main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Eh, I think most Saga fans will like the movie (not necessarily love it) unless there's just too much this or too little that - and that goes for any fan, really. I have my preferences on what I'd like to see, but if the movie and characters are great, even if different than I wished, I'll love it.

I expect the more rabid element of OT only fans will either detest or adore it, depending on what the movie does or does not deliver.

A very few rabid PT/Saga fans might hate it, and possibly for the opposite reasons of the rabid OT only fans.

When push comes to shove, I think the majority of viewers will decide on the basis of the film(s), not their fan status.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why does there have to be a winner? That those that enjoy everything are somehow better than those that only enjoy 1 or 2 trilogies only? Why not let everyone pick whatever they want to follow from SW?
    Just as everyone is different in real life, everyone has different likes and interests in SW. Let everyone enjoy what they like.
    Everybody wins that way if there must be a winner.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I think we all are winners if we count ourselves Star Wars fans.

4. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I think the problem is we could all be "winners" if we could all enjoy the new film to some extent. Problem is- that'll never happen. (such is human nature) There will be extremists on both sides. (proclaiming the film to be a glorious return of Star Wars glory days or an utter abomination, unworthy of the name it bares.) It will be PT vs OT all over again. Only with another faction added to the mix.

I mean, personally, I've always just been honest in my opinions. (I'm sure most people are) The PT wasn't without it's flaws and I've said so.The OT can also be picked apart if needs be. My only problem with the ST seems that it's not going in a direction I envisioned. Now that's something I'll have to get over if I want any hope of enjoying the thing. But I'll give it every chance to win me over.

I have to admit, seeing the trailer on the big screen for the first time before "Ant Man" last week was quite a thrill. I can't really see anybody not being excited at the prospect of another film with the original cast.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed Valairy Scot.
    OT (OOT, 97,04,11)
    PT (Theatrical, DVD release, 11)
    And whatever changes the ST does to the PT and or OT
    ST (and whatever changes they do to this trilogy)
    EU ( anything from DOTJ to Legacy Vol 2.)
    TCW, Rebels,
    NEU (Darth Maul Son of Dathomir to everything released to the present and into the future.
    The reference guides, the toys,
    If you just like one character, actor/actress,alien, creature, planet, tech, group, alien species, etc so be it.
    If you like at least one thing in that list welcome to the fandom.
    And if there is something I forgot, so be it. Anything can strike someone's fancy.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  6. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Indeed. A good place to start would be not going into threads like this one and taking issue with every second opinion (even if some of them get a bit hyperbolic).

Ironic, they can moralize for others, but not themselves.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Seems to me you and others do the exact same thing Klingon and just because YOU don't think us 'moralisers' hold ourselves to standard, doesn't mean we in fact don't.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Everyone on both sides can learn something from that. Or at least make a constructive argument if you are going to take issue with an argument against something you like.

Thank god for the NJO series then. So I don't have to worry about whatever direction the ST goes in.
    And with the way Lucas went with the PT, I'm a bit more open-minded this time around.

9. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    The crucial difference - the absolutely black and white difference - is that I dont go and find where ppl are expressing opposing opinions to my own and unload there.

10. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    According to a recent article from the website makingstarwars.net The Force Awakens contains close to 30 shots which are entirely made of CGI, over 350 scenes. If we refer to the communication strategy of "old-school" from Lucasfilm, this is still too much CGI when compared to the theatrical version (or the OOT) of the original Star Wars from 1977 (A New Hope).

Here's the article (potential spoiler ahead!): http://makingstarwars.net/2015/07/how-many-shots-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens-are-cgi/

JULY 28, 2015
    HOW MANY SEQUENCES IN STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS ARE CGI?
    THIS ARTICLE INVOLVES SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS! DO NOT READ ON IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS!

I’m not a cheerleader or a detractor of CGI. I’m not a filmmaker, but in theory I prefer the best method for the shot. I’ve seen instances of successes and failures using both techniques in all six Star Wars films. Recently there has been a lot of annoyance at the way The Force Awakens is being sold to fans. These pitches stress the usage of the “real” and denounce the usage of computer based images to tell a story.
    There’s about 28 shots in Star Wars: The Force Awakens that are completely CGI. (That is out of about 357 scenes.) I say “about” because some scenes were shot twice, once on location in Abu Dhabi and once at Pinewood Studios. We keep hearing that there are so many practical effects in this new film. So what is CGI in the film? I can’t say for certain how much CGI will be used to hide puppeteers and things like that. There’s some of that as we’ve seen in behind the scenes videos that tip us off there. Things could have changed and these numbers might have shifted somewhat. But as of last Summer these numbers were pretty firm and I have my doubts they changed much at all.
    Ironically, the first shot in this “practical effects movie” is CGI. The lightsaber tumbling to the ground towards the savanna is entirely CGI. The second shot that is completely CGI is Kylo Ren’s ship heading for the Star Destroyer after failing to get the saber on Jakku. When the TIE fighters head for the Star Destroyers after the battle, that’s all CGI. In fact, most of the scenes in the film that are CGI are TIE fighters and Star Destroyers. (That’s when it isn’t the Falcon.) Spaceships and space shots.
    When the Falcon goes through the crashed Star Destroyers to lose the TIEs in pursuit, that IMAX sequence is entirely CGI. Later when the Falcon escapes and is caught by the giant freighter, that is also CGI, as are the ships destroyed during the array attack. The Sledgehammer that steamrolls the Star Destroyers are computer effects-driven shots too. The Falcon flying to meet Luke is… you guessed it, CGI.
    Get it? Most of the space shots are CGI sequences. The film does not really seem to have any CGI sequences involving the main heroes physically. Of course Maz and Snoke are CGI-based creatures and there is no delineation for that in the information I’ve been privy to. I believe this is because these characters might be somewhat practical on set and augmented with motion capture technology.
    Locations mostly rely on plate shots to create the look of the environment. Maz’s castle, the Resistance Bay and the Starkiller base are mostly created by the establishing exterior shots. There are about 23 of this style of shots in the film. There is a plate shot to establish Luke Skywalker’s Jedi Monastery as well. I assume these plate shots can be enhanced by CG elements. So ultimately they probably add to the CG count considerably but not necessarily.
    Just to reiterate, I’m not cheerleader of practical effects or CGI. I love Star Wars movies full of both techniques. I liked when Kathleen Kennedy was selling Star Wars: The Force Awakens as a film using all the “tricks in the bag.” That is what this movie utilizes. But overwhelmingly, the film is a film full of sets that are “practically” built, really there and do not exist only at ILM. At this point, we don’t know how “in your face” the CGI shots are. If they’re subtle the film might not seem like it has any CGI at all. But if they’re really awesome shots that are truly spectacular, such shots might be what audience remembers and therefore changing the way the film feels.

Jedi Knight Fett and Alienware like this.
  11. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Can somebody explain me the exact definition of the term "Saga fans"?
    Does that mean to be a fan of the Star Wars franchise as a whole, with the OT/PT/ST/TCW/Rebels/Old & New EU and the games? I'm a little bit confused right now.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    A saga fan is basically a fan of all SW. But in regards to what it is being used for mostly is regarding the films themselves. Meaning a fan of both the OT and PT. Because if you notice people tend to use terms like PT gusher or PT defender. When in reality a lot of people who love the PT love the OT as well. It just seems the PT gets bashed more often than the OT. So in a lot of ways it may seem like PT defending when those same people love the OT as well.

I consider myself a saga fan. I love the OT as much as the PT.

And for the record, if the OT was being bashed I would defend that as well.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Myself. More stories, the better.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Technically we're all Saga fans. It's simply some take issue with the fact many don't like everything or equally. Ultimately, though it doesn't matter what one does or doesn't like. :)

15. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Darkslayer likes this.
  16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Thanks for the answers.
    I am a fan of all Star Wars. So OT/PT/ST/TCW/Rebels/Old & New EU and the games for the way! :)

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If you hate the prequels, you dislike everything SW since 1983? Pretty sure there is a lot more material (that people can like) out there than just 3 movies that have come out since 1983.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  18. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    The reason for the line of demarcation between the films and the EU/to some extent TCW/Rebels, is because to 95% of people the films are the only canon they follow. Sure, some have read a book here,a comic there,saw an episode there to boot, but there's an overwhelming majority that either have no interest or just don't follow EU sources close enough. That's why it gets infuriating when we're talking about the movies and some people bring up "so-and-so did some-such in episode X and book Z". Chances are I haven't seen 'episode X' but once in 3 years and 'book Z' is no longer canon,so it all becomes an exorcise in futility at some point. The films are all that truly matter in the grand scheme of things.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well everything from the NEU (Sept 2014 onwards) is canon.
    When someone pulls up a random point, that just makes me want to experience whatever the heck that story is no matter what the source.
    More SW stories for me to experience.
    Why settle for 6 (9) movies when you could have hundreds of tv episodes, novels, games and comics as well?
    You don't have to accept the explanation but it is a possible explanation so why throw it out entirely?
    If OT only fans enjoy the other material out there and not the PT so be it.
    It takes all kind of fans to make a fandom.

20. Fj0823

Fj0823 Jedi Padawan

Jun 11, 2015
    I believe the reception of this movie will split the fanbase even more.

I just can't see people who claim their old VHS to be the real STAR WARS being satisfied with TFA (Specially with the spoilers I've read)

To put things in a similar context, it's like expecting MARVEL Golden Age comic fans to like the MCU. They Hate it. MUH MANDARIN, MUH ULTRON! MUH CHILDHOOD!
    It's all black and white for them, they will hate this movie.

People whi loved the OT, but didnt like th new one? This might be the movie for them. some will like it, others will be put off by the new style of the films, like Trek fans with the new movies

People who loved both parts of the story will probably love this equally, unless it´s Jupiter Ascending tier, which it does not look to be.

EU fans could go both ways, but ccomparison to some great works will be there

And PT only fans who hate the OT...they exist?....they'll probably hate this

darth ladnar and DuckHunt like this.
  21. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Another thing I been noticing is how when the PT was made people would go on about how Lucas shoe horned 3PO and R2 into the movies just to have them in it, merchandise opportunities, blah blah blah. You all know how that goes. I mean how dare Lucas put characters he created into a movie he was creating? :confused:

So now with the new films where are these complaints regarding Abrams? Like "Abrams is just shoe horning in 3PO and R2 to sell more toys or just to put them in the movies!" But Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, What do we get instead? "Oh look, 3PO has a red arm! Isn't that just so kewl?" Because Abrams obviously can do no wrong:rolleyes:

Just more of the double standards running rampant in the SW fandom. It was a problem with Lucas, and his own characters no less . And Abrams is just doing "everything right" This is what irks me about the fandom I am part of. Because if Lucas was doing this and not Abrams, the complaints would be pouring in as they were with the PT. But since he is not involved, Abrams aka "Golden child" is doing it is all good=P~

22. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Everytime I see people saying J.J. gets Star Wars , I disagree.
    But when they say he knows Star Wars better than good old uncle George , that's what's getting on my nerves and it's wrong .

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Just remember, JJ is the Second Coming and Savior of Star Wars and saviors can do no wrong. [/sarcasm]

What irritates the heck out of me: should any fan dare to criticize (a rumor, say) or express an opinion about their perception of the marketing, etc., those fans are swooped upon by some other fans and called bashers and thus to be ignored.

If we are not cheerleaders for JJ we "are the enemy."

Which is strange, because there's some choices GL made that I don't necessarily agree with. I'm not blind to the criticisms some level at the movies (be it OT, PT or Saga as a whole). Some are unwarranted, some are not. IMHO.

The odds of JJ getting it "all" right is low. I think the odds are quite high that he will make a darn entertaining Star Wars movie. Only the movie itself will tell me if it becomes as re-watchable as the others (i.e. I re-watch all Saga movies: I'm not sure I'd re-watch a free viewing of his second Trek - as entertaining as it was, it lacks the "must re-watch" factor).

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    For them it does mean that in the sense that to them "Star Wars" is very narrowly defined meaning ANH and TESB and possibly (though not certainly) ROTJ.

See Simon Pegg who can sort of stand ROTJ but would probably rather forget about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.