main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Tale Of Two Luke's

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mandalore74, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Which Luke Skywalker do you buy into? The one from novels like I, Jedi where Corran realizes just how powerful Luke is, and that he could easily take out anybody. Or, the one that has been known to almost pass out from using the Force. So which is it? Tough Luke, or wuss Luke?

I personally think that Luke is the silent but deady type, and that he really never shows what he can do. I just hope he does eventually.

2. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    Tough Luke

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    This questiong delves into so many issues that it's almost impossible to answer. Plus it has to do with opinion (whether or not Luke was using the Dark Side in the Bantam series as Mara pointed out).

I personally think that he was indeed using the Dark Side a bit, and now that he is tapping into the Force with only his will and power of thought it takes a lot more out of him. Yes, he is still the most powerful Jedi, and I think he can still take out just about anyone, it's just that it takes more work than before. Therefore, he's the same Luke, just evolving.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    He passed out after doing something that borders on physically impossible. By moving the Black Hole, he was doing the equivalent of splitting the atom, or tossing around Death Stars. That he was even able to budge the thing is a sign that he's incredibly strong.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Both. Luke can do just about whatever, but his anxiety overwhelms and tires him. When he was worried about Eye of Palpatine and Callista he got ground down. When he was worried about Jacen he got exhausted. He can draw the force with amazing control, and do whatever, when he keeps a clear head, but he worries about others and it gets to him.,

6. Doogie76

Doogie76 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 5, 2001
    Quote from Empire..."Control, control!! You must learn control". I think Luke is more powerful when he concentrates.

7. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    He must have control. He is a Jedi Master.

8. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Definetly tough Luke. He never was using the Dark Side and Mara is full of crap. I will think this until I see a Jedi pass out on the big screen.

Having said that, I can accept him passing out after moving the black hole. While I firmly agree in the whole "size matters not" thing, "only different in your mind" is pretty hard for a man to overcome when you are talking about a black hole.

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I think the whole thing about him falling in love with all these "touch independent" girls is kind of annoying. I'm all for tough women, but for characters, it gets kind of dull when they're all over. We have Leia for that.

I like the tough Luke, though getting bossed around by such a one-D character like Mara is pretty sad..

10. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    When did Luke move a black hole??

11. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    See what I mean? Now, people refuse to accept something that was stated in the EU as a fact: Luke was using the Dark Side as far as the EU is concerned. Like it or not. You can say that you don't believe it, or that Mara was wrong, but from the standpoint of those in power as far as the EU is concerned, he was.

The problem though is that people can refuse to accept this, which makes this question nearly impossible to answer.

12. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    When did Luke move a black hole? Was that in VP?

13. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Just because it's Mara's opinion in the book and Luke is dumb enough to listen and his students are too trusting to argue with him does not make it a fact.

14. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't think he was using the Dark Side as such...but that depend on if I have the difference right.

Luke was using a LOT of power and by using the Force in that way he was taking the quick and easy route to many solutions as well as deafening himself to the insights the Force could offer (to use a different analogy, if you sail a yacht you can hear the sounds of the sea better than if you are driving a speedboat).

BUT he was drawing that power from the force using the methods Yoda had tried to teach him, immersing himself in the force and guiding it, rather than the Dark Side techniques of using anger and passion to impose pure will on the force while remaining individual.
    And Luke had never lost his sense of justice and morality so he served the cause of good.

So I think that Luke was in danger of slipping if he had allowed frustration to drive him into using Dark side techniques (which are inherently corrupting), and that by scaling back on the power he has gained insight he would otherwise have missed, but I don't think he ever fell back to the Dark Side after Leia (and Embryo-Anakin Solo) redeemed him.

(On a side note, I do think that the Jedi Powers needed a slight scale back as some of the deeds performed were getting.....superhero like. Analogy would be Superman where originally he could jump a few city blocks and "nothing less than a bursting shell could pierce his skin" and eventually he was able to shove planets around...until they rebooted the character)

15. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Didn't the Solo KIDS move some planets or fleets of Star Destroyers or something? I mean, come on, for a Jedi those powers are imposisble, but for KID Jedi???? Please.

Whats this about moving a black hole? Is this where they crashed a moon onto Chewie, too?

16. Ace-777

Ace-777 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2001
    I agree with Mandalore74 but Luke has shown a bit of his potential a few times, like on Bespin when he stood up to a Sith Lord for about half an hour, also there's on the 2nd Death Star where he beats a Dark Lord (although the Sith was old and more than half machine), there's Jedi Search the whole thing when he's trying to recruit Gantoris, after that he's a wimp until when he rescue's Jacen from the Vong camp. And then when he moved the miniture Black Hole.

17. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    Yeah, I think from about the JA trilogy to the end of teh Bantham run Luke was portrayed as a wimp. We have seen flashes of tough Luke in the NJO, but nothing really consistent. Unfortunately I don't think we will either, since it is the NEW Jedi Order. I think Anakin will be portrayed the way Luke should have been.

18. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.."

This is what Luke did. He definitley was using the dark side through a lot of the Bantam novels...and its YODA who is backing it up! HOw much more evidence is needed here? I think that there really isnt two lukes. It always made sense to me that sometimes extreme and sustained use of the force would be tiring. Luke is incredibly strong, as is demonstrated by many of the fights that we have seen him in. However, he is only human. Using that much power as he does in books like ruin SHOULD be tiring. It makes sense that he blacks out. I think that in the statements "do or do not, there is no try," and "size matters not," dont mean that that much use of the force isnt exhausting. Look at what happened when Dorsk 81 moved all those SD's in Darksaber. He DIED. So cut luke some slack, here. The guy can only do so much.

(And im going to ignore those comments about mara...who set luke back on the right path after he had been going on the wrong one for so long)

19. bterrik

bterrik Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2001
    Tough Luke.

But, I can see passing out after moving a black hole.

Which he did in Onslaught I think.

20. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I like wuss Luke. He's fun to laugh at.

21. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    Alright, another question then. Do you think that with the birth of his child, Ben, Luke will do anything to protect him, or will become a total wimp and only worry about him in a wimpy way?

22. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    When did Luke move a Black Hole what book was this?

23. Mandalore74

Feb 1, 2001
    I think it was in Onslaught. Oh yeah, now I remember. He moved the black hole that the doval basin was protecting the big Vong walker with so it could be destroyed. I can't believe I forgot that, that was a great scene. Damn 'Nati Light is killing my brain cells.

24. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    During the production of ESB, it was decided that any use of TK was of the Dark Side. Luke seems to have expanded upon that slightly- he can move objects, but doing it with the Light Side is a difficult task that requires one's full concentration. From The Annotated Screenplays:

Lucas felt that at one point during the training Ben should explain to Luke that he should use his powers with moderation. If he uses too much of the Force, it will start using him. For example, to lift objects Luke has to use the bad side of the Force, so if he overuses this power, the dark side will start taking him over as it did with Vader..

25. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    Luke can be tough but he's to afraid of himself to ever really try. You got to image that every time he uses the force there is that little Vader on his shoulder telling him that he is a wuss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.