main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A symbol of hope"- The Alliance Starbird and fitting new canon with the old (Minor TFU spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    *NOTE*

Please be incredibly vague when talking about plot points of TFU. My intent is that someone could stumble on this thread without fear of major spoilers. Hence why I try not to discuss major plot points, locations, character fates, etc.

The Alliance Starbird is arguably one of the most recognizable symbols from the Star Wars universe. However, there have been several different accounts of where the Starbird comes from and how it became used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic as the symbol of their rebellion against Imperial opression.

Old Viewpoint

The Starbird was one of the symbols of the Old Republic. It was featured prominently on the bow of the Republic's capital ships, featured on decorations given to veterans of the Clone Wars, and assumed to be variation of the symbol of the Jedi Order. Before The Force Unleashed, we were told that the leaders of the Rebel Alliance chose the Starbird due to its significance as a symbol of the Republic. By virture of the founding mission (ie, restoring the Republic), it made good sense to adorn this seal on Rebel pilot's helmets, flags, ribbons, medals, etc.

The Starbird is significant enough to the Rebellion that they use it as the symbol of the interm Alliance of Free Planets. Following the Declaration of the New Republic, the symbol is the centerpiece of their new seal. Following the reorganization of the New Republic into the Galactic Alliance, the Starbird seens continued use as the major identifier of the heirs of the Old Republic. As of 137 ABY, this seal is still used by the remnants of the Alliance.

New Viewpoint

The symbol was part of the seal of the Marek family. It adorned their family home on Kashyyyk, featured prominently on banners and handcarved tables. Following the events of The Force Unleashed, the seal is chosen as the symbol of the newly formed Rebel Alliance.

A happy medium

Now, my argument is that both viewpoints can fit together quite well, with a bit of elbow grease. For starters, there is nothing in TFU that makes it appear that the symbol is unknown to the Rebel leaders. They merely decide to use it in honor of the Marek family, which sacrificed much for the Rebellion.

Is it not possible to argue that the Marek family chose the symbol due to it's connection to the Old Republic? That the symbol is doublely significant to the Rebellion due to its larger connection to the Republic, as well as its more personal connection to Marek? You average solider in the Rebel Alliance would see it as reminder of the Republic they are fighting to restore, while those most intimately involved with its formation would know the second, more personal connection.

Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

2. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Nick,

Could it be something as simple as being akin to the "lion rampant", which shows up on many banners, symbols of state, symbols of families, and began as the Lion of Judah?

It's more than possible that the "starbird" symbol had ancient origins, perhaps in some cases even religious, and was taken as a symbol for a honoured family but also showed up in some official governments and even religious in various guises.

Heck, the symbol for MI5 is a Gryphon with a fish tail, but I've seen the same thing on older banners and flags, but obviously someone liked it and it became the seal for MI5 (and a cool tat on my left arm, with the lion rampant on my right).

The point is; I don't think it needs to set up a clash within canon, because it's a symbol of the family doesn't preclude it being used in other capacities over the ages, and I can easily see where the symbol of a starbird (which could be taken as our Phoenix) is a natural for space-faring humans.

As you say; there's nothing to suggest that the symbol was unknown, it's just that the specific origin is to honor Marek, but it also has the bonus of being related to previous symbols or the Republic and possibly the Jedi order and perhaps various forms of the starbird have shown up down through the ages on other crests and banners.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    My thoughts exactly. The family had long served the republic, so they adopted its symbol as their own....

I am just confused as to why the Republic has two symbols-what would become the Imperial symbol, and what would become the Rebel symbol.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

If we treat it as the Marek family's "coat of arms" so to speak, it doesn't necessarily mean it is a completely unique symbol, just the one they happened to use. Its then as simple as it just being doubly appropriate for the Rebellion to adopt it due to its Republic connotations.

In real life heraldry uses a set of existing symbols--at least in the UK, I know in the US people just do it for fun and there isn't the College of Arms to enforce rules or anything-- so there isn't anything to say Star Wars isn't the same. The Marek family themselves may well have chosen it for the historic meaning behind "the phoenix" firebird symbol.

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'd say we should drop the idea of it being linked with the Republic and embrace the notion of it being a variation on the Jedi Order's seal. It makes sense if the Marek family has had a long history of connection to the Jedi Order. We don't currently have any canon appearances of the starbird emblem during the Clone Wars or Republic period do we? The only thing like it during the Clone Wars we now have is the Jedi emblem on Obi-wan and Anakin's armor plates. So... there ya go. I always thought even the very idea of the Jedi was a big point of inspiration with the Rebellion anyways.

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Pretty much what I assumed.

7. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I agree that the "old" and "new" can live together quite easily. I'll admit that I'd never done a whole lot of research into the starbird's origins (even though I have a tattoo of it, lol), but I think the "new" symbolism is very poignant and fitting.

8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Given the formal and informal ties between the Republic and Jedi, I don't see why all three versions of its significance (Republic, Jedi, and Marek family) can't have healthy elements of truth to them.

Ah, interesting; so it also has ties to Tinian I'att, then. ;-)

10. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, I figured that it was a circular chain of heritage to some degree or another. When it comes to the continuity conflict, Occam's Razor would seem to make the "Marek family takes the crest based on an Old Republic/Jedi/Whatever symbol" the most likely explanation.

Especially since unless the story of the Marek Family is continually told and re-told amidst the members of the Alliance (something there's little to no indication of, presently, though of course that's the kind of thing that'd require retconning in given the nature of the Marek family's introduction), it'd be a pretty empty symbol for most unless it had some ties to other historical precedents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.