main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I don't have an issue with it, though. Like, literally none. I actually like the alien. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be making an issue of here

I agree with thejeditraitor; this is dumb. I don't see why any of these minor squabbles over marketing strategies should be tied in with the fact that there are prominent black and female leads in the new trilogy. I think that's a good thing, and something that George Lucas himself would certainly have supported.

2. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I am just stating my concerns of what is going on with the marketing of this film. I really am not trying to go anywhere with this. All I stated in the post you quoted was stuff that is actually happening. That is good you don't have an issue with it. I do. I posted my issue in the post you quoted.

If you look at the other post within the one you quoted, that is another issue I have regarding this. Why would any company cater to fans that didn't like the PT and "try to get them back?" If they left the fandom in the first place, I say screw em. They should be the last people that need to be catered too. The way I see it anyway.

Prisic Duskleap and DuckHunt like this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "I don't have an issue with it, though. Like, literally none. I actually like the alien. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be making an issue of here."

i like it too. i was poking fun at then "practical effects" complaints.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Optimistic, excited original trilogy fans.
    Bitter, cynical prequel trilogy fans.

I honestly never thought I'd see this come to pass.

5. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    OT fans-whining since 1999. Or to be really technical whining since 1997.

PT fans-What PT fans? We are SAGA fans. And we don't sit idly by while the powers that be push some disgusting marketing campaign.

Who would have thought?

Prisic Duskleap and Valairy Scot like this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Fine: the previous whiners (more like people who had issues with films they had actually seen and the content within said films) have become the optimists, the non-whiners are now getting their jimmies rustled over imagined slights in a marketing campaign without having seen the film, and many have taken to preemptively trashing the film that's still five months away. That's down right hilarious.

This is a space-fantasy series, not a civil rights movement. Calm down.

7. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    word.

8. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    PymParticles well than what was the purpose of your comment? I only posted mine just to show how ridiculous your comment was. And again, the MARKETING is what is being called in question. I have no problems with the film, it hasn't come out yet! But the MARKETING of the film is out there for all to see.

So again, what exactly was the point of your comment? Besides just making a broad generalized statement?

9. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Andy Wylde Exactly right.

Fans have taken issue with the marketing so far and have expressed their feelings and worries about the future of Star Wars. I have not seen anyone hating on or trashing TFA in the PT forums. And just because someone criticizes those involved with the film doesn't mean they're not willing to give the film a chance.

That being said, there have been quite a few number of posts that don't exactly use the best language or wording when it to expressing doubts or concerns in this thread. I just ask for everyone here to treat others with respect, even the people behind the new film.

10. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I have no problem toning things down for myself. But that is the point when it comes to the films though. I know I have no issue whatsoever regarding the films. I even made multiple posts saying I can put my bias aside for the sake of the film. It seems some people just refuse to see that though. Oh well, I will just keep looking forward to the film.

But the marketing is all I take issue with and I think that I made that crystal clear multiple times.

11. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i tried but you're not being reasonable.

12. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Who are you to tell us to calm down? We have a right to complain about the crappy marketing and pandering to the whiny OT fanboys all we want. You don't like it well you don't have to come in this thread. Certainly no one is wishing for the film to fail I am actually hoping to be surprised come December 18th and hope to enjoy the film. With that said the marketing has disgusted me. The catering to the Lucas haters with all these mentions of PRACTICAL,PRACTICAL, PRACTICAL instead of the actually story and innovation bothers me.

The PT whiners should not be catered to it should be for the saga fans that love all 6 films. Instead Abrams and co are acting like it's a universal fact that the PT was hated and "trying to make up for it" and that is wrong. The PT was not as hated as so many like to believe.

Once again its the marketing that is the problem here. We will find out on Dec 18th what the finished product will be I hope it's good I love Star Wars I just can't help but have a bad feeling about this.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hah, hilarious but true. And I say that as a member of the latter.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't PT fans say that we must accept the 6 part story as is because it came from the guy who directed it?
    Now the director of TFA is going in a different direction and they complain?
    And we must accept everything SW or leave? Why? Like as much or as little as you want imo.
    If we don't care for something, why would we want that something to be in future stories. Seems common sense to me.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally I think I will judge the film on its own merits. I don't think JJ dislikes the PT I think he is just doing what he is told by Disney, and I have liked his Star Trek films so I think I should give him a chance.

That doesn't mean I have to like their marketing strategy though.

16. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Calm down ? Yeah after my "People versus J. J. Abrams" film, and about 10 years after all the sequel films are finished and George is back - even then I'll still be going on about the awful J.J period ! Ha ha. Obviously not - that would just be madness. They are just movies.

B.t.w my mention of the black and female leads was in no way disaproval obviously - just a way of comparing issues seen as 'toxic' to some.

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Trashing the ludicrous claims of the marketing not the movie.

Two different things.

I am waiting for the PT despisers to turn on TFA which let's face it is a very good bet.

So many haven't seemed to like a thing for 35 years now.

18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Who's "bashing" or "whining" about the film, or trashing it?

The issue for most is the marketing of the film, not the film itself. I don't understand how so many totally misread the posts which makes all that explicitly clear, then tell the Saga fans to essentially shut up and stop expressing their opinions because those opinions are unwelcome.

I understand the marketing. I don't like it (the marketing focus).

I have no opinion on the film as yet. I hope it's not as disjointed and frenetic as Into Darkness. I will find out what it is in a few months.

19. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    This will be fascinating. I think most saga fans will find something to like, though personally if it totally lacks the things I consider to be essential 'Lucasisms' I'll have to adapt, but I find it hard to read O.T only fans some of whom will actually be waiting on a satisfactory third film.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Hello SeventySeven...fellow "all six films" and George fan here...just curious, what would you identify as "essential Lucasisms"? I'm one of those fans who has been skeptical about a non-GL SW since the day I heard the news about the sale to Disney, but sometimes I have trouble putting my finger on just what my own list of "essential Lucasisms" would be...

Jedi Knight Fett and Andy Wylde like this.
  21. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    That's a good question and one I thought maybe somebody would ask.
    I'll start by saying as much as I adore these films I'm not always an 'escapist' fan. Although as a youngster I dreamt of being a Jedi maybe, and actually get a little teary during ROTS, I've always liked the technical aspects first. I wouldn't cosplay, own no E.U beyond games and just a handful of toys - but really think these films shadow most things in the genre. In no order ....

Firstly and mundanely is the dialogue. Me and my partner always find a line for every occasion - "you underestimate my power " or a "good job" never fails in domestic situations. It sounds corny, is difficult to pull off, but one or two views and it sticks and you WANT to impersonate it. Why is that ? I note Rebels has adopted the smart a$$ style of Joss Weedon, and it seams cooler at first, but soon tires and becomes a blur of wise cracks. The films wouldn't work with that style constantly.

Second would be vision - the walker battle, trench run, pod race, clone wars - even Anakin and Padme rolling in grass, he just imagines big, so films have lots if 'bits' in them due to -

Third - boldness. It doesn't always work but he will try anything, almost as if the next scene is a whole new movie - wipe that, move on, as a result of....

Four - a restless kinetic sense. Waste no time. Keep moving. Sure we feel there are slow bits but in reality, only in comparison to the scenes we can't wait for. The maul fight could only come from this sense of fizzing action - having the cinema literally light up and dazzle the senses.

Finally the almost opposite dynamic - a cool calculated sense of cinematography. Little scenes like the clones fighting in the dust from the downed federation ship, Lobots look that ends a scene in Empire, the setting suns, Anakin and Padme across the burning Coruscant, countless 'little gems' that serve as counterpoint to the big bangs.

Of course this all depends on a great team but nobody else seams to want to ensure that the ensembled creatives push themselves to the limit - music, costumes, sets, digital design - it's going to the wall even if everyone else thinks 'meh'.

I dunno - that's a start.

People hate the prequels but for me the beginning of ROTS I was 12 again - it was like an amazing futuristic closer on that opening shot of two ships in ANH, because George kept going - to keep making an even better space battle opening. Some people see a digital spew, but to me it's everything I love about Star Wars - it's nuts really.

22. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Interesting, SS. For me, one of the most essential "Lucasisms" would be the overall sense of naivete and and old-fashioned kind of "sincerity" I associate with the SW films. I wouldn't want to see a "wink-wink" style/tone of "slickness" or "irony" creep into the new films. (One of the reasons I dislike films like The Avengers, for example...since you mentioned Joss Whedon:p)

And yes, my hubby and I have also been known to quote SW dialogue in daily situations...from...time to time:p

23. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    Ha ha - yes - it's amazing how a simple "no - it is you who are mistaken ...about a great many things ..." can diffuse domestic stress !

Anyhow yes let's add sincerity, something he shares with Spielberg. Young Anakin was for real. Maybe many were not the right age, but it was meant to make you want to be a pod racer, or you were taken back to making carts, souping up bikes or cars - racing round the neighbourhood - whatever escape you had as a child. Maybe it was naive and that's a long forgotten world, but it was an essential part of Georges life. Tinkering in the garage 'til sundown and mom shouted you in. It's not cool though is it - but the move from the innocence of childhood to the problems of adulthood is central to his work. In fact he's shown it's possible to "mess with stuff" forever - he made it possible for people to play their whole lives.

24. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    One thing that occurred to me regarding the whole practical effects promotion and what not is it seems more like a brain washing experiment than a movie promotion. Because it seems if the promoters mention this enough times people that aren't to quick on the uptake will just watch the film and be more concerned about the effects than the story or characters in the film.

Because as we all know we live in a very media rich environment that when this film comes out there will no doubt be a media circus. So then there will be media people interviewing people that have seen the film and I am betting to see reactions such as,

Yeah the movie was awesome! The practical effects were fantastic!
    The actors in the storm trooper costumes were out of this world!
    Everything was so tangible and real!
    JJ brought the real SW back to the screen and gave the fans what they wanted!

These are just some things I know will get thrown out there in instances like I just mentioned. I do not believe they will ALL be like that, but a good majority will say these kinds of things. I have no doubt of this. But I will be paying close attention to all this when the time arrives just to see if my hunches are correct. I will not lie though, if the media interviews someone and they mention that the movie was awesome because they filmed in a desert, A REAL DESERT I will laugh hysterically and check myself in to the nearest mental health receiving facility because I will no for sure that this world is truly nvts!

25. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012

Yeah, I can honestly see things taking a three way split.

The OT ONLY! crowd, of whom, let's admit it- Star Wars ended in 1983, and they'll never be truly satisfied with any other incarnation.
    The ST supporters, who will undoubtedly prize it for it's "modern approach" of over representing every race & gender.Others will likely be swayed by it being the "shiny new thing" thus making it superior to the others.
    The PT defenders, who will be affronted by the obnoxious efforts to denigrate Lucas made by the OT & ST fans,should the film's overall reception be actually overwhelmingly positive.

So in a sense,there are no real winners. I guess apart from the small percentage of "Saga Fans" that will take the (hopefully) good with the bad.

lbr789 and Andy Wylde like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.