Amph A Tad Williams Discussion: "Otherland", "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn", "War of the Flowers", etc

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by droideka27, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I just started Shadowmarch the other night and am enjoying it so far! It doesn't really seem much like game of thrones to me, except for the obvious map similarities and the shadowline being compared to the ice wall, which is pretty different.

Damn it, I want to see the next game of thrones book out!!!
  2. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Finished Dragonbone Chair monday.

Well I must say that the book was absolutley great! I just hope that it doesn't become boring like Otherland did.
  3. droideka27 Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I thought the later books in otherland were far better than the earlier books, actually.

I am glad you liked Dragonbone chair! I bet you're going to like the next two. All the characters just got so much better.

I just finished shadowmarch the other day... now I need to run out and buy the second one, which, unfortunately is in hardback. I really dislike reading hardback books. oh, well, I don't feel like waiting until paperback.

Anyways, Shadowmarch was no Song of Ice and Fire, but it was still pretty intriguing. Briony is a neat character.
  4. emilsson Chosen One

star 6
    Yes, I too want to read Shadowplay soon (luckily my pile of books to read is so huge the paperback edition will be available when I have time for it ;)). I am curious about Briony's fate.

Overall, Williams' series tend to get better and better the further you read. I enjoyed Otherland, but the plot took its time to truly get going.
  5. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Anyone ever figure out what the Book 4 Storm was about?
  6. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow I'm reading the second book of his new Shadowmarch series.

Really, really great story.

I almost feel bad since I just can't really stand Otherland that much considering I have loved the March books and The Dragonbone Chair so much.
  7. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Just now finished reading Shadowplay 5 minutes ago.

I really enjoyed this 2nd book even more then the 1st I believe. I recommend them to TW fans however, you can definetly see the resemblance of characters from M,T,&S in this series.
  8. Pyrus Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll have to get the second book soon. I found the first a bit hard to get into and wasn't all that happy with the ending but I could say the same about Otherland and I did end up liking that. This will have to wait few weeks though, it got bumped for a couple of Gaiman trades in my latest order with my copy of Reapers Gale. *Obsessively checks tracking info again*
  9. JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost

star 5
    Like I said I really enjoyed it. Some parts are really slow in it but to me the story actually picks up and blossoms. A lot more information is revealed to the reader about the Gods and I really like that. Also we finally get to see King Olin!
  10. Lord Bane Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I broke my eyes and read all three of the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn books this summer. Williams' fantasy is epic, uplifting and just super keen. I found some dragging passages here and there. Yeah, it could've been cut by a few hundred pages and still retained the thrust of the story, but it was good anyway. Unlike a lot of other recent fantasy stories that dwell on "realistic" medeival fantasy, with the raping, plundering, gore, and everything else that was...well...really there, MS&T eschews all that for a hero's quest that is accessible to everyone and as entertaining as the Original Trilogy.

*** out of ****
  11. WhiteWolf Jedi Master

star 2
    Haven't posted in a long while, but...

I'm currently reading STONE OF FAREWELL, and am really, really enjoying these books. THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR was one of the very best books I read all of last year (in Dec.), and I'm not taking any long breaks between volumes with this series, because I don't think I can stand to be away from it for too long.

And I am almost completely new to the genre. I've mostly been an SF reader in the past, which is how I came upon Williams' OTHERLAND books. I read those and loved every single one, but the first and last were my favorites.

Some friends of mine in another forum have been trying to convince me to give fantasy a try for about a year or so. Mostly they have been telling me to read Martin's A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE books, but I'm wary of the long wait between publication of books.

But being that I'm familiar with Tad Williams, I went ahead and read THE WAR OF THE FLOWERS early last year. As the first actual fantasy novel I've read, I enjoyed it, even though some of the fantasy concepts were a bit off the charts for me. It didn't matter, however, because even as a newbie to fantasy fiction, Williams' writing is so strong that I stayed glued to every page and involved with every character.

Call it a security thing, but once I was ready to read a full-fledge fantasy epic, and I knew I liked Williams, and he had one just sitting there, already finished, it seemed an obvious choice to me to read MEMORY SORROW AND THORN. And I'm glad I am, because I'm loving it.

Currently about halfway through STONE OF FAREWELL, and recommend this to any fantasy newbs, being one myself.

Oh, and it's nice to be back. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.