main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thought on the Russian government

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by darthtuttle, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Russia has much crime. This costs the government much money. AIDS is spreading badly. The government makes it practically impossible to adopt an orphan there. Most Russian orphans become part of the problem when they grow up. They also produce more orphans. Here's a question. Will making it easier to adopt a child in Russia help the country?

2. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Opening up adoption in Russia (or Vietnam, or other countries) is a change that has a number of profound effects. Besides that narrow issue, it also signals openness to the world, as well as a dedication to administering that program responsibly. Responsible administration of the defenseless, parentless youth is a good first step to reducing corruption elsewhere.

It should be noted that there is a lot of psychological baggage involved with allowing your nation's children to be adopted abroad, and that shouldn't be underestimated.

3. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    Adopting children won't help Russia. The government there needs to change in some way.

4. MaverickJill

MaverickJill Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2005
    I agree with Red_Runner. Opening up adoption there makes it more amenable to the radically changing world. Russia... eh, more research before I say any thing more.

5. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    So what is needed. Do they need to work on economic improvemnet. How about education improvement? I was told that the education there isn't as good. One advantage of adopting abroad is a better life for that child. The teen orphans I visited in Russia have basically very little hope unless someone does something. A visit from some Americans is not enough, even though it helps somewhat. Most of them learn a trade then live a poor adulthood. Most girls become prostitutes. No matter what your thoughts are on prostitution, there is no doubt that they will likely get AIDS. Should the government step in? Should private organizations help?

6. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    The Russians need to set up a system of orphanages to take kids off the streets. The children can be taught a trade, educated, and then released when they are ready.

7. Republic_Trooper

Republic_Trooper Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2005
    One of my wifes co-workers just finished the process of addopting a little girl from Kazakstan. You would not believe the red tape this poor woman had to go through. Before she went over there for the final court hearings, she was given a list of "gifts"(bribes) that would be expected from the judge and various government officials! They are running a real racket over there. But it's worth it to get a child out of that hellhole. All-in-all though, it was probably easier there than in Russia if it's as hard as you say it is there. Even if they do make addoptions easier, it's just one more area for corruption to take root. I wish they would though, for the kids sake.

8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Any chance you could change the title of your thread to be a little more focused.

Peace,

V-03

9. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Did making adoption easier in Romania help that country significantly?

IIRC Romanian orphanages were not pleasant places and did nothing to promote Romania's interests either economically or politically.

10. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Russian government? That's using the term government loosely. The Russian Mob seems to be in control over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.