main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Suggestion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by NarundiJedi, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Shoot this down if you must. I know TF.N is a bit cranky about all us VIPs running around already. ;)

I was thinking today that it's awfully difficult to find the New Story Indeces now that Mely isn't updating them. Her red colors made it easy to find the index even though it wasn't stickied.

I would like to suggest giving Layren, Lonewolf89 and the person updating Saga's index VIP red so we can find them easier. What say you? :)

Jae O:)

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    i think that's a good idea. Would make it easier to find the indexes. But it would be up to the mods and those higher up.

3. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Good idea.

I'll kick it up the food chain and we'll see what happens.

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    It would be especially useful for us. It's hard sometimes if the index falls to page two due to lack of activity and I have to hunt and figure out where it is :p so I can update it. The Before board is not as active as the other boards and therfore not as many new fics. Thanks for the suggestion, sweetie :) With moving and everything it's harder for me to be online than it used to be .. but Kynstar has agreed to take over until I get moved and the dust settles..

5. Elvere-Solo

Elvere-Solo Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2004
    I think this would be a good idead too. It definitely helped to find it when Melyanna was posting them.

Btw, the saga person is Sara_Kenobi.

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Add my support for that too...

7. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    ^ Mine too! :D This is a great idea!

8. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    Now that you point it out, I feel bad for not thinking of it already. But isn't that the way with most good ideas? ;)

That would be an excellent way to find the indices without having to search too terribly long. Not to mention it would give the index-workers some much-deserved visibility.

You definitely have my support.

9. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I know I haven't been around much, but I know boards and I know how annoying it can be, especially if it's a big board.

So I agree!

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    You know, I've been missing Mely's V.I.P. colours when looking for the index. It really helped when I was finishing up the Sept Index. I miss it now with the August Index. I'm sure the other Index keeper's would agree with me on that.

11. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    At this point in time, the chances of this don't look promising. We are, however, considering making the monthly indexes stickies, I believe.

Dana

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    Three stickies in each forum..? I've always felt that the two we have now was a little much. Three would make it quite cluttered looking.

If you give us colours, or not, I'd rather not see a third sticky sitting up there.

13. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I remember Melyanna saying she didn't like the idea of a sticky because she knew everyday where she had left off with indexing; the index served as a bookmark of sorts.

If stickies don't work out, maybe a mod could post the first post each month for each of the indexes?

Or perhaps a separate sock can be created, like the FF_Newsletter and SSFA_awards socks? The sock could be given VIPship so it would stand out, and it would only need to post the first posts for each month (I suppose a mod could be in charge of that?). Each of the indexers would post under their own name daily.

14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Edit: D'oh! I was suggesting a separate sock, but have just realized that Happy_Hobbit_Padawan already did.

I really should stay off the boards when I'm tired . . .

15. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    The idea was that a normal user name is difficult to make out on the boards, so I don't see how a sock would aide that way.

I'd rather not have to go to the trouble of changing usernames, every time during the day I update the Index. :(

I sometimes update twice, sometimes more, with The Saga, daily. It'd be a bit of a pain to going to all the trouble.

... but I do get what Mely said; I don't think there's a need for the Index to be a sticky. Just for it to be visable was the original request of this thread.

Either way, I just really hope it doesn't get put up there with the other stickies. I really think it would look too cluttered. :(

16. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    The thing is, making them VIPs is really not up to the fanfic mods alone, but the question has been posed and is currently being discussed.

There are other ways to find them without the VIP reds. Set up active topic notification, put it in your favorites and update the link once a month. They are also listed in the Fan Fiction Index on this board.

The threads could also be stickied if the index keepers were okay with it. A mod could start the threads once a month. There are other options that have been brought up that could be explored.

17. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    If stickies don't work out, maybe a mod could post the first post each month for each of the indexes?

This idea has merit. It wouldn't be any more difficult than making stickies (actually, it'd be easier since it doesn't need to be done by a manager) and there'd be an easy to spot name.

18. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I'll admit I like that idea much better than the stickies...

The only dispute I can think of against it, right now, is that people might think the current Index Keeper's aren't the one's responsible for taking care of it, anymore. I like this job, and I like dealing with the questions I'm given.

I really don't care, either way, about the colors. I didn't take the job ever thinking that it would ever be part of the package, as Keeper's of the past never were given colors for the responsibility.

I'm sure the other Keeper's likely thought something along those lines too before taking this on.

I was suprised though, I'll admit, pleasantly so, when I seen the suggestion posted. Anyone would be.

My hope is what ever is chosen is the best solution, since some folks see some fault in the way things currently are presented with the Index's.

19. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I wouldn't mind having a Mod post the first post every month, though I agree with Sara that it may cause some confusion. But, at least it could make the thread stand out.

However, I don't like the idea of having stickies. Too often those are overlooked. I think it works better having the Index mixed in with the story threads so that people are able to see it when they scroll through the board. That's just my two cents.

20. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    The idea was that a normal user name is difficult to make out on the boards, so I don't see how a sock would aide that way.

I'd rather not have to go to the trouble of changing usernames, every time during the day I update the Index.

I sometimes update twice, sometimes more, with The Saga, daily. It'd be a bit of a pain to going to all the trouble.

Actually Sara_Kenobi, I was thinking that the sock could get colors (don't know how that would go over with the admins, though). In addition, you wouldn't ever need to log on to that sock - perhaps a mod would post the opening posts each month. Each of the indexers would then just post as their own username each day, as they do already.

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sep 21, 2000
    I know what you're trying to say with your suggestion, but since the mods already have colors themselves, if they choose to go this way, I think they'd likely go with their own username instead of a sock with V.I.P. colors.

It would take away the problem for the Index Keeper's, but would only pass the burden of a sock to the Moderator's. :(

Also, the sock, if they decided on this way, would only be used once a month when posting the Index. Not really worth the bother of creating a sock in the first place, I think, as it would be barely put to use.

22. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I like the idea of the mods posting the first post for each month. You'd think that there would always be at least one fanfic mod on for the first of every month, so we'd always have somebody to post it.

Also, now that I know you do the Saga index updates, Sara, I'm not going to forget you're the one who does them. ;) The same goes with Before and Beyond. Credit will definitely be given, because it's not an easy task you're undertaking!

Jae O:)

23. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Why not have the mods start the threads every month, but then give the indexers titles to avoid confusion?

(they should get titles anyway, imho ;) )

24. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Okay. If one of the mods starts the index for the first of the month (start it for September as the indexes are already established this month), then the index keepers can follow it up with their regular information post and daily posts after that?

We will try to get a mod who doens't normally post on that specific board so their name will stand out a little better. Would that work?

25. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Why not give them colors? I see no reason why not to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.