He slanted a look at his young apprentice. "But those have been tempered since your loss."

Anakin unconsciously flexed his metallic hand.

Obi-Wan turned back to the traffic. "What will happen if you follow your desires and impulses the next time? Will you once again endanger her by your recklessness?"

"Never." The answer was final.

"Are you so certain?"

Anakin nodded emphically, however, it slowed uncertainly as he looked into his Master's face. "You don't think I can protect my wife?"

Obi-Wan turned to look at Anakin fully. "I know you can, Anakin, but there are more dangers than the physical. If something happens to you, she will be wounded. If something happens to her, what will happen to you?"

Anakin stared at his Master. "Nothing will happen to her."

Obi-Wan shook his head. "You can't protect and coddle her, Anakin. She's a passionate young woman who won't hide from her enemies if she can do something about it. You can't protect her from that. What happens if she's wounded? What would you do to her attacker?"

"What would you do to Sabé's attacker, Master?" Anakin replied hotly, beginning to pace. "I'd kill him of course! They'd deserve it."

"I wouldn't kill Sabé's attacker."

Anakin's gaze snapped to his Master's. He saw acceptance and pain at the thought of losing his wife, but the real shock was the lack of anger. "But, you love her."

Obi-Wan nodded. "I do, more than anyone or anything I have ever met or owned. But I also respect her, Anakin. I respect the fact that she thinks differently than I do and will act in ways I cannot anticipate, for all my Jedi powers. She has training that exceeds our own in some respects and to ask her, to expect her, to deny that training would be unfair."

"But why wouldn't you kill her attacker?"

"If she'll live?" Obi-Wan shook his head. "Why? What purpose will that death hold beyond my own desire for revenge? Will it stop her injury or lead me to the real source of the attack? You must learn temprance and acceptance Anakin, or you will never understand your wife."

"I understand her." Anakin's voice was soft, sulky, as if Obi-Wan had just chastized him for something he'd done wrong.

Obi-Wan placed a hand on Anaki's shoulder. "You can learn more from a live, captive assailant, that you can from a dead one. Remember that we are not the law, nor are we above it, we simply enforce it so that there is balance."

Anakin turned away. "Yes Master, I will think about what you've said."

Obi-Wan watched his apprentice walk away and sprawl on the couch. Anakin's head was bowed, his posture defeated. Obi-Wan shook his head and turned to leave the apartment. Anakin would either take what he'd said to heart, or not. Either way, Obi-Wan had his own battles to fight and prepare

18. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Either way, Obi-Wan had his own battles to fight and prepare for. This coming day would not be an easy one. I feel for Obi-wan

I like how you did that little talk between the two. Anakin needed to hear it as much as I think Obi-wan needed to say it not only for Anakin's sake but for his own.

19. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    And so, on with the story :) And thank you to my loyal readers for sticking around when my posts are few and far between.

Tension was thick between the two couples the next morning and Anakin's demeanor dark. It was obvious to all of them that something disturbing was on his mind. Yet, he wouldn't say what, even when cornered by Padmé. Sabé and Padmé were quick to exclude the men, and began speaking about the previous day's shopping trip and the clothing that Sabé had brought home. Neither spoke of the dangerous arena she would soon be entering by approaching the senate with word of Padmé's return.

Obi-Wan left Anakin to his own devices and his apprentice soon went into the large living room, the sound a his lightsaber igniting audible to everyone. Obi-Wan shook his head before pulling out a data pad.

"What are you working on, Obi-Wan?"

He didn't look up. "Something Master Yoda's asked for."

Padmé arched an eyebrow. "What, a review of our behavior?"

"Close." he agreed to her half jesting question. "It's Anakin's evaluation based on our encounter with Dooku and the outcome."

Sabé placed a hand over his. "Work on it later, Padmé and I need your advice on how best to reintroduce her into the senate."

Obi-Wan looked up, shutting off the datapad and putting it away. "Alright. How can I be of service?"

Sabé placed a diagram on the table, an outline of the existing senate hall, and placed a spoon on one area. "When I address the senate today this is the corridor of entry. The Naboo senate seat is here." she placed her finger over the place. They won't know of my arrival as I'll be dressed as a servant over top of my official gown. This is intended to be a surprise announcement and Padmé will be addressing them tomorrow."

"But today's address is the most dangerous." Obi-Wan observed, refreshing his memory with which races held the senators boxes around the Naboo. He didn't like what he saw. Four of them were known to hire assassins.

Sabé nodded. "Today's address, like all surprises in the senate, will likely involve a recess. Or rather, the Chancellor will try to call one. I can't allow that. I have to state the intentions of the Naboo and leave. The shorter my time in the box, and my address to the senate without being questioned, the better chance we have at not having an attempt on my life."

"And tomorrow?"

Obi-Wan traced the entry way. "Tomorrow, Padmé, Anakin and I will be flanking you. You'll have nothing to fear from attack. Sabé will walk point." He met his wife?s gaze, to find a thank you in their depths. He shrugged fractionally in response. He understood her mission; he wouldn't interfere as that could get her killed if he tried to be overprotective. He trusted her.

"Shouldn't Anakin walk point?" Padmé caught none of the silence exchange as she stared at the map.

Sabé shook her head. "Too risky. Having Anakin and Obi-Wan on either side of you they can protect from any attack. With me in front, I can fire back from the protective circle."

She didn't voice the fact that if she got to fire back it would be pure luck as she would likely already be dead or severely wounded. But Padmé knew and squeezed her friend's hand. "Let's hope we don't end up in a fire fight, or anything else, in the Senate hall. We have to stop this war and regain peace in the galaxy before something terrible happens." her gaze unconsciously went to where her husband had disappeared.

Obi-Wan smiled. "You'll succeed so long as the Senate can be taught to see reason."

"They can." She assured the Master Jedi, "but they also see hate and have a desire for revenge when one of their own is threatened or wounded. They'll be calling for blood because I was captured. Hopefully, with my safe return and my stance against this course of action, something can be done to halt this before it goes too far."

"It's already gone too far." The three looked up at Anakin's dark proclamation.

"Nothing is too far." Obi-Wan admonished him. "There is still hope."

20. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    And now, there's more!

The Senate hall hadn?t changed in the year since Padmé had last been seen. Sabé didn?t know that, having never seen it before with her own eyes. The trip was an eye opener. The large hall where the senate gathered to discuss the matters of the galaxy was at the heart of the building, the many floors of senatorial offices surrounding it like a honeycomb of bees.

And at the center was the Chancellor Palpatine. The calm in the hum of activity, he seemed unchanged and untouched by the war ravaging the galaxy, though it was his orders that had begun the process. Or rather, his order that had been the turning of the tide. With the republic committed to the fight, the Jedi still leading the troops whenever they engaged, there was some cause for celebration.

And yet the senate seemed oddly detached from the fighting. Perhaps it was because they were using clones, or perhaps it was simply that no one truly believed in the cause. Whatever the reason, in the year since the informally known clone wars had begun, the fighting had become fiercer on the fronts and in the senate hall. Yet the support outside the senate was fading and the Chancellors army, or rather, the part he had chosen for an elite force of bodyguards, were staying closer to home to ensure public support.

Or rather, that was their true function. Mostly, as the public story went, they were there to ensure the droid armies and the Trade Federation didn't place an assassin close to the Chancellor. Not even the Jedi, so embroiled in the fighting, had guessed the real reason for the crack troops, though Master Yoda and Master Windu had spoken out against keeping such skilled fighters from the fronts.

Regardless of the current political storm, the Senate hall had a civilized air to it that was missing among many of the other buildings where the Senators congregated. There was a sense of purpose, though convoluted and clouded, that seemed to radiate from the walls.

Sabé kept her hood down as she entered the first tier of the hall, passing several offices and senators she recognized from the days of Senator Palpatine. They were older, but didn't seem to be any wiser as she could hear them bickering about the same differences that had set them apart some ten years before. She blocked it from her mind, focusing instead on the task at hand.

Obi-Wan walked ahead of her, his senses outstretched, searching for any hazards or dangers that could threaten his wife. His hands stayed relaxed at his sides; however his lightsaber was never far from his grasp. They walked in silence, the Jedi her only escort as they made their way to the 17th floor and the speaking box of Senator Amidala. They weren't stopped, though they received many strange and unfriendly looks.

Sabé shifted closer to Obi-Wan, her eyes darting around under her hood. Something didn't feel right. As they neared the Nabooian Senator's box, the feeling increased. Increased to the point of warning bells going off in her head and she stopped.

Obi-Wan halted a moment later. "My lady?"

"This isn't right."

He didn't turn to look at her, but scanned the surrounding area instead. He didn't feel anything through the Force, couldn't sense any threat.

Sabé shifted closer to the wall, away from the senator's box and motioned for Obi-Wan to follow.

He side stepped reluctantly, stepping back to join her. "What is it?"

She stared hard at the entry way to the Senator's platform. "I can't describe it. Something doesn't feel right about this. We should have be challenged, stopped or welcomed. Something is seriously wrong, Obi-Wan. Can't you feel that?"

"I don't sense a threat."

"Not through the Force." she smiled faintly. "I'm talking about your other senses. The gut instinct of an experienced fighter. Surely you know something is wrong."

He nodded once, slowly.

"I won't go out to that box until someone has stepped on it first."

"Me, you mean?" his smile was faint.

She slanted a look at him. "A droid, p

21. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Gotta boost this so I can add more in the near future...

22. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    This is great!!!!

23. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    thank you diamond_pony2002! I'm glad you're enjoying it...

I'm thinking of reposting it on the "Saga" forum so it might get more attention...

We'll see...

And on with the story!

"How did it go?"

Sabé looked up as they entered the residence they shared with the Skywalkers and smiled faintly. "Before or after the assassination attempt, Padmé?"

Padmé came quickly to her feet and embraced her friend. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for that to happen, I..."

Sabé smiled, cutting her off. "We both knew there was a danger of it happening. We knew to expect resistance to your rejoining the Senate. Obi-Wan and I are both fine and I did get my opportunity to speak with the Senate about your reappearance. Not everyone was thrilled, mind you."

Padmé shrugged. "It comes with being the leader of the opposition. Anakin doesn't like it, at least," she slanted a mischevious look at her young husband, "he pretends not to like it. I think he'd an adrenalin junkie myself."

Anakin made to protest, causing the other three to laugh, relieving the tension that was thick in the air. He smiled faintly. "I'm glad you can all laugh at me, but this is serious. Now that they know Padmé is coming back, we're going to have to be more alert than ever. All of us. They may try to get to her through Sabé or Rabé."

Sabé returned his slight smile. "We're used to it; you're forgetting this is what we train for."

"How can you train for death?"

Sabé shrugged. "You train to protect, not to die, but if it means I have to put myself in the way of a blaster bolt meant for Padmé, I'll do it. She's more important on the grand scale of things."

Obi-Wan was quiet as she stated her view firmly and without rancor. He knew she believed it, and had accepted that, but it was still difficult to listen to her say it.

Anakin noticed. "What do you think, Master?"

Obi-Wan met Sabé's gaze. "I think she has the right of it. Sabé is important to me, but Padmé represents something bigger than all of us. Peace, tolerance and understanding. That is always worth fighting for."

"Even dying for?" Anakin asked pointedly.

"Of course." Sabé answered him with a smile. "You have to understand Anakin that people will always fight. Be it for land, or power or peace. Some things are more important than others and we have to learn where and when to pick our battles. Something you should know about."

Anakin unconsciously flexed his metallic hand and Padmé reached over to grasp it, pulling it into her lap. "It's something we've both learned the hard way," she said softly. Everyone knew she was thinking about Anakin's confrontation with Dooku.

Anakin squeezed her hands, "I understand what you're saying Sabé, but I think we're fighting because we feel we have to, not because we really want to."

Sabé met his gaze without flinching. "Then why are you here, Anakin? Because you feel obligated? Because Padmé made you come and you couldn't change her mind? Think carefully. If she had an enemy, wouldn't you place yourself and your lightsabre in its way? Wouldn't you want to reach out and strike them down before they could become a threat to her life?"

Anakin looked at his Master. "That is not the way of the Jedi," he replied hesitantly.

Obi-Wan shook his head. "I know your answers, Anakin. I know you would do everything in your power to keep Padmé safe, regardless of what consequences they would have. I think you would even give up the Jedi should the need arise."

Anakin flushed. "Never, Master."

"Never is a long time Anakin."

Sabé cut into their conversation. "Look, Padmé needs to prepare for the coming Senate gathering and you two need to cool it. Anakin would do anything for Padmé just as you or I would. We know that; his loyalty to her and the Jedi aren't in question here."

The others fell silent as Sabé finally recounted what had been said in the senate meeting.

The looks on Anakin?s face were impassive, while Padmé?s showed real concern.

?They can?t just wait

24. Swift_Wrath_SAB

Swift_Wrath_SAB Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2004
    HELLLLOOOOO!!!! I come from "From Scratch" and I bear a message. This Fic ROCKS! I am hoping to be seeing more postage from you Jade!

*dances around*

*cackles*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.