main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A suggestion concerning What's the Story winners.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by LawgSkrak, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Okay, I asked this in another thread, about whether or not members of the What's the Story contest on Hyperspace would get their names highlighted in red like other writers/authors of OFFICIAL SW do. I was told no.

I understand that.

But how about anyone who wins a What's the Story contest gets their name highlighted in a different color, (blue, green, mauve, wghatever, something not aready being used) with WTS Winner under their name. I mean, these fine folk are in fact writers of a small piece of official Star Wars lore, and deserve to be recognized on the boards somehow.

So how about it, mods? Give the winners their due. I mean, a lot of folks from here have won, and I have NO idea who any of them are. It's not right.

Maybe a poll about this, see what everyone else thinks about it?

just a thought.

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Anyone???

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    We're still discussing it, and would definitely like to highlight their contribution to the GFFA somehow. Exactly how, we haven't decided yet.

There was a title policy instituted over a year ago, and we're looking at whether or not we'd have to make an exception to that policy. If we did, then it would be unfair to icon artis, banner artists, etc. to give long-term VIP titles, since they aren't staff, professional authors, an ex-administator, or an elected EUC official. We don't give titles to those without VIP colors on the JC side, so that would also be an exception. A solution could be short-term VIP like game winners, or individual forum contributors, or some other way to recognize them within the Lit forum itself.

Edit: It's Saturday morning, and obviously too early to spell.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Believe it or not, we in the Mod Squad are actually proactive about things and discussed this long ago. However, I'll say the exact same thing here as I did then:

We offer VIPship to people who are official-VIPs of LFL (authors, artists, officials, etc.) or who do some serious work for the JC. The What's The Story folks don't really fit into either of those categories AND are already being recognized by the Official Site for their contributions. We don't allow simply titles without VIPship any longer and I don't think anyone in the MS has thought this was "enough" to be recognized as a VIP.

So I personally don't really want to see us doing anything on this.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    About a month ago I threw around the possibility of providing temporary titles to WTS winners for an undetermined period of time (likely from when one Round of winners is announced until the next Round of winners is announced- in theory previous winners would share the timespan of the Round 4 winners), as I don't think it'd be appropriate to grant VIP'ship to the winners under these circumstances, and given how there could theoretically be as many as a dozen winners per round, I don't want to flood the real VIPs out amongst WTS winners.

However, as this possibility would require an exception to current policy regarding the use of titles, it's still being discussed in MS.

6. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Frankly, Icon Artists put more time into this site and deserve more credit here than someone who wrote a story for the OS.

7. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I agree with Jeff. There are a lot of people on these boards that give a lot to the JC and don't get recognized.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't want to seem like I'm dismissing the efforts of our icon artists as they give a lot to our forums and help make them fun, but I think there's something of a distinction between a fan-oriented accomplishment/contribution and that of an officially-recognized contribution, is all.

9. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I think that people that do something like help thier FanForce as staff or a CR, or are a banner artist, or a Star Wars author should be recognised as a VIP. But the authors on Hyperspace and published authors are two different leagues. Don't get me wrong, I've seen FanFics as good as novels. But unless it goes into publishing I don't think VIPship should be awarded. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

The Hooded Soul

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>But the authors on Hyperspace and published authors are two different leagues.<<

Are you comparing those two, or contrasting the two to banner artists and such?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.