a suggestion for reorganizing the Star Wars films forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Binary_Sunset, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Binary_Sunset Chosen One

star 5
    Right now there are three main SW film forums:

1. Classic Trilogy
    2. Prequel Trilogy
    3. The Star Wars Saga

I suggest combining all three of these into a single forum and retain the title of "The Star Wars Saga". This forum would be for the discussion of any and all of the six movies. If you wanted to discuss how the events of AOTC influenced the events of ESB (for example), then this would be the forum in which to do it. Or if you wanted to discuss Anakin's character arc, from his first appearance as a little boy to his appearance as a 20ish-year old Force ghost, then this would be the forum for you.

I further suggest opening a new SW film forum called "The Star Wars Trilogy". This forum, as its name suggests, would be for the discussion of the O-OT only.

I think Sept. 12 would be a good day to implement this.
  2. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I suggest combining all three of these into a single forum and retain the title of "The Star Wars Saga". This forum would be for the discussion of any and all of the six movies. If you wanted to discuss how the events of AOTC influenced the events of ESB (for example), then this would be the forum in which to do it. Or if you wanted to discuss Anakin's character arc, from his first appearance as a little boy to his appearance as a 20ish-year old Force ghost, then this would be the forum for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that not what the Saga forum already encompasses?

And whats the point of making a forum for the O-OT when there are only a few things even worth mentioning that got changed in the later releases besides cleaning it up?
  3. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I don't see why we need an O-OT forum. If I recall correctly, there's an O-OT exclusive thread in Classic and one for the DVD. What topics could possibly come up that would require an entire new forum?

And as for the combination of the other three forums... Saga is for really serious, in-depth discussion and the other two are more laidback. Things would really get messy if they were combined.
  4. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I can't really see why we'd combine the CT forum with the PT, but make a separate O-OT forum? The Saga is the CT and the OT, the O-OT is just another version of the same set of films... :confused: I could see theortically combining the PT and CT forums, but at no time would we seperate out one version of the movies from the rest. And like others have said, The Star Wars Saga forum pretty much encompasses what you're suggesting.
  5. Darth_Falcon Force Ghost

star 5
    At the moment in CT there are only 2 or 3 dedicated Original Classic Trilogy threads. Not enough to constitute making a forum just for them. Plus, as has been said, most discussion on the Originals will mirror the discussion on the Special Editions, DVD's 3-D etc.

The separation of trilogies and then the encompassing Saga forum, makes logical sense to me.
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, there's not reason to create an O-OT-Only forum (what would you call it? OOTO? ;) ). If anything, finally having the O-OT pubicly available on DVD will stimulate discussion in the existing CT forum since now more users, who previously did not have access to the originals, can better contrast/compare them to the SE's and DE's and see why the rest of us were right all along ;)

Likewise, I'll echo the others in that Saga already basicly covers what you propose a "new" Saga do.
  7. Binary_Sunset Chosen One

star 5
    It's the context.

With the PT and the SE 2.0's (i. e., the 2004 DVDs), episodes 4 through 6 have become integrated into a larger whole. These episodes are, in this new context, the second half of a larger story (of which the PT is the first half). This was made most explicit by Lucas with his putting of Hayden Christensen in the end of ROTJ (and, to a less extent, with his including Gungans there as well). Many people assume and indeed encourage further changes to eps 4 through 6 to bring them into even tighter integration with the PT.

The O-OT, however, exists as a complete whole. It exists in its own narrative universe separate from the narrative universe of the six-movie saga.

To take an example: In the six-movie saga, Vader's words to Luke in ESB will be interpreted very differently if one considers them in the context of the six-movie saga (with its rule of two) than if one considers them in the context of the O-OT trilogy.

Or, as an outside example, consider the Star Wars Expanded Universe. The EU supplies a context in which the events of the six movies have certain definite interpretations, and contrary interpretations are definitely incorrect within the EU's context. I understand, for example, that the EU supplies an interpretative context for the construction of the Death Star that isn't apparent from the context of the movies themselves.

In short, how one views and interprets the OT depends upon which context it is interpreted within:

1. the Expanded Universe context
    2. the six-movie saga context
    3. the original trilogy context

With my suggestion, there would be one forum for each of those contexts, those differing views of what constitutes the Star Wars universe. That way fans would be able to discuss Star Wars within whatever contexts they chose without entering into fundamental differences of viewpoint that can derail the topic under discussion.

But as things stand, imagine a thread regarding the lightsabre duel in ROTJ. Then imagine some O-OT fans and some PT/SE fans effectively derailing the thread by arguing whether or not the "rule of two" should be taken into account in an interpretation of the actions taken by Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. This sort of thing would be stopped before it even got started by adopting my suggestion. A discussion of the ROTJ duel in the six-movie saga context would require that it be considered with the rule of two in mind. This same discussion in the O-OT forum would forbid using the rule of two as an interpretative context. And if anyone tried to overstep the contextual bounds, all that the moderators would have to do is say, "Wrong forum," and supply the link to the appropriate forum.
  8. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    So basically, you want a forum that's stuck in a 1983 time warp. Ooookay, then.
  9. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    There are those who never want to discuss the PT and those who never want to discuss the OT. There are those who discuss both but don't want the trilogies mixed in discussion. Saga solves that issue. And a PT and OT forum solves the other. We won't break them down any further into the individal movies. But I see no real problem with how the film forums are broken out nor have we received any complaints.
  10. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    The O-OT, however, exists as a complete whole. It exists in its own narrative universe separate from the narrative universe of the six-movie saga.

This doesn't make sense to me. Regardless of what year it was made, it's all part of the saga. It an earlier version of the same movies.
  11. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    A forum just for the unedited original trilogy theater version? No. It can and does reside in the CT Forum without any issues.
  12. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Exactly, those restrictions you want can be put into place within a specific thread if you want them to be. Just a matter of discussing it with the mods of the forum. There is not enough discussion that can be had about the O-OT to require an entire forum devoted to it. It would be an interesting hting to discuss in a thread or two, or maybe three. One for each movie, but I don't think there's enough to sustain an entire forum.
  13. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I'm still waiting for the O-PT on DVD. Damn Lucas making changes to TPM and AOTC between the theatrical and DVD releases. While we're at it, can we have an O-PT forum too?
  14. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    All your suggestions can be done in a normal thread in CT if you simply clarify it at the beginning (even though it might need some reminders along the way). "What did Vader's revelation/The duel(s) on the Death Star(s)/Obi-Wan's speech on Dagobah/Boba Fett's death/The Emperor's death/Leia's Hippie Dress mean before the PT/EU/Ewok movies?"

There. Discussion of Padmé, the rule of two, Dark Empire and Cindel would be totally off-topic all of a sudden.

CT, encompassing all variations of it, has been a slow forum for a year and a half now, after the first DVDs. Why would an O-OT forum be any better?

(If I had an ego, I'd say someone's trying to get rid of me :()
  15. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I agree with Senny. If there is a good need for a thread focused on O-OT-specific elements, that shouldn't be a problem to label one as such. Feel free to PM Senny or me if you have a suggestion or question.

And Senny, I've gotten rid of Ousley... now we're back to the Rule of Two, my young apprentice.
  16. Binary_Sunset Chosen One

star 5
    Sounds good. :)
  17. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    I understand what Binary is asking for here, because he has talked to me about it already (and I already told him that the moderators wouldn't go for it). Its not the other forums he's worried about, he wants an O-OT forum. I don't agree with his suggested breakdown, but I understand his desire for an O-OT forum. Back in 2004, when the DVD announcement came out, when I would go into the CT forum, I experienced a great deal of hostility between O-OT and SE fans and I admit it was discouraging. What Binary is looking for is an escape from that, not a true restructuring.

In any event, TwiLekJedi suggestion is a good one, because there really shouldn't be a need for two OT forums, and with the excitement about the upcoming DVDs, I think that will go along ways to reducing pass tensions.

Oh, and throwing in an occasional OE banner would be cool, too ;)
  18. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    I can also see Binary's POV. There is a clear distinction now, between the O-OT and the S/E (whether thats S/E V.1 or S/E V.2)

However, twileks suggestion is a good one. If at all possible the current CT forum should be used to cater for all the differant variations of the Classic Trilogy. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure the administration can revist this in due course, but personally I can't see why Twileks suggestion can't work out. :D
  19. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    What Senny suggested though has always been the case in CT at least as far as I can remember. Possible it got changed in the 10 months I've been out of it, but someone could always request to discuss something without the SE info or without EU, etc.
  20. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Probably, EV, but I'm not sure that it was ever well known. I had some O-OT fans contact me a while back with rumors to the contrary, and they were rather upset about it. Regretably, I never did anything to confirm or deny these rumors because I was busy with SWC/PT issues when this all came up. No one has brought it up since until this thread.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.