main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A suggestion concering markup codes

Discussion in 'Communications' started by moosemousse, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't know if it's possible to do this but I'd like to suggest that two new markup tags are added to the boards.

The first would be a strikethrough tag, eg and to allow normal users to use a strikethrough in their posts. There are often occasions were I would like to use it but only those who can use html tags can use it.

The second tag I'd like is a spoiler tag. At the moment spoilers are hidden by using an 'hl' and a 'color' tag. Mostly it works ok with just the 'hl' tag as the font colour is normally black, but when the font colour isn't black the spoilers are still visible. What I'd like the spoiler tag to do is to combine the hl and color tags so that the text is highlighted and coloured black with just one tag.

Again, I don't know if it's possible to add these, but I thought I'd suggest it, just in case it is.

2. CloneCaptainRex

CloneCaptainRex Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2008
    The strikethrough would be a welcome addition, I second this motion.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That would be Zerosleep's area, I'm afraid. We don't have any control over those. I'm not sure if he is still deploying board code. If so, those requests would probably be pretty low on his list.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Strikethrough would be annoying as all hell. Who would want to read posts with a line drawn through them?

Also, posting with another color besides the black used for the highlight in spoilers is pretty ridiculous. People who do this should simply be notified personally that their post is idiotic... also, I have never seen it done.

5. JediMasterAmanda

JediMasterAmanda Jedi Master star 5

Sep 7, 2005
    strikethrough would be useful if one wanted to write a diary type story and the character kept scratching out what they wrote and starting over and you want to show that or something along those lines.

as for the highlight. if you use a different font color for the words just use that color for the highlight instead of black. it's just that simple.

i.e.- I am a spoiler! or I am a spoiler!

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    What moose is talking about is that the text color for a particular banner isn't always black. So if you choose to highlight your post in black but don't choose a font color, it defaults to the banner text color. If the banner is changed to one with a different font color (i.e. any banner with a dark BG color and light-colored text like the Matrix banner), your spoiler text won't be hidden. More people do this than you might realize.

And I think a strikethrough code would be <s>a really lame idea</s> fun to play with. ;)

7. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    That strikeout thing has been a fad on other boards for a year or so now.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    There are plenty of times I've wished I could use strike-through for effect. I'm sure some idiots will use it for all their text, but I would simply ignore it the same way I ignore text in colors that don't stand out well.

The spoiler tag would also be a good idea.

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Grimby understand what I'd use the strikethrough for and the problem I meant about the spoilers. JediMasterAmanda raises a good point too.

I agree that a strikethrough could be abused, but then so can all the current tags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.