1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive A Third Option?

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Texver, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texver Jedi Padawan

This is about how when you hold a light saber and use the force the first question that comes up is if you will become Jedi or Sith.

I have seen debates about the Sith being good and Jedi evil and it being about from witch side the story was told. The movies seemed to be focused around a Jedi(Ani) who goes to the dark side(Vader) and goes back to good by killing The Emperor. During the last episodes though it changed its focus from Vader to Luke so you don't get to see the Sith side of the story. Both the Jedi and Sith have likes and dislikes. In seeing this I believe a third option is in order.

Create a Group that has the defense and order of the Jedi with the emotion and power of the Sith.

First comes The name-
    Idea 1- Glip
    post your own or vote for others

Second comes the rules-
    Idea 1- No light sabers(They are the tool of the Jedi and Sith we will stand apart and master the force).

Third comes the chain of command-
    Idea 1- 3 masters(based of rock paper scissors). 1st teaches light side, 2nd teaches dark side, and 3rd teaches Balances and mastery of the force. each may have 4 students to teach.

St. Edit: Locked for redundancy. See thread below for discussion.
  2. DarthCemeroX Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you trying to basically rewrite star wars. Why do you need a third faction. I mean in a battle of Good and evil, there's no faction of " Kinda nice but not totally".

3. chanbill5390 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Um, there's always the Grey Jedi, or the Witches of Dathomir, they're basically neutral. They definitely fit that position.
  4. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    What's the point of this thread? It feels out of place.
  5. DarthCemeroX Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree with Nick, if anything the GDG could handle this..but he's suggesting all of the SW comunity accept a third faction, which chanbill pointed out already has been filled.
  6. Texver Jedi Padawan

Could you link me to something about The Grey Jedi?

I couldn't really find a place for this thread so I made do with what I could find.

I'm not trying to rewrite SW, but the story of SW is in an ever expanding universe. You think of something interesting toss it out there and hope that it sticks.
  7. KIRA-SHAY Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Texver Jedi Padawan

The Witches of Dathomir wouldn't really be called "grey".They have a dark side and when yoda gave them that information it was on the Jedi. I would say that The Witches of Dathomir are more of a primitive version of the Jedi.
  9. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Firstly: this discussion belongs in the Game Designer's Guild, not in its own thread. I'm putting folks on notice to move the conversation there, because I'll be locking this thread due to redundnacy 24 hours from now.

Secondly: this is not the first time this subject has come up.

Thirdly: this is the Role Playing Resource forum, where we discuss matters as relate to the Role Playing Forums' roleplaying games. We do not pretend to write canon for the rest of the Star Wars community. If that's what you're aiming to achieve, this is not the place to do it.

Fourthly: as far as creating a faction for a game is concerned, you need to look at your premise closely.

Create a Group that has the defense and order of the Jedi with the emotion and power of the Sith.

Let's see. You want your new group to have the defensive strength of the Jedi (to use Dungeons and Dragons terms, a whoppingly high AC) and the power of the Sith (using D&D terms, a whoppingly high attack roll). Basically what you're trying to create is a group which has all of the powers of the Jedi and the Sith but none of either side's weaknesses. That is not a popular concept either dramatically or in gaming terms, for the following reasons:

(1) Omnipotent or invulnerable factions aren't interesting to play. To take an analogy, whilst having the power and capabilities of the Q from Star Trek might sound interesting, why aren't there hundreds of roleplaying groups devoted to them? Or to take another example, why are low-powered Dungeons & Dragons campaigns popular and high-powered campaigns (character level 20+) so rare? The answer: if you can eliminate the universe with a wave of your hand, blow up your opponent's entire starfleet with a snap of your fingers, it quickly becomes boring -- there's no challenge in your existence at all.

(2) Omnipotent factions, when created, are generally not run in a way that represents how they'd behave in reality. This is generally because they are created by people who are either:

(a) so insecure about themselves they overcompensate by fantasising about fictional scenarios where they are all-powerful and nothing can hurt them; or
    (b) so drunk on the idea of Force lightning, Force storms, and killing every person they meet in lightsaber duels that they can't deal with the idea that they might actually be defeatable, and don't want to deal with the gentle requirement "By the way, you can't use these powers for evil."

(3) A faction that has Teh Answers to Life, the Universe, and Everything in the context of a game is something that has superficial appeal only. If your existence is perfect, if you are enlightened, if you have reached nirvana, then you are also deprived of that essential for any story or any game: conflict, whether towards someone else, towards yourself, towards the faction you belong to, or towards others. A faction which binds itself to rules for its existence is dramatically interesting because it has limits to what it can or can't do.

I might also add that you're creating a group with the "order" of the Jedi but the "emotion" of the Sith. Respectfully, that reveals a very superficial view of the Jedi and the Sith orders -- that you think the Jedi have no emotion, while the Sith have no order. And therefore you're creating a faction which eliminates both "deficiencies".

Both views are mistaken. The Jedi don't have emotion bred out of them -- they know how to control their emotions. There's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with a Jedi who's under that requirement. Similarly with the Sith: they do have considerable order and organisation -- certainly on a par with, if not more than, the Jedi if you consider the thousand years or so of Sith who kept their presence hidden from the Order and the galaxy at large. And a more careful reading of some of the EU books shows that emotion is in fact the enemy of the Sith, not its ally.

It probably shows from th
  10. Texver Jedi Padawan

1) please link me there

2) I said that I have seen debates about it and am trying to lay out a idea for all to understand.

3) It will not happen again.

4) I'm not saying lets make perfect people I'm saying that balanced out a grey team could be power IF mastered. this would mean being able to study the teachings of the Jedi and Sith then being able to balance it out witch I must say would be almost impossible Giving good reason to why you would be at such a high level. Most people I suppose would go crazy from sucks training. As for force storm and the killing of all would not happen unless they were Sith not grey. I'm not saying they would have the answers to the universe. I'm saying would try to Get as many as possible though the force in order for them to learn all they would need to be able to live for a LOOOOOOONNNGG amount of time. Even trying to finish reading recorded answers would end up killing you before you finished. As far as my statements about emotion and order I am simply saying that the Sith have more emotion because they express it and that the Jedi have more order because they practice in controlling themselves. You would act out of emotion and yet not get stirred up enough to be careless. It is as if your saying that I'm mixing black and white and getting clear. When what I'm trying to go is get grey instead. I find that grey is a very interesting color in this situation It requires that you understand and balance the Jedi and Sith this would take a large about of consecration and focus. Most couldn't do it but it sets up a challenge to those who wish to try to become neutral.
  11. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    You can find the Game Designers' Guild here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.