main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CARDS *A* SW:CCG Attack of the Clones Expansion Project (formerly Quest's)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 29, 2002.

1. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    For those who might be interested... here are a couple of Episode One templates for the CCG that can be used to make "dream" cards. Finding great images on the web will be the challenge. It should get easier now that the new movie has hit.

http://homepage.mac.com/dark182nd/PhotoAlbum3.html

I'll post some other templates as I find time to get them done.

Restrainingbolt

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    (Dark Side) Seismic Charges (4)

Time-delayed explosive device. When detonated, it unleashes a titanic curtain of energy, causing any ships in the area to immediately take evasive action.

STARSHIP WEAPON

Deploy on your starfighter (except TIEs). May randomly target an opponent's starship; target is power -4 for remainder of turn. Draw destiny. Add 2 if targeting a starfighter or squadron, 1 if a capital ship. Target hit if destiny > defense value.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps it would better to restrict it to deploying on bombers, transports and independent starships? Otherwise we'll have Droid Starfighters, etc dropping them::)

EDIT- ooh, and a thought...perhaps add "OR once per turn, add 3 to a just drawn asteriod destiny." ?

4. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    AOTC Expansion_Preview card # 1
    Ben Kenobi, Jedi Knight

Ok.. just getting started and this card was a bit rushed. Need to work on getting a better font, better lore and so on. This is what could have been had Decipher kept the license.

Let's do it ourselves! Going to need plenty of suggestions.

http://homepage.mac.com/dark182nd/PhotoAlbum4.html

Restrainingbolt

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One thing, for these images, is we need to determine what image size (pixel x pixel dimensions) and dpi will be needed in order to print these cards out at the proper size to fit into a card sleeve...on top of the trickiest part, which will be finding a font that will still be readable at that size and allow the proper amount of characters per line (alas, we can't cut and paste from decipher's overly-large card images, since the words would be unreadable after reduction).

Also, I think perhaps it wise to not release anymore "preview cards" until we've finalized more of this project (the existing one restrainingbolt put up will be fine for now, as it's main purpose, i believe, was to encourage more dream card submissions).

Our next piece of business for this thread is to generate our Objectives and Epic Events for the 3 expansions (so, 2 per expansion [one for each side], times 3 expansions means 6 total). This way, we can build the gametext of our characters and support characters around these larger gameplay elements.

For "Coruscant 2", I recall someone posting an interesting "Anakin/Padme" objective dream card a couple months ago..I'll see if i can dig that thread up. The dark side I think should have something to do with assassination attempts. I'm also thinking an epic event that allows speeder chases through Coruscant (something along the lines of a combination of podracing and asteriod rules). Also, I think adding in a new podracing epic event (along the lines of "Malastare Podracing") in reference to the podracing seen on the vid-screen in the nightclub.

For "Kamino", it's gotta be cloning I think. To be fair, I think both sides of the force should have access to objectives for this..afterall, the Kaminoans are only friendly depending on how deep your pocketbook is::)

For "Geonosis", I'm guessing the darkside gets the Arena, while the lightside gets a republic assault or jedi-based objective.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

6. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    >>One thing, for these images, is we need to determine what image size (pixel x pixel dimensions) and dpi will be needed in order to print these cards out at the proper size to fit into a card sleeve...on top of the trickiest part, which will be finding a font that will still be readable at that size and allow the proper amount of characters per line (alas, we can't cut and paste from decipher's overly-large card images, since the words would be unreadable after reduction).<<

Card size is very close to 2.5" x 3.5". The final image resolution can be as high as the images on the web allow. Most images posted to the web are only 72 dpi, so finding large images allows for increasing the resolution as the image size is decreased to fit the card window. I've personally been finding that 200 dpi is an adequate resolution to work with in photoshop. That resolution is more than sufficient for output to most inkjet or color laser printers.

Personally, I've been sizing my cards in QuarkXPress (a pagination program) while keeping my photoshop images at the largest size and highest resolution possible. It also allows for printing a number of cards at the same time. The images I've been posting to the web are at or near 72 dpi. I haven't been wanting to take up limited web space allotments, or increase downloading time of the images into browsers.

>>Also, I think perhaps it wise to not release anymore "preview cards" until we've finalized more of this project (the existing one restrainingbolt put up will be fine for now, as it's main purpose, i believe, was to encourage more dream card submissions).<<

Well that's going to be tough. My son is chaffing at the bit after having seen the Ben image. He's got a great ZAM pic ...so don't be too surprised to see another card image surface tomorrow evening. It'll be hard to keep that renagade card designer in tow. These are for fun and can be modified as required if the project develops and really starts to get serious. ;)

Restrainingbolt

7. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Like I posted in Restrainingbolt's post, I have a couple of fonts (one for lore, one for game text) that match almost perfectly when printed out. I have put them temporarily on my webspace, but am kinda wary about leaving them there because too much traffic may boot my internet bill up. If anyone is willing to host the fonts, that'd be great.

Pick 'em up here. Use "NewsGoth BdXCn BT Bold" for the lore and "Swiss911 UCmBT Regular" for game text.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    fair enough::)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The best way to get titles and lores to look right is to simply copy and paste them from existing Decipher cards.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Super Battle Droid (2)

Manufactured by the Techno Union, these droids are remarkably superior to the standard Baktoid battle droid.

POWER 4 ARMOR 4 Super Battle Droid

Permanent weapon is Wrist Blaster (may target a character or creature using 1 Force; draw destiny; add 1 for each other Super Battle Droid present; target hit if > defense value).

Deploy 4 Droid presence icon
    Forfeit 4

11. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Check out the AOTC CCG Preview images for 3 lightside and 3 darkside cards.

http://homepage.mac.com/dark182nd/PhotoAlbum4.html

Please...suggestions are welcome.

Restrainingbolt

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    One thing to add to the SBD's text:

While with two other [Droid presence icon] droids, draws two battle destiny if unable to otherwise.

13. Riat_Star

Riat_Star Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Good stuff, folks. I've been thinking about this too, specifically the Anakin/Vader problem. Here's what I've come up with:

Inner Conflict: Mara Jade and Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader represent characters who have personas on both sides of the Force. One side may attempt to ?turn? the other side?s persona through Inner Conflict. If a copy of the persona is in play, the opposing side may deploy their version to the same site (if possible). Each player draws 2 destiny. Add 1 for each force icon present for their own side of the force (this includes force icons granted by Jedi Masters/Dark Jedi Masters). The winner keeps their persona in play. The loser places their persona in the Lost Pile. The exceptions to this rule are: Lando Calrissian, The Emperor, Palpatine, and Sidious.

Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader: These two characters are considered to be the same persona for purposes of gameplay. They may not be in play at the same time. If Vader is in play, Anakin may not deploy unless Vader is turned from the Dark Side (through the use of the Interrupt Anakin Skywalker). If Anakin is in play, Vader may deploy and initiate Conflict.

I'd love to make an Anakin Skywalker defensive shield as well, as well as some helper cards to make turning Vader back a little more playable.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    What if it's a tie?

15. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Anakin Skywalker/Padawan Protector

Forbidden Love (alternate images)

The Anakin cards are correctly sized to cut out once printed.

I like the idea behind the flipping Anakin, but I think there's going to have to be some way to deal with this problem without some gimmick. Personally, I'm going to create my own cards (and some of yours) and use them in a prequel-only environment. Then there won't be any Anakin-Vader conflicts.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IMO, if Palpatine, Sidious & Emperor are three different personas, I have no problem with Anakin and Vader being different personas. I could see the possible inclusion of a "may not deploy or move to same site as Vader (or vice versa)" clause though.

17. Riat_Star

Riat_Star Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    You're right about that tie thing, Bib. I'll have to think about that.

As for having Vader and Anakin being different personas, I sort of feel that kills the DSII interupt Anakin Skywalker, as well as the Bring Him Before Me objective. I'd rather keep these cards playable in some way.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, here is my suggested persona names...

Since there is already a "Fett" persona for Boba, I think we can retroactively make that apply to both Jango and Boba to avoid confusion. Regardless, the creation of seperate "Boba" and "Jango" personas will be needed to differeniate between the two of them.

"Zam" is better to use than "Wesell" since its shorter.

"Dooku" and "Tyranus" should be seperate personas

"Bail" to avoid confusion with Leia by using "Organa"

"Poggle"

any other major ones I'm forgetting?

19. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Couple of things...

1. Obi-Wan is a JEDI MASTER in Attack of the Clones. His ability should be a 7, not 6.

2. The whole Anakin Skywalker thing can be resolved just like Darth Sidious, Senator Palpatine, and Emperor. Anakin and Darth Vader are two different Personas. While at the same site, Anakin may not participate in the same battles as Vader.

20. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Obi-Wan wasn't a master yet. He was called "Master Kenobi" as a title because he was training Anakin. I mean, wasn't Anakin called "Master" at one point in the movie?

21. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    According to the novel, while Obi-Wan was addressed as MASTER Kenobi, his official rank was KNIGHT. He was addresed as Master Kenobi because he had a Padawan Learner.

22. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    According to Wizards Star Wars RPG game (you may shudder now), He has a few ranks as a Master.

23. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Great Pics 1stAD. I love the pic expecially of the Anakin Skywalker card. I hadn't found a picture I really liked! The one on your card is spectacular.

You mention that the card is already the correct size for outputting. I'm curios what resolution you're using

I think the font needs work especially on the Objective cards. If you'd like the Helvetia fonts I'm using on mine, let me know. Haven't tried them on objective cards, but I suspect the font is the same.

Restrainingbolt

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps, instead of the Vader clause, make it so Anakin cannot deploy if a DS2-expansion objective is on the table?

25. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Posted an updated Padme Senator along with Mace Windu, "This Parties Over."

I've also managed to locate a slew of great new pics and may post some of them on a separate page on my site. In addition, I have put together a card in process page. I'm not great when it comes to game text so I'm going to need help when it comes to that. For those who are interested, take a look at the cards in process, and let me know what you all think the game text should be. I'm not even sure what the exact names of a number of the vehicles should be.

http://homepage.mac.com/dark182nd/PhotoAlbum5.html

Restrainingbolt