main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    The news about Battlefront hasnt been very encouraging for PT/TCW fans, but it's amazing how a little detail, a small nod of recognition can raise my spirits. Imperial Shock Troopers:[​IMG]
    This kind of relatively superficial thing occasionally sprinkled into new SW content is really all I need

2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The Rebels also used the same kind of shield the Gungans use in TPM.

So far I think things have been alright.

• I haven't read any of the new Marvel comics, but I've heard lots of good things.
    • For books, Dark Disciple and the Shakespeare PT are coming out.
    • Sadly nothing from Battlefront, but there's Disney Infinity and a mobile game coming out with PT in it.
    • Also there are some parellels between the PT and TFA in the second trailer.
    However, I have two concerns, one is Chuck Wendig. He's writing the upcoming post ROTJ novels and he's clearly not a fan of the PT. Secondly, part of the reason the PT characters are in Disney Infinity is b/c that's what the kids have grown up with. Well, yeah, but I don't think that should be the only reason. It should be because they're a part of the Star Wars Saga.

3. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Imperial Shock Troopers have been a Battlefront staple for a while though. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_shock_trooper

Granted, the red design is most likely Episode III: Revenge of the Sith/The Clone Wars continuity influence. But I think that's all it is. Continuity. They use the same sound effects for the blasters hitting the shield as they did in Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Doesn't necessarily mean they welcome the PT.

It still bothers me with this game, because there's only two ways for it to play out.

1) The PT is shunned from the game. Most likely to boost sales due to the negative vibe from the films. This in turn makes little sense, as this also ignores The Clone Wars era, which was received well among most fans. Also shuns a generation. The past 16 years have grown a new audience who like the PT, and now a new game that is supposed to take all elements from Star Wars for massive battles is ignoring them.

2) The same thing happens, but they sell a PT themed DLC pack... which is just money grabbing at that point. I guarantee a Space Battle DLC will be released near the end of the DLC cycle.

4. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    The new films do frighten me a bit for Star Wars. Well, Episode VII at least, as that's the only film we've seen footage from. Just basing off the teasers, it just doesn't look like Star Wars to me. Oh lord, I sound like the people carbon frozen in 1980. Anyway, I'm talking more from a cinematography stand point, not a "That droid looks stupid!" like others have said using a similar assertion. *cough* Jar Jar Binks *cough cough*

It both has to do with camera angles, and the way the film was recorded. For the camera angles, it has to due with how they show the ships flying. In George's movies, The Clone Wars, and Rebels, it's usually done with a static camera that pans in the direction that the ship is headed. This does not always happen (The opening shot of ROTS and the Falcon going into Death Star II as being two prime examples), but it is in the minority.

At 1:00 you see the Falcon fly off with the camera following behind it as it barrel rolls and does spins. Does it look bad? Not at all. But it doesn't look like a Star Wars camera angle to me. I guess you could say it's because of the director (which it is), but I don't think of that being an excuse, as The Clone Wars and Rebels seemed to have followed this pattern flawlessly.

For how the film looks, it has to do with what it's shot on. In the OT, it was shot on a certain type of film (forget which type, my memory escapes me) that made every frame look almost like a painting. This benefited with the mask paintings the Ralph Mcquarrie made, and made the real life sets and backgrounds go together almost seamlessly. It also gave the OT a used look to it, which was appropriate for it's setting. In the PT era, the majority of the movies were shot digitally or were completely CGI (The Clone Wars), which gave it a nice sleek look to it. It made even the slums a Coruscant look polished compared to the OT, which again... appropriate for the time period and setting.

Now you are back in the used universe, but everything looks new. Everything is still sleek, as it was in the PT. But they are also using film to capture it, which gives it a somewhat used look because of film grain. It just doesn't look right.

Of course, time will tell. These are only trailers and I'm mainly talking out my ass based on small amounts of info. I hope it's good, for the franchises sake. Last thing we need is "OMG PHANTOM MENACE 2.0 YOU GUYS!". Here's to hoping J.J. doesn't squeeze another one out his butt, like he did with his last two films.

5. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    What are those? I haven't picked up on many, but I'd be interested to know if I've missed any :)

6. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

First Order Troopers
    [​IMG]

Clone Troopers:
    [​IMG]

Past Future Sith and Future Sith committing genocide:

Thank you for this, MarcJordan!

Also this shot,
    [​IMG]

It reminds me of the Battle of Coruscant where it shows the Clone troopers firing on the Separatists. I'd bring up a screencap but I can't find one.

7. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    Have no fear, for I have the movies digitally.[​IMG]

8. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Tackelberry Thank you!

Look familiar!

[​IMG]

9. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
  10. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It really is remarkable how much Daisy Ridley manages to have a "family resemblance" to the actresses who played her character's presumable relatives.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  11. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    Indeed. I would be surprised if she isn't in the Skywalker lineage.
    [​IMG]

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    She fits right in, that is definitely some great casting work.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Some picture's she doesn't look so much like Portman. Other picture's they look like twins almost.

14. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013

Oh, yeah, good ones. The shot I recently thought of is the one with
    BB8
    peeking over the corner like R2 does in RotS.

[​IMG]

Andy Wylde and MarcJordan like this.
  15. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Hmm...

Did J.J. Abrams followed George Lucas's Ring Theory after all? :)

Jedi Knight Fett and Andy Wylde like this.
  16. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I hope so. If it brings the 9 chapters into one big picture like GL said "larger picture is what’s really important."

MJ

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Something I have been finding very interesting from this new film. I see a lot of comments from people praising BB-8 and welcoming it with open arms. Now if BB-8 was thought of by Lucas and introduced in the PT all we would hear is hurr durr Lucas just made BB-8 to sell more toys hurr durr! But I suppose there will be no BB-8 merchandise come this holiday season? Yeah right!

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
  19. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    Man, I hope we get a BB-8 Robot. I don't care if it will cost $500 or something. It's cool.

20. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

What!?! Disney plans to make Galactic credits?! Those evil Sith Lords, how dare they!

In all seriousness, yep, that's probably true. Though I suspect people will eventually have those same complaints about Disney. My guess would be after Rogue One and just in time for Episode VIII.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Ah! I had done some reading about episode 7 on different forums and I got my daily dose of the usual moronic gibberish about JJ, practical effects and such. I usually see the "JJ know what make SW great duuuuuuh", "more practical effect duuuuh" and all that jazz. I find it funny that these same people that are running their mouths about how the new SW movies should use out dated effects when being made do so while typing on their iphone, ipad, laptop, tablet. While sitting in front of their 60" flat screen plasma TV and programming their GPS and downloading useless apps on their smart phone.

So you see, these people harping about using practical effects have no problem utilizing the newest up to date gadgets and gizmos, but when it comes to new SW films being made they need to take it back to the late 70's and early 80's. Quite ironic, quite ironic indeed:confused:

All I can say is this,

(sung just like the Spiderman theme song)

Irony, irony, ignorant fandom irony! [face_dancing]

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lucasfilm has to be play the game.

Jedi Knight Fett and Andy Wylde like this.
  23. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Wow. You guys made me realize of a bunch of PT shot references in the second trailer I hadn't even noticed.

I'm not really in an optimistic mood about the future of Star Wars, but maybe, just maybe, Episode VII will be a worthwhile sequel

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    why?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The recently announced Han Solo film for example

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.