main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thought on the true purpose of the DSII

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan_and_only, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_and_only

Obi-Wan_and_only Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2001
    I was just thinking about the reason that Palpatine ordered the DSII, aside from the fact that he wanted a Ball-o-Death that could vaporize planets at will.

Both he and Vader knew that eventually one of them would be destoryed. Either Luke would destroy Vader, and take his place, or the Emperor would be destroyed and Vader would take his place.

Palpatine foresaw this, and ordered the construction of the DSII as a contingency. Assuming that Vader somehow managed to overthrow the Emepror without killing him. Vader would have the majority of the Imperial Fleet at his disposal. Oh, what would Plapatine be left with?

The DSII. It would be impervious to conventional attack, and house enough troops that it could fight entire armies and fleet at will. In the event he lost power, he could use the DSII as a base of operations to lead the Loyalists in a counter-attack.

Just a thought.

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I think Palpatine should have been more worried about Tarkin on the DS1. All Tarkin had to do was wait till Vader and Palpatine were both on Coruscant then blow it up then destroy Byss to kill all of Palpatine's clones. Say hello to Emperor Tarkin.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Very interesting. Yes, that could indeed be a purpose for the second death star. Heck, even the first one. It would keep the Emperor safe, but I'm sure that the combined might of the Imperial fleet could probably take it out, but not after sustaining horrendous casulties.

That would certainly be a way to retain his power one way or the other.

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Hmmm. That's an interesting thought, and I agree Vader would have an advantage if he split with Palpy because most of the military would be on his side. (I've been working on a fanfic with precisely that plot for at least a year now. ;) )

I wonder if the DSII would be more under Palpy's control than anything else, though. There may have been a moff in charge in the station, but it was still being operated by military officers.

5. Compactor_3263827

Compactor_3263827 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2003
    I guess since Palpatine would need officers and the like aboard the DSII in such an event, he'd have to make sure they were Loyalists, so they wouldn't try anything funny.

But I'm pretty sure the entire Imperial fleet would be able to take it out...eventually. If they have a few more of those SSDs...almost certainly.

...but where would the Rebels be during all of this? I'm assuming that Palpatine wouldn't have COMPLETELY destroyed them, being preoccupied with Vader's defiance and all that..

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think the Rebels would chill for a while, let the Imperials fight it out among themselves, then start attacking again when a victor emerged and found he had greatly diminished resources at his disposal.

7. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Good thought. I don't think the Imperial fleet was big enough to destroy the DSII... unless they sent their fighters in like the Rebels did.

8. Obi-Wan_and_only

Obi-Wan_and_only Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2001
    Keep in mind, the entire Imeprial Fleet can't fight the DSII all at once. They still need to keep order. And the alst thing you want to do is leave your entire Galaxy unprotected for soem greasy crimelords to take over.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    guess since Palpatine would need officers and the like aboard the DSII in such an event, he'd have to make sure they were Loyalists, so they wouldn't try anything funny.

It was stated in the ROTJ novel that Jerjerrod was hand picked because he was not only loyal, but was not someone who would get out of line. In other words, he was spineless and easy to control.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I had never thought of the Death Star as being a way to circumvent a coup, but this is definitely an interesting idea. Kudos!

11. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Yea, this is a smart idea of the Emporer.

12. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I think Palpy would've had a contingency plan if someone decided to stage a takeover of DSII. A security locout, an override that would purge the stations' atmosphere, poison gas. That's too dangerous a weapon not to have a counterinsurgency system built in, half-built or not.

And as to the amount of damage the Imperial fleet could do: Let us not forget the 'small' amount of damage that occured when the Executor crashed. Even if a sizable postion of the fleet were to attck, they'd have to literally wipe themselves out to do any serious damage to DSII. It would be a Phyrric(sp?) victor if there ever was one.

13. starwarsismyally

starwarsismyally Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2003
    well maybe the engineers on Darth Vader's side if this ever happened could build their own death star in somewhere secret i mean they have to know how to build it just a thought

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.