1. Oh hai Guest!

    Welcome to the RPF!

Fantasy A Tempest of Fears: a d20 Dungeons & Dragons adventure (Primary)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Saintheart, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Well, that does it.

    Seriously, I'll take it that Zaid did step up next to Malaeus, with everyone else strung out behind them. Can everyone just wait a day or so for me to update? :D
  2. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    The Party
    Somewhere below the earth
    Three hours past dawn, Third of Marpenoth
    Year of Lightning Storms (1368 DR)

    Zaid had been long in the sands. He had seen horrors rise from dry oceans; had stood firm as things that shook the earth reared with fangs like knives for him. His blood had been spilled; he had spilled the blood of other men, had stood a hundred battlefields against large and small.
    But something within him still built like a scream; one he brought his will upon even as he wondered why it came. Why did some voice inside him seek to cry out No, do not, as the witch pushed the door open.

    And then what was within was revealed, and he knew.

    They came leaping into the pale light cast by the witch’s staff. Vaguely humanoid in shape, covered in viscous slime, shifting scales, and fishbelly-white flesh. Their huge eyes never blinked; their mouths gaped and flexed, but no sound emerged as they surged forward. Four of them, horrors unlike anything Zaid had ever seen. Their movement was impossible in air; they moved with the liquid horror that leviathans in their watery hells moved. Steel glinted, as cutlasses arced in the pale, broken light.

    [IMG]

    He got his shield up as one of the creatures’ cutlasses lashed in like a tentacle, a short, ringing staccato that cleared his head. But, sickeningly, another noise to his right – the hiss and scream as a school of blows caught Malaeus cleanly, weapons carving into the mage, that most horrible of noises as blood pattered like rain on the cold stone of the floor. The creatures surged forward, and the mage fell – unconscious, dying, who could tell—

    --The snarl of a demon, and Summer was bounding forward, teeth bared. Malaeus might not have been Darron, but he was of Summer’s pack, now, and the wolf’s teeth were at least fast enough to catch and clamp onto one of the horrors’ throats. He tore at it.
    Darron heard a noise he’d take to his grave as the monster screamed, throwing Summer from it. Unspeakable ichors gouted to the floor from the beast. A foul odours wafted across Darron, and the druid gritted his teeth even as he fumbled for his weapons. Summer--!

    TAG: ALL

    Initiative Count:
    Summer: - 21
    Monsters - 19
    Malaeus: - 18
    Zaid: - 17
    Yuriko: - 13
    Eiros: – 12
    Darron: – 12
    Russell: - 8
    Ivaela: - 8


    Battle Statistics:

    Russell:
    HP: 72/72
    AC: 22
    Attacks: +9 Longsword, no ranged weapons
    Damage: 1d8+5 Longsword
    Spells per Day: (At Will/6/5/4) +1 from domain
    0th: Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Read Magic, Resistance
    1st: Bless, Detect Evil, Divine Favour, Protection from Evil x2, Shield of Faith x2
    2nd: Aid, Bull's Strength, Hold Person
    3rd: Mass Conviction, Dispel Magic, Magic Circle Against Evil, Magic Vestment, Mass Resist Energy.
    Saves: Fort 19, Ref 14, Will 20
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent

    Ivaela:
    HP: 91/91
    AC: 21
    Attacks: +11 longsword, +11 lance
    Damage: 1d8+5 longsword, 1d8+8 lance
    Spells: 3 per day. Bless Weapon, Golden Barding
    Saves: Fort 23, Ref 17, Will 17
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent

    Zaid:
    HP: 99/99
    AC: 23
    Attacks: +10/+5 Longsword
    Damage: 1d8+5 Longsword
    Maneuvers Known/Readied/Available: 7/5/3 (Ramza to specify choices)
    Saves: Fort 19, Ref 14, Will 18
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent

    Yuriko:
    HP: 72/72
    AC: 20
    Attacks: +9 dagger
    Damage: 1d4+2 dagger (also see Iaijutsu, maneuvers) /19-20x2 +3d6+6 sneak attack
    Saves: Fort 15, Ref 19, Will 12
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent

    Malaeus:
    HP: -2/31 (DYING!)
    AC: 16
    Attacks: Melee +3, Ranged +4 due to rain
    Damage: 1d4+1 melee, 1d6+1 ranged (Bowstaff)
    Spells: As per the spell list for Warmage 6, plus Combust, Chain Missile.
    Spell Attack roll: 1d20+3+Spell Level
    Spells: At will/5/6/2.
    Also note Arcanists' Gloves: 3/day uses.
    Saves: Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 16
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent

    Darron:
    HP: 60/66
    AC: 16
    Attacks: +3 Scimitar
    Damage: 1d8/19-20 x2
    Spells: Druid 6; 1d20+6
    Level 0: All
    Level 1: Aspect of the Wolf, Entangle, Obscuring Mist, Faerie Fire
    Level 2: Blinding Spittle, Barkskin, Snake's Swiftness (Mass), Animalistic Power, Luminous Armor
    Level 3: Protection from Energy, Greater Magic Fang, Bite of the Werewolf
    Saves: Fort 17, Ref 13, Will 21
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent

    Summer: 66/66, AC 14, +6 Bite attack, 1d6+2 bite damage
    Saves: Fort 15, Ref 16, Will 14
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent

    Eiros: 103/103, AC 23, +13 Horn attack, 1d8+9 piercing damage
    Saves: Fort 21, Ref 19, Will 17
    HORRID FORM!: -1 morale penalty to attacks from disgust of opponent


    OOC: Few notes:

    - Thanks to bloody work computers playing up, a map will be up later tonight.

    - We've had both the surprise round and we're into round 1. The creatures have just taken their second turn. I've also rolled a stabilisation roll for Malaeus per our house rules on death and dying, and he doesn't change. To review the rules on death and dying, here they are:

    Show Spoiler
    Show Spoiler

    Death and Dying:
    1) At 0 hp or less, you fall unconscious and are dying. Any damage dealt to a dying character is applied normally, and might kill him if it reduces his hit points far enough (see #2).
    2) Characters die when their negative hit point total reaches -10 or one-quarter of their full normal hit points, whichever is larger.
    3) If you’re dying at the end of your turn, roll 1d20. Lower than 10: You get worse. If you get this result three times before you are healed or stabilized (as per the Heal skill), you die. 10-19: No change. 20: You get better! You wake up with hit points equal to one-quarter your full normal hit points.
    4) If a character with negative hit points receives healing, he returns to 0 hp before any healing is applied. In other words, he’ll wake up again with hit points equal to the healing provided by the effect—a cure light wounds spell for 7 hp will bring any dying character back to 7 hp, no matter what his negative hit point total had reached.
    5) A dying character who’s been stabilized (via the Heal skill) doesn’t roll a d20 at the end of his turn unless he takes more damage.
    6) If you die and are returned to life via a Raise Dead spell, you suffer -1 to all attacks, skills, checks, defenses and saves, removable no less than 24 hours later by a spell of Restoration.
    Last edited by Saintheart, Nov 12, 2012
  3. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Jul 13, 2008
    star 7
    OOC: Stance is Tactics of the Wolf, readied maneuvers are Revitalizing Strike, White Raven Tactics, Tactical Strike, Shield Block, Leading the Attack. Of those, I start with 3 immediately available, chosen at random. At the end of round one, one of the remaining two is granted to me at random, and at the end of round two I have all five. Leaving that allotment up to you, Saint, and your randomization method of choice.

    Holding off on actions until I know those (natch) and have a map to work with.
  4. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Right, here's the map...

    [IMG]

    Very crude, I know. Future updates will be better. In case anyone's forgotten what each of their avatars looked like, we've got Russell at B4, Ivaela at C4, Yuriko at D4, Zaid at D5, Malaeus (prone, unconscious) at E5, Summer at F4, Darron at F3, Eiros at E1-F2.

    As to Zaid's available maneuvers, we'll leave it to chance. Assigning each maneuver 1-5, we get 1 - Revitalizing Strike, 2 - White Raven Tactics, 3 - Tactical Strike, 4 - Shield Block, 5 - Leading the Attack. Three rolls of a 1d5; if we get the same number twice I'll reroll until we have three unique maneuvers. We'll use the forum roller for once ...

    EDIT: So that's Leading the Attack, White Raven Tactics, and Revitalizing Strike available. Over to you guys!
    Saintheart threw 5-faced die for: Maneuvers available Total: 8
    Last edited by Saintheart, Nov 12, 2012
  5. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Sep 12, 2002
    star 6
    Argh, I wrote a post and everything and then I closed the tab and lost it. *shakes fist at Quick Reply* [face_frustrated]

    This is the short version:


    IC: Darron

    Darron had barely a chance to register the monsters' presence before the scene dissolved into screams of pain (Malaeus!), sprays of blood, and a wolf's enraged snarl -

    His companion's attack brought the young druid back to the moment. He gripped his pendant and reached within himself - and then a huge dire wolf appeared on the stairs beyond. It immediately set on the nearest monster.

    Tag: All
    Dropping Protection from Energy to cast Summon Nature's Ally III to get a dire wolf at E7. It attacks the thing at E6.
  6. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Jul 13, 2008
    star 7
    OOC: Goddammit, I wanted to make an IC post for this and nothing is flowing. Zaid is such a bitch to write, I swear to god...

    Okay then, whatever:

    Revitalizing Strike to try and hit E7, if successful Malaeus heals 3d6+6, at which point I will then use White Raven Tactics to allow him to move. If not, Zaid moves to E5 which I... think is allowed due to rules regarding prone allies, but I'm not 100%. If not, no move.

    Attack is made at a +11, damage at +5

    Edit: Attack: 28, Damage: 13, Heal Malaeus: 11
    Ramza threw 20-faced die for: Attack Total: 17
    Ramza threw 8-faced die for: Damage Total: 8
    Ramza threw 6-faced die for: Healing via Shouting Loudly Total: 5
    Last edited by Ramza, Nov 20, 2012
  7. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Keepin' it moving, E7 isn't actually a valid target, so I'll assume that's E6 instead. The strike's good, though it isn't enough damage to drop E6. Malaeus also gets healed 11 hitpoints, which brings him back to 11/31 and able to act right after Zaid, right before Yuriko moves. So that's a Tag to Mitth to take a full round of actions again, albeit he starts out prone; it takes a move action to stand up. As a reminder, E6 has taken 13 points of damage and F5 has taken 10.
  8. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Jul 13, 2008
    star 7
    OOC: Oh jeez, yeah, I meant E6. Completely misread that map. My bad.

    [IMG]
  9. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Oh, hold on, I forgot one thing--at 1d20+4 ...

    EDIT: Nope, it's all good, total of 8, which doesn't get past Zaid's Fort defences.
    Saintheart threw 20-faced die for: Zaid to be screwed by disgust Total: 4
    Last edited by Saintheart, Nov 20, 2012
  10. cassie5squared Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 8, 2010
    star 2
    IC: Russell Holston

    Caught in the doorway behind Ivaela as the loathsome creatures began to liberally decorate the place with blood, Russell paled a little. He couldn't risk barging past the young paladin - she was most certainly his superior in swordplay, and the last thing he wanted was to put her off enough for their attackers to get past her guard. He took a step back, giving her plenty of room to work, and one hand found his holy symbol as he whispered a hurried prayer.

    The sensation was fleeting, but almost tangible, to the cleric; a great hand sweeping over the party, sheltering them all for a brief moment, and then passing on... but leaving them with new reserves of courage that steadied their strikes, even in the face of this warped and foul enemy.

    TAG: All
    OOC: Moving to A4, casting Bless (it has a 50-foot radius, so easily reaches everyone in the party). +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws vs. fear effects.
  11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Malaeus Balle

    Somewhere below...

    There were reasons why his instructors always tried to impress onto their students why wizards should be cautious in life and with magic. He couldn't really remember the exact words that were used by his various instructors. In fact he really couldn't remember anything right now. All he knew was that in one moment he had been opening a door and the next the world exploded into white, blinding pain and then blackness...

    "Malaeus!"

    Startled, he dropped the precious scroll he had been holding when his name had been shouted across the chamber. The young apprentice looked down in horror as the scroll disintegrated at his feet and he swallowed thickly. If he hadn't been before from being in here, he was in trouble now, for certain. The scroll had been ancient and had contained the writings of a spell or some ritual in the destruction tree of the arcane arts. Now it was no more because he had been too careless with it and too fascinated by the more destructive nature of magic.

    "Master?" he looked up at the older wizard and then back down at his feet like a caught schoolboy. He tried to avoid looking at the tiny shreds of parchment slowly drifting away upon a draft common to stone buildings.

    The old wizard paced up to the boy and grabbed him by the arm, his nails digging through the cotton robes of the apprentice and hurting. He tried not to wince. "Look what you have done, boy! Are you so daft that you cannot heed my warning about touching the scrolls and tomes in this chamber? History and magic gone because of your carelessness!"

    "But..." he tried to defend himself. If his master hadn't startled him, he was certain that he would not have dropped the scroll. Surely the old man could see that he was partially at fault as he was?

    "I will not have your excuses," the wizard half-dragged, half-led the apprentice out of the chamber and into the stone hallway. "This is the last straw, Malaeus. I'm releasing you from my tutelage. Pray that the college headmaster can find you a more tolerant master or a path better suited for your reckless nature. Be gone with you!"

    The door to the chamber was slammed in the apprentice's face and he simply stood there in shock for what felt like ages. He had been dismissed all because of a scroll. He scowled at the door angrily and at the man behind it before turning on his heel and pacing quickly down the hallway. A suit of armor soon had the misfortune of suffering his temper as several lights of arcane magic pelted it, causing it to topple over and crash into the ground.

    He would show the old man that he would be the greatest wizard Halruaa had ever known.

    First he had to get up...

    Had to get up...

    He groaned from the floor. There were sounds all around him. Shouting, growling, and something he couldn't quite put a descriptive word to. Then the smell of something foul, like the sea after a thousand fish had washed ashore dead, and the tinge of iron, Blood, assaulted his senses. Then the pain came back along with memory. Horrors. Something horrific had been on the other side of the door and slashed into him with several blades.

    Where was that damn desert dweller? He was suppose to take the hits, not me!

    Malaeus groaned and rolled onto his side as he slowly regained consciousness and wished he hadn't. It hurt everywhere. What the heck had struck him? He opened his eyes then and squinted up at Zaid and four things he couldn't recognize but was certain were things out of his nightmares. "Mystra help us," he said in fright and scrambled back to his feet, crawling away as he did so.

    He made sure he had the others between him and those things.

    TAG: ALL

    Moving to C3 if I can.
  12. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Mar 27, 2005
    star 6
    IC: Ivaela Teuthor and Eiros

    The first sight of the creatures had almost frozen her in place, caught by a strange, dizzy nausea and an utter certainty that here were things that should not exist. Oddly, this thought also proceeded to jar her out of that same shock.

    If they should not exist, then they ought to be removed from existence. She was a paladin of Sehanine Moonbow, and her duty was clear. And then, too, she could feel a touch of the divine in the air, wiping away the horror. She took one step, lance appearing in her hand with all the speed its crystal could grant it, and struck.

    Eiros, meanwhile, moved smoothly across the room to grant his aid to one who sorely seemed to need it, the wounded mage. His horn gleamed silver in the dimly-lit room as he drew upon the healing gifts that were fundamental to the very nature of a unicorn.

    TAG: Saint, all

    OOC: Since Yuriko has moved, Ivaela takes a step to D4, drawing her lance as a free action and activating Divine Might. Rolls by Lightwarden are as follows.
    First attack is on Fishman 2 at D6:
    Attack: 1d20+12= 24
    Damage: 1d8+13= 20
    Second attack is on Fishman 3 at F5:
    Attack: 1d20+7= 20
    Damage: 1d8+13= 16

    Eiros goes to C2-D1, and uses one of his spell-like abilities, Cure Light Wounds, on Malaeus.
    1d8+5= 12.
  13. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Before I update, just checking to see how (in order) Yuriko and Ivaela make out against the monsters' disgusting ichor. Yuriko gets the first roll, Ivaela gets the second and third (since she landed two hits).

    EDIT: All saves made.
    Saintheart threw 20-faced die for: Yuriko, Ivaela's saves Total: 32
    Last edited by Saintheart, Nov 25, 2012
  14. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    The Party
    Somewhere below the earth
    Three hours past dawn, Third of Marpenoth
    Year of Lightning Storms (1368 DR)

    Malaeus's staff clattered to the floor. Shadows sprang up against the walls, a grotesque chiaroscuro as the party fought for its lives. The stench of the creatures' ichor billowed through the room, mating in an unholy stink with the saltwater tang in the air. Men's grunts and curses filled the room to counterpoint the sudden, ululating cry that the creatures gave, echoing throughout the chamber.

    Zaid moved. No interrogation here, now; judgment was at hand, and his blade was cold and shining in the light of the witch's fallen staff. He took back the initiative with a wordless shout, the blade flicking out once to drink deep of the nearest beast's innards. Its odour billowed over him, but he clenched his teeth and pressed harder; he'd hit it hard as it staggered back, its reptilian quickness deserting it. Another of the monsters -- but the crusader from Anauroch blinked as the creature suddenly doubled over itself, a black gash appearing across its throat as though drawn there by some dissatisfied painter. Ichor gouted, and the creature fell. Invisible, Yuriko flicked her weapon clean of black blood, chambering for another target.

    Spellcasting, now; the clear, authoritarian tones of Russell Holston spinning in counterpoint to Darron's half-sung incantation. A breeze of strength seemed to flow through the room, the creatures' horrid manner somehow lifting. And Ivaela felt herself respond to it; she was spinning into battle, lance in her hands like a massive, broadbladed spear, whipping out in the two-handed manner she'd been taught. The monster in front of Zaid was caught by a hard, high strike that sent a loud crack through the room, and it dropped, neck turned at an unnatural angle; the third beast had a split-second to react before Ivaela's lance drove through it clean, the lance's point clacking hard as it hit the floor beyond. That creature, too, fell.

    The last of the beasts, the last of the fish-men, glanced around -- and then turned, even with the foul ichor still streaming from its neck wound, and ran, in that dreadful, liquid way, turning down the dark stairway it had come from, moving beyond the extent of Malaeus's dropped staff. Summer snapped at the creature but missed, and it was fleeing down the stairs, deeper into the dark.

    Malaeus managed to scrabble his way backwards, blood pouring from his wounds -- when a long, hard, white horn touched on him, and he felt the worst of those wounds begin to close. Eiros reared his head, still scanning for another attack.

    TAG: All

    Initiative Count:
    Summer: - 21
    Monsters - 19
    Zaid: - 17
    Malaeus: - 17
    Yuriko: - 13
    Eiros: – 12
    Darron: – 12
    (Darron's Direwolf - 12)
    Russell: - 8
    Ivaela: - 8


    Battle Statistics:

    Russell:
    HP: 72/72
    AC: 22
    Attacks: +11 Longsword, no ranged weapons
    Damage: 1d8+5 Longsword
    Spells per Day: (At Will/6/5/4) +1 from domain
    0th: Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Light, Read Magic, Resistance
    1st: Detect Evil, Divine Favour, Protection from Evil x2, Shield of Faith x2
    2nd: Aid, Bull's Strength, Hold Person
    3rd: Mass Conviction, Dispel Magic, Magic Circle Against Evil, Magic Vestment, Mass Resist Energy.
    Saves: Fort 19, Ref 14, Will 20
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)

    Ivaela:
    HP: 91/91
    AC: 21
    Attacks: +13 longsword, +13 lance
    Damage: 1d8+5 longsword, 1d8+8 lance
    Spells: 3 per day. Bless Weapon, Golden Barding
    Saves: Fort 23, Ref 17, Will 17
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)

    Zaid:
    HP: 99/99
    AC: 23
    Attacks: +12/+7 Longsword
    Damage: 1d8+5 Longsword
    Maneuvers Known/Readied/Available: 7/5/3 (Ramza to specify choices)
    Saves: Fort 19, Ref 14, Will 18
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)

    Yuriko:
    HP: 72/72
    AC: 20
    Attacks: +11 dagger
    Damage: 1d4+2 dagger (also see Iaijutsu, maneuvers) /19-20x2 +3d6+6 sneak attack
    Saves: Fort 15, Ref 19, Will 12
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)

    Malaeus:
    HP: 23/31 (Injured)
    AC: 16
    Attacks: Melee +5, Ranged +8
    Damage: 1d4+1 melee, 1d6+1 ranged (Bowstaff)
    Spells: As per the spell list for Warmage 6, plus Combust, Chain Missile.
    Spell Attack roll: 1d20+3+Spell Level
    Spells: At will/5/6/2.
    Also note Arcanists' Gloves: 3/day uses.
    Saves: Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 16
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)

    Darron:
    HP: 60/66
    AC: 16
    Attacks: +5 Scimitar
    Damage: 1d8/19-20 x2
    Spells: Druid 6; 1d20+6
    Level 0: All
    Level 1: Aspect of the Wolf, Entangle, Obscuring Mist, Faerie Fire
    Level 2: Blinding Spittle, Barkskin, Snake's Swiftness (Mass), Animalistic Power, Luminous Armor
    Level 3: Greater Magic Fang, Bite of the Werewolf
    Saves: Fort 17, Ref 13, Will 21
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)

    Summer: 66/66, AC 14, +8 Bite attack, 1d6+2 bite damage
    Saves: Fort 15, Ref 16, Will 14
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)

    Eiros: 103/103, AC 23, +15 Horn attack, 1d8+9 piercing damage
    Saves: Fort 21, Ref 19, Will 17
    TYR'S BLESSING: +1 morale bonus to attacks, +1 to saves vs. fear (6 minutes)
    Last edited by Saintheart, Nov 26, 2012
  15. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Jul 13, 2008
    star 7
    Zaid Nejem, Death's Hand
    I Zimbra

    One... two... three... It was remarkably easy to keep track of where your enemies were when they were horrific abominations. Had he not been swept up in the scent of battle and the pulse of judgement, Zaid might have offered a rare smile. But such as it was, his thoughts were focused with precision you or I might ascribe to a laser:

    Kill.

    Kill.

    Kill.

    Whether or not a thing that should not be could be delivered to the waiting scales of N'asr was irrelevant. There would come death. There must be judgement.

    So when the fourth... thing... sought to escape from this judgement, there was no question of how Zaid would react. Because no matter what awaited him down those stairs, far worse things would tax his very soul if he halted now.

    And so he did not so much run as bound after the beast. Down, down the staircase.

    The air whistling in his ears as he ran.

    TAG: All

    OOC: Pursuing the runner, probably to my maximum movement.
    Last edited by Ramza, Nov 26, 2012
  16. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Then it's time for an Acrobatics check, since those stairs are steep and you're running into darkness. Yours is 1d20+2.
  17. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Jul 13, 2008
    star 7
    OOC: Excellent, I've always wanted to have a character trip ignominiously. Lessee...

    Edit: 13. This'll be good.
    Ramza threw 20-faced die for: Acrobatics 1d20+2 Total: 11
    Last edited by Ramza, Nov 26, 2012
  18. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Roll is good. That means you're running down steep stairs, into total darkness. Run speed is x3 at maximum, so a maximum of 60 feet moved.
    45 feet down the stairs, you run smack-bang into what feels like a wooden wall.
    It feels like that, as opposed to you being able to see it, mostly because you're in total darkness.
    As is whatever's down there with you.

    EDIT: 6 points of damage from running facefirst into wood.
    Saintheart threw 6-faced die for: Damage hitting wall Total: 6
    Last edited by Saintheart, Nov 26, 2012
  19. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Jul 13, 2008
    star 7
    OOC: Straight into Steely Resolve with you, 6!
  20. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Malaeus Balle

    Somewhere Below...

    "Are they dead?" he said from behind the party near the stairwell when the sounds of fighting ended. He winced at the pain and leaned against the wall next to him. He wanted to go grab his staff before someone stepped on it and broke it, but he was wary to go anywhere near the dead horrors lest they jump back up and stab him again.

    He was glad to be alive but not happy about nearly dying. Of course if the others had shown the same amount of courage he had, he wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. What good is a paladin that sits back and does nothing? He pursed his lips when he noticed Zaid was missing from the group and there were only three dead horrors. There was no dead Zaid either so that meant he went after the last one. At least the desert dweller is useful. Almost.

    "I am not going after him," he declared. "Someone else can have their hide flayed for a change."

    TAG: ALL
  21. Saintheart Chosen One

    Member Since:
    Dec 16, 2000
    star 6
    OOC: Very quickly, Yuriko spends her actions running over, picking up Malaeus's staff, and tossing it down the stairwell like a spear. Her throw's good enough that the entirety of the stairs are lit, and Zaid now realises he's standing right next to one of those horrors, about to open a door (the other door being the one Zaid ran into.)
  22. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

    Administrator
    Member Since:
    Jul 13, 2008
    star 7
    Zaid Nejem, Death's Hand
    I Zimbra

    There was a door in Zaid's face. Minor inconvenience. To his side stood one of the creatures. Impact had slowed him slightly. Suboptimal. "Come on then, it's not yet escaped!" he shouted, silently cursing the apparent stroke of cowardice that had overtaken his companions at the top of the stairs.

    TAG: All
    Last edited by Ramza, Nov 29, 2012
  23. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Mar 27, 2005
    star 6
    IC: Ivaela Teuthor and Eiros

    Zaid called, and something in his tone increased the urgency of Ivaela's movements. Swinging smoothly into the saddle, she readied her lance and nudged the unicorn into action, their motion seeming perfectly choreographed by virtue of the bond between them.

    Paradoxically, their agility increased when she rode; Eiros was more sure-footed than his rider, and had the distinct advantage of always seeing where he was going, no matter how little light they might encounter.

    They surged down the stairs, bringing a swift promise of violence with them.

    TAG: All

    OOC: I waited for anybody ahead of me in initiative. Lacking posts, I'm going right ahead here.;)

    Eiros delays, Ivaela takes one 5-ft step, mounts as move action, and readies a lance strike for the moment of coming in range of the fishman. Eiros heads downstairs accordingly to trigger the readied action by getting into range. He also throws in an attack with his horn.
    Rolls made by LightWarden:
    Ivaela with lance:
    Attack: 1d20+13= 24
    Damage: 1d8+8= 9

    Eiros with horn:
    Attack: 1d20+15= 28
    Damage: 1d8+9=10
  24. cassie5squared Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Dec 8, 2010
    star 2
    IC: Russell Holston

    With the immediate threat felled, and both Ivaela and Zaid going after the last survivor, Russell felt he wasn't required to be rushing after them; it would only cause more of a crush in the stairwell. Instead, he crossed to Malaeus, who was the only one he knew had been injured, and touched his shoulder lightly. "Are you still hurt?" he asked, glancing down the stairwell.

    TAG: Mitth, all
    OOC: Like Rilwen, figured I'd get something out of the way.
  25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jul 1, 2000
    star 6
    Malaeus Balle

    Somewhere below...

    "Am I still hurt?" the warmage stared up at the cleric as if the man had said the most dumbest thing in the world. "Am I still hurt?! Of course I'm still bleedin' hurt you pompous, self-righteous... Do I look fine? Seriously! I'm covered in my own blood, my robes are ruined and my staff! Yuriko, if my staff is broken I swear to the Gods I will find a scroll of polymorph and turn you into a rat!"

    Perhaps it was the shock of being on Death's door that brought out his temper. Or maybe it had to do more with what Yuriko had just done with his bowstaff. Whichever it was, his yelling and harsh gestures caused him to wince involuntarily and deflate his temper.

    "Ow." Malaeus met the cleric's gaze. "Yes, I'm still hurt."


    TAG: @cassie5squared @Saintheart others


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.