main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Taller Perspective - Chewie's interpretation of the events of ANH - action/adventure/comedy/etc

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Linewalker, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Linewalker

Jedi_Linewalker Jedi Master star 2

May 1, 2005
    Title: A Taller Perspective
    Author(s): Jedi Linewalker
    Timeframe: OT ANH
    Characters: Chewie, other canon characters
    Genre: drama/comedy/etc
    Keywords: OT, Chewie, Chewbacca
    Summary: This is a smattering of events from the OT told from Chewie?s perspective, from his POV
    Notes: No ROTS Spoilers?at least, there shouldn?t be

A Taller Perspective

Ever read a history readout? Think they?re accurate? Think again. History tends to be written by those in charge, or in the case of a war, by whoever wins. History doesn?t have to be centuries ago. History can be five minutes ago.

The history of the Old Republic underwent a very thorough and complete change when the Empire came to power. Events that would rally the Rebel Alliance were deleted or distorted, and bad events that would vilify the Empire were cleaned up, polished and embellished. Sort of makes you wonder if anything is even halfway accurate, when you hear about it.

I have seen quite a bit of history in my two hundred and some odd years. I remember the way the Old Republic was, how grand it could be, and what a great place the galaxy could be then. I saw the first steps towards the Empire, and I saw the Empire rise to power. Because of this, I guess, history has become pretty important to me over the years.

My name is Chewbacca, and I?m a Wookie. Yes, a Wookie. What? You didn?t think Wookies cared about history, or would go to this much trouble? Think again. Wookies have been very involved in the goings on of the galaxy for millennia. We had Senators in the Old Republic Senate, we have many strong leaders on Kashyyyk, and we are a people that are very conscious of what goes on around us, and how it affects us.

Just because we can?t speak Basic doesn?t mean that we?re mindless animals. That?s Imperial thinking. Wookies can?t speak Basic because our larynx and vocal chords aren?t designed for that sort of linguistic ability. However, we understand Basic, as well as a slew of other languages from around the galaxy, and can read and write in most of them that we can understand. Every Wookie is different, of course.

Our culture appears very primitive to most human and near human eyes. We live in thatched huts in the tops of enormous trees, and our planet is a jungle, pretty much, from one continent to the next. However, we are more than simply large, strong, arboreal, hairy bipeds. We have refined manufacturing that we do as well. Where do you think the bow caster comes from? Surely you don?t think BlasTech or SoroSub makes them, do you?

Anyway, I digress. What got me started talking about history and all this to begin with? It?s a shame more humans don?t understand Shyriiwook, the language of the Wookies, because a lot of things would be told different if they did. Many things we Wookies say, and me in particular, get ignored or mistranslated, and that leads to trouble.

Right as the Empire was on the rise, I met a young human named Han Solo. He saved me from an Imperial slave detail, because he couldn?t stand to see myself, and my fellow Wookies, treated like we were animals. He saved my life, meaning that according to the customs and traditions of my people, I owe him a life debt. I have to travel with him and work with him until that debt is repaid, until I die, or until he dies.

Because of Han, I managed to get myself involved in a lot of events that were key to the Rebels winning the war against the Empire. Most of it, at first anyway, was completely by accident on Han?s part. He?s a great guy, just not so bright sometimes. He tends to put his blaster where his hyperdrive should be a lot.

Han took up being a freighter pilot not long after being kicked out of the Imperial Navy after rescuing me. Naturally, I went along, because let?s face it?the boy?s a great guy, but he just wasn?t that good a businessman, or pilot. He needed help, and it was my duty to help him. When doing normal freight didn?t cut the mustard, he took to smuggling. There was a genius decision.

He?d won

2. son-of-kenobi

son-of-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    that was really good... quite a few really funny and quirky sentences that had me laughing...anymore to Chewies tale?

good work

VC

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Hooray! Chewie finally has his say! [face_laugh]

Loved it!

4. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Ahhh...really cool to see ANH from a Wookiee's perspective! The comments he makes about Han Solo just kill me! [face_laugh]. I liked how you write Chewie to be so derogatory about Han, while you can still see the affection underneath.

Great story!

5. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    You get a Medal for this!!!!

6. Jedi_Linewalker

May 1, 2005
    son-of-kenobi that was really good... quite a few really funny and quirky sentences that had me laughing...anymore to Chewies tale?

good work

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed. It was an idea that sprang from Chewie being mistranslated, purposely, by Han sometimes, and that's what grew out of it. I knew when I wrote it it was probably the kind of story that's not for everybody, and a lot quirkier than my other work. The fact that someone enjoyed it is a rewarding feeling. Thank you, and yes, I'll probably write his perspective on ESB and ROTJ as well at some point.

VaderLVR64 Hooray! Chewie finally has his say!

Loved it!

*chuckles* Thanks, hon. I'm very glad you enjoyed it. I figured it was about time someone gave one of my favorite characters a moment in the limelight. "I suggest a new strategy, Artoo...let the Wookie talk."

LadyPadme Ahhh...really cool to see ANH from a Wookiee's perspective! The comments he makes about Han Solo just kill me! I liked how you write Chewie to be so derogatory about Han, while you can still see the affection underneath.

Great story!

Thank you! I'm very pleased you liked it. Since they were always described as being like brothers in their relationship, it made sense for Chewie to speak as if he were his brother. The whole "I can talk bad about him if I want, but nobody else better say anything bad, because he's my brother" attitude was what I was going for.

darksideyesplease You get a Medal for this!!!!

*laughs* High praise indeed. Thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed

7. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Poor Chewie always gets the short end of the stick, doesn't he? =D= Thanks for giving Chewie his own viggie.

8. owphoenix

owphoenix Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 7, 2003
    Very nice

9. Jedi_Linewalker

May 1, 2005
    LukesTheMan and owphoenix thank you very very much for reading

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.