main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A stupid trend in Star Wars books...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by zchmrkenhoff, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ban you? Well it's flattering you think I have that ability but I truly don't.

Insensitive Stymi? To what? I'm now intrigued.

2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I take offense to being accused of deviating from internet discourse conventions.

sent from my Moto X-Wing

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There are far worse things to be accused of.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I never really read any EU material to any great degree until recently. Shadows of the Empire and Tales of the Bounty Hunters were it.

Now I've read Lando comics, Vader comics, Tarkin novel, Catalyst, and Lords of the Sith.

The comics were very much enjoyable and did focus on the titular characters. The Tarkin novel was OK, but I really didn't care about any of the Carrion Spike stuff.

Catalyst was such a bore. While I enjoyed Rogue One, Catalyst made Galen Erso one of the most boring characters of the fiction, imo.

Everything was about crystals, crystals, crystals. He had no real personality.

Lords of the Sith I read because Palpatine is probably my favorite character. I finished the book yesterday. And I can say that as the original post said, it was largely about other characters. Mostly the twi'lek rebels. That was very disappointing.

I also notice a big disconnect between how Palpatine and Vader relate to each other across different sources.

In the films, Vader was very obedient to Palpatine in ROTJ. In the Vader comic he is at times openly defiant and Palpatine tolerates it. Palpatine also praises Vader in a way I've not seen in any other source. In Tarkin they got along just fine. In Lords of the Sith, there behavior at times made no sense

establishing early on that the role of an apprentice is to show his master loyalty while the master grants the apprentice knowledge and must always be a symbol of strength. It's said that if either apprentice or master fails on their end of the arrangement, it's the duty of the
    other to kill them.

When Palpatine is seemingly endangered, Vader shows him loyalty and helps him. But in the end believes that Palpatine was feigning weakness to expose any traitorous impulses in Vader.

He's intentionally failing in his duty as master, meaning Vader should be compelled to kill him. Yet Palpatine would then kill Vader if Vader turned on him?

It just didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Now in interviews with Charles Soule about his upcoming Vader comic, he had expressed his view that the two really do have a bond at that point in time, warped as it may be, that Palpatine is still sort of a father figure.

I get that the Story Group is not infallible or perfect, and that some things can be overlooked. But it's been annoying to see even relationships between the same two characters swing so wildly for no apparent reason.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Vialco likes this.
  5. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

Yeah. I don't know what it is, because Luceno was an author I really liked in the old EU, and especially I consider him the best prequel-era author they had. But so far, what he's written in NuCanon really isn't blowing my skirt up.

TaradosGon likes this.
  6. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    So some people are perturbed by the new EU's switch of focus to secondary characters despite many previous posters in this forum campaigning for a shift of focus to characters outside of the Skywalker/Solo dynamic during the publications of Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi? I can never imagine why the Brain Trust is not paying attention to the Internet.

Referring to the cover issue, Luceno mentioned in a previous interview that Dark Lord's subtitle was added by the editorial team, not Luceno himself. The authors can only help so much when the publishers are not willing to help. This is a primary dividing line when comparing the Legends universe, especially later Del Rey works, to the current status quo. Del Rey's lack of any editorial oversight is blatant. Bizarre style guides making the authors type Yuuzhan Vong war or the Jedi order, lack of continuity matching up such as the Betrayal/Bloodline mess up because Del Rey was unable to order their writers to put in the single paragraph capable of fixing the situation, covers put together by lazy interns snorting glue, and so forth and so on.

Most of the new timeline's material has been hit or miss, but there is a greater quality conformity. Many of the newer readers tend to forget how haphazard the Bantam run was. After Thrawn Trilogy came Jedi Academy Trilogy, proof that turning manuscripts in on time can counteract any negatives the manuscripts might have. An X-Wing novel would lead into The Courtship of Princess Leia, full of Fabios and post-Return of the Jedi Luke using a blue lightsaber. Probably the Story Group's greatest positive is its power to keep a writer from truly jumping off that cliff with a howlingly bad novel.

Still, war without end. At least I can take pictures of all my Star Wars memorabilia for the inevitable post of someone questioning my devotion to the fandom by refusing to kneel before some ill-informed orthodoxy.