main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Streen thread? Why not, I ask?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dr. Steve Brule, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    In the midst of all this doom and gloom over Ep 7 and the EU, I thought I would bring up an individual whom the larger canon has already largely relegated to the dustbin of history: Jedi Master Streen.

Streen was a hermit miner on Cloud City who was introduced to us by the eminent Kevin J. Anderson. This crotchety old fart became one of Luke's first New Jedi Order recruits and developed the Force ability to control the weather. Why don't we ever see esoteric Force powers like these any more? It's all mind control and telekinesis and the like - where's the weather control, or spurt fire, or transmute plumbum into aurodium?

Anyway Streen, being a hermit, really had no use for other people. However, apparently through use of the Force, Luke taught him how to not only interact with, but even just simply tolerate, others. Think on that for a second, and the fact that Luke needed to teach Streen a Force ability for that. And that such a Force ability actually exists, and all the varied implications and potential other uses it could have.

So Streen does a lot of stuff that's really typical for the second-tier Bantam-era Jedi. But the most interesting thing for me is that in Before the Storm, when Luke decides to become a hermit himself, he leaves Streen as the new leader of the entire reformed Jedi Order. I think you can take this one of two ways: either it shows the degree that Streen has come to terms with learning to socialize, or Luke's decided that since being a hermit is apparently what being a Jedi is all about, why not make a hermit the new Jedi leader?

However, this would be the high point for Streen both in terms of his characterization and his career as after the end of the trilogy Luke is back in charge. It actually kind of bothers me that everyone (both in-universe and in OOU works) kind of forgets that Streen was the head Jedi for a year or two. What was the reaction? What did he accomplish? What was his ideology? I think there's actually an argument to be made that Streen leading the Jedi shows an important philosophical distinction from the sort of prequel-clone Jedi who get chosen to lead it at various points in the NJO and after. I mean, Corran and Kenth and Saba (ugh) are about as different from Streen as can be. Maybe Jedi factionalism accounts for why Streen gets sidelined, since he's not even given a spot on the new Jedi Council that gets set up in the NJO. And yet it seems oddly fitting that Old Man Streen gets sidelined in favor of some younger whippersnappers.

Finally I just want to say that I always assumed that Streen and Kirana Ti were a romantic item, especially as Bantam Jedi Couples seemed to be a thing (Luke/Mara/Callista/Shira, Kam/Tionne). It was only through browsing Wookieepedia that I not only realized that wasn't the case (or at least it's apparently never been stated), but that she also has an even-more-obscure husband and daughter. Whom she apparently left behind for decades on Dathomir without so much as a mention while off gallivanting around with Streen. Hmm.

Anyway, that's about it, just wanted to post some thoughts on Streen here.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    He's early. Back then the Lucasfilm attitude on the Force and its users was different, regarding the powers.
    He sure is obscure.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I heard he became a little under the weather.

4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    What? he is probably chasing kids off his lawn, and yelling at Ben to turn down that loud ruckus he calls music dag-nabit!

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    He thought running the Jedi Order would be a breeze, but it wasn't. That's why he retired.

darthcaedus1138 and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I never actually read a book with him in it. But my mental image of him is something like Mr. Lahey as a Jedi.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Jello, someday I'm just gonna copy that GIF into my clipboard and just sit and monitor your forum activity page.

9. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    I wonder if he will be brought back as a "Dirty old Man" Character like that old chinese guy in Tekken.

I don't recall him having much personality in Jedi Acadamy Trilogy

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Anyway Streen, being a hermit, really had no use for other people. However, apparently through use of the Force, Luke taught him how to not only interact with, but even just simply tolerate, others. Think on that for a second, and the fact that Luke needed to teach Streen a Force ability for that. And that such a Force ability actually exists, and all the varied implications and potential other uses it could have.

It's merely the case Luke taught him the ability to control his Force abilities, probably developed naturally. Streen shows just how sick an environment you have to have for someone like Odion. That not only is being a hermit not an option but he actively wants to annihilate everyone.

In any case, I prefer Streen to Kam Solusar for Luke. Mostly because there's not enough old sage types in the NJO.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    KJA was pretty much the king of esoteric Force powers, and they didn't really last since his last works.

At least Streen got a visual nod in the Essential Guide to the Force. Better than nothing.

Also, great thread title.

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Ever since avatar the last airbender I was always hopeing to see a character use bender like abilities, especially the Dothmiri but alas.

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Streen for the win!
    [​IMG]

14. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Ah the Bantam Era ^:)^ It had its problems, but they don't make em like that anymore.

Zorrixor and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Trevas said on these forums back in '07 that he included Streen in the picture due to a line from Inferno about "the other Masters" joining Saba on stage. No indication there that he was one of the unnamed Council members, but I like to think that any two of him, Kirani Ti, and Madurrin were. Until Denning turned it into a ten-member council in Vortex in the ultimate lazy retcon, anyway. :mad:

16. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Streen rocks... his partner is Kirana Ti in leading the Dathomir praxeum.. though she is married and has two daughters from someon else... good old Streen made his home on a world full of sexy barely dressed witch-redheads :) hmm

my next Avatar should be Streen I guess... but which one, he sure knows how to change his appearance!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Streen

17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Streen is another reason why I prefer yodakenobi's Legacy of the Sith fics over the post-NJO canon. All the good recent Streen scenes I remember (still not many, but at least some) are from that series.

Also, weather powers have the potential to be so awesome. They should really do something more with that.

18. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Streen was mentioned in JK:JA - he was teamed-up with Tionne for a reconaissance mission (location faded out) when Jaden and Kyle were sent to Vjun.

19. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    SMH *wipes tear from eye* you just can't expect actual professional writers to equal a series like that one. Pretty much everything that they did wrong after NJO, yodakenobi did right.

Personally i've always thought that first class was amazingly underused.

20. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Streen should vent his spleen more. He is a man of too few words. The Jedi, to be effective in negotiations, need a good repertoire of verbal vocabulary.

Zorrixor likes this.
  21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Normally I'd say take it to EUC, but Streen is too good for EUC.

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    does he have a canon age yet?

23. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Good question, because wasn't he already an old man when first introduced?

24. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    He probably doesn't even know his own age, probably only in Rawwk years.

25. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Streen rawwks.

There, someone had to say it.

Zorrixor and Dr. Steve Brule like this.