main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Like I said, it makes total sense in context of the story being told. Plagueis is fully aware of Maul's existence, but believes that Palpatine has raised Maul to simply be a dark side assassin (like Ventress or the inquisitors) not a full fledged apprentice.

2. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    But he *is* an apprentice. It doesn't matter if Plagueis thinks he is or not. The only ideal the Sith practice the same as the Jedi is patience (I think that's canon from somewhere but I can't find a source at the moment). The way they've kept their presence a secret from the Jedi over a thousand years is to follow this rule. So why would Palpatine break it? Especially while his plans are already in motion. It is ridiculous that Plagueis is alive during TPM. The way Palpatine tells Anakin the "tragedy" of Darth Plagueis insinuates that the events of that story happened YEARS ago. It's not hard to believe Palpatine is older than he looks. He learned everything his master taught him, including how to use the midichlorians to cheat death and extend one's life.

To support this theory, at Celebration Ian McDiarmind said that Lucas told him Palpatine was around 120 years old during Jedi. That means he's around 100 during the events of TPM. i.e. he killed Plagueis and learned how to extend his life YEARS ago, not just a few years prior.

3. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Luceno does a great thing by showing that, like all religions, not every Sith sees eye to eye, and not every Sith sees the teachings of Darth Bane, or even the nature of the dark side, the exact same way. Like I said, don't judge a single story element out of its proper context. That's what I did, and then when I read the book I realized that the story Luceno tells is a pretty great addition to the saga. The plot of TPM in particular is given a new richness with the added backstory.

If you want to talk more about it, feel free to PM. I don't want to be the guy who derails this thread with a massive tangent.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Thoughts on the new Vanity Fair article?

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    looks great.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well it was 13 years ago, according to the book. That's a pretty long time.

7. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Not for someone who is 100 years old. You'll find that many of the truths people cling to depend greatly upon our own point-of-view. :p

thejeditraitor likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i agree. time is relative.

9. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    The designs are very ILM, but the taste of George Lucas (in the particular design selections), which has defined the look for 1-6, seems to be largely replaced by Jim Henson homage and full on androgyny in the costume design department.

The idea of putting Jar Jar's bones in the desert just shows how unprepared JJ is for any sort of backlash, and how unaware he is that PT fandom even exists.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  10. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I liked the aliens.. they feel very odd and well.. alien. But there is a sort of Dune-esque androgyny about them. That's not really a bad thing, IMO tho. The odd "fanboy" thing that kind of bugs me is if that one guy is an ithorian... with a conventional mouth? That's a tad rebootish for my tastes if that's the case. Of course there's a ton of potentially legitimate explanations for such a thing, but I hope it's not an indication of a 'reimaged' interpretation of the pre-existing saga universe.

I also found the actress modeling for the CGI character to be a particularly interesting, in so much as the greatest "crimes" of the PT was to do just that.

Yes, it's difficult to express how well it blends into TPM or how it adds a rich depth to it. Ive read a lot of SW books, and DP is pretty unique in that it doesnt just tack itself onto a part of the saga, or sit as an independent story - it's roots merge deep into the depths of the saga in a masterful and fascinating way. It's a prologue to the saga. It will be remain a central part of my personal canon until something explicitly replaces it.. altho I truly hope nothing does.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Whaaaaaaaaat?! :eek:[face_phbbbbt]

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    99% certain its a joke and honestly how are you going to know its Jar Jar? It's just a pile of bones.

13. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    I liked it except Abrams' poor attempt at humor with his Jar-Jar "joke".

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

He is Darth Maul

Ventress was just ventress.

15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

16. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I just wrote about all the garbage I have been reading and hearing about these new films as far as production goes. I am really tired of hearing about the "JJ knows what made SW special hurr durr" crap! I already stated that what makes SW special is all based on individual perception and not the nonsense of people just repeating what has been done before. People seem to think that Disney and Lucasfilms are "distancing" themselves from the PT in sake of these new films. Well if anyone has been paying attention to Rebels, from Disney and Lucas Animation they would notice that the second season is basically riding on the wings of PT characters to help guide it to another season. So by that alone, Disney and Lucas Animation are sure not "distancing" themselves from the PT at all!

I hope more than anything that Darth Plagueis is the new enemy of this trilogy. I really do. That out to shut up these people that think they are "forgetting" the PT. I personally feel that these companies are really just trying to win over the 40 and over crowd that have self entitlement issues over SW and think that this new trilogy is being made just for them and it is "making up for the PT" Not a chance in hell. The marketing for this film is reeling these clowns in and they think this new trilogy will be catering to their needs. I laugh at these clowns!

But overall I think the movie will be good overall. At least I hope so. But if it becomes a nostalgia fest, I don't know how I will feel when all is said and done on that.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And they are releasing TCW arcs as well. Not fully animated or on tv for those that aren't books or comics but I don't see what people are complaining about. They released the PT digitally didn't they? Non-issue. Except for those that think movies and tv series' are the only way to go for SW.
    I hope Plagueis is the villain as well. Not for tying into the PT reasons but if it shuts them up, I won't complain. The PT isn't the Be All End All of SW. The OT or ST aren't the Be All End All of SW either. The 6 part Tragedy of Darth Vader is no more. The Saga is Disney's, JJ's, KK's now to do with what what they want. Not for the fans to control. Isn't that what the Saga fans tell the OT fans who dislike the PT and changes to the OT under Lucas' run?
    I'm confident that the ST will have something for everyone.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Andy Wylde like this.
  18. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I agree with. I just been seeing a lot of trash talk on a lot of other forums and such and it really gets under my skin sometimes. I enjoy all of SW. Not just one trilogy over another. I mean the creators of this new trilogy really need to be concerned with making a new trilogy for all, not just one group or the other. This new trilogy should appeal to all fans and usher in a new bunch of fans as well. Both young and old. I know I will enjoy this version. How much will I enjoy them? Remains to be seen at this point. But with Jar Jar jokes about seeing him dead and what not, that business needs to be put to bed. I understand not liking a character but when professionals are involved they need to be just that, professional!

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I hear you AW. I don't envy anyone who is in charge of this. Setting up the new Generation, giving the OT generation stuff to do, tying into the PT and making a new story. There will be new fans but of the old crowd, someone will be disappointed.

The Jar Jar bones thing, From what I understand, (if it were serious) that it would be a blink and you'll miss it thing. And, anyway, can you really tell if it were Jar Jar's bones or another Gungan's? No. You couldn't. I'd like to see him as a broken exile or something or just in the background as a random Gungan and left to the imagination if it is him or not.

20. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah no doubt. I was actually looking more into that Jar Jar joke and I think it was blown out of proportion. So I am not really going to get up in arms over that anymore.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    They didn't really have to do anything. George Lucas wrote them treatments on how the story is supposed to go. All they would have to do is follow that and apparently they chose to go in their own direction. So they get no sympathy from me.

It's not something someone who is making a Star Wars film and representing Lucasfilm should say.

EVER.

22. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    You are definitely right about that though.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think the Jar Jar joke was a big deal or anything, but I do think it was pretty tacky. But I also think a new Star Wars film every year is tacky, so I suppose it fits in well with what Disney has been doing thus far.

Big_Benn_Klingon and Andy Wylde like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A treatment isn't the final film right? Just a more along outline. Fair game for some changes. We don't even know if Lucas' version would have been that good either. If Lucas wanted his vision to be followed 100%, he should have done the movie himself. Give 10 people on these Forums the treatments and what are the odds that the final products would be 100% similar? Not likely imo.

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I wish Lucas had done them himself, but it seems he is just burnt out on all the hate. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.