main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Apostatis

Darth Apostatis Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2015
    i like how the books and comic combine the PT and the OT. that is a good example of word creation. but i am pretty sure that the movies will try to ignore the PT. everything points to that

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no it doesn't. not at all.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darth Apostatis

Oct 6, 2015
    i hope you are right but the promotion and all the talk about the movie makes me think otherwise

4. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Not to mention Ahsoka & Rex turning up in Rebels S2

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Filoni bringing his pet characters from his old show to his current show doesn't mean JJ will respect the PT. Heck Lucas told Filoni not to follow film continuity during TCW.

S2N2 and Darth Nerdling like this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Perhaps but Abrams is merely the director of one movie. He doesn't call the shots for all future SW content.

Apart from Maul (which was GL's call) how did TCW ignore film continuity? Elements that required assumption from the movies don't count.

8. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    Is there any word that all 6 films will be played in theaters in the build up to TFA???

Jedi-Gambino likes this.
  9. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    How Anakin and Obi-Wan fought Dooku, several times between episodes 2 and 3 despite 3 stating Anakin ' s power has grown since they last met in AOTC. Also ROTS is the first time Anakin and GG, meet face to face. The Jedi in TCW knowing the clones have mind control chips and were ordered by Dooku. Republic gunships flying in the vacuum of space despite being open air aircraft in the films.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    If Anakin encountered GG directly in TCW then that's bad continuity. The rest are "point of view" scenarios that require assumptions. For example Anakin didn't mention Geonosis, he just said his powers had double since they last met.

11. Slicer87

Mar 18, 2013
    In ROTS, Obi-Wan acts like he never fought GG before, and GG explains to Obi Wan that he has been trained in their Jedi arts by Dooku. Something Obi-Wan would have long encountered many times according to TCW.

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    things change. gl changes them. get over it.

13. Darth Apostatis

Oct 6, 2015
    big fan of jj and his work (except star trek) but he will not let people put PT references into his movie

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 9 mit Tapatalk

Slicer87 likes this.
  14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    What's a PT reference? Chewie, R2, 3PO & suited Vader all had their chronological debut in the PT. Even Luke & Leia for that matter. Then there's Anakin's lightsaber from RotS. Also I'd expect to see some prequel era aliens & the mention of planets from the PT. Who knows what else. What kind of references would you like?

Alpha Sloth and thejeditraitor like this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't. In fact, he said the exact opposite.

16. Darth Apostatis

Oct 6, 2015
    everything from the OT started in the PT if you want to see it that way. but i am sure that anakin's lightsaber will be only called Darth Vader's. that is how you ignore the PT and still call it part VII. i will not be suprised if they do not mention any planets from PT, they will just invent new ones like they already did.

Sent with Jedi Nexus 9

17. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    There aren't even any planets from the OT from what we've seen. And Anakin was first mentioned in the OT, so they will refer to him however the story requires.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The gunships flying in the vacuum was already retconned in the original Clone Wars miniseries, as seen here at around 5 minutes:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This might cause some controversy, but I honestly feel like worries about Lucasfilm somehow ignoring or invalidating the Prequel Trilogy and Prequel Era and their place in the franchise's Canon going forward are a deflection of what people's actual concerns about The Force Awakens (and of the Star Wars franchise as it now exists more broadly) ought to be, which can summed up in one phrase: J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan are not George Lucas, and their viewpoints and opinions on what Star Wars is and means as a franchise are consequently dramatically different than his are and were.

Yes, Kathleen Kennedy is there to act as a 'spiritual proxy' for Lucas, but she does not have the same degree of absolute hands-on control that he would have exercised and can therefore only do so much when it comes to tempering and mitigating the amount of influence that Abrams and Kasdan and their viewpoints on what the Star Wars franchise is and means have had on The Force Awakens and the way in which that film is being approached from a marketing and merchandising standpoint, particularly as far as 'public perception' is concerned.

20. Darth Apostatis

Oct 6, 2015
    it is not just about jj and kasdan not being Lucas, it is about them and everybody talking only about the OT and practical effects. i don't have to really go into detail. jj is without any doubt only an OT fan.

and Kennedy is either doing nothing because she approves that IR she does not care. i do not think that she does not care. probably she thinks that a New trilogy that ignores the PT will earn more.

Sent with Jedi Nexus 9

21. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

In terms of the larger Star Wars franchise, the perception that the Prequel Trilogy is being ignored - especially by Kathleen Kennedy - is, I feel, an enormous fallacy that ought not to be perpetuated by anyone who recognizes the worth of that trilogy and the Era in which it takes place (which, in all honesty, is MOST of the fandom, even if it seems otherwise).

Even with Kathleen Kennedy being recognized as the President of Lucasfilm and serving as a sort of 'spiritual proxy' for George, there is honestly only so much she can do - given the realities of the corporate structure and environment in which she is operating as the company's chief executive (which is vastly different from the corporate structure and environment in which George himself operated) in terms of being able to live up to and perpetuate the legacy he left behind - and she clearly doesn't have the same amount of overall creative control that Lucas' stature and status as the President of the company afforded him.

Abrams and Kasdan having a very different viewpoint on and opinion of the Star Wars franchise and what it means is the kind of observation that encompasses Abrams himself being an "OT-only fan" and approaching The Force Awakens through that lens, but one also gets the clear sense from reading through what we've received as far as rumored plotlines for the film that he and Kasdan also don't understand the broader mythological underpinnings of the Saga in the same way that George did and, in the absence of that same level of understanding, tried to create a surface mirror of A New Hope in the way that they approached TFA, which is something that Kathleen Kennedy, for all that she serves as a 'spiritual proxy' for George, really would not have been able to have had exerted any control over, even if she had felt she needed to.

In the end, though, TFA isn't going to succeed or fail based on the ways in which it does or does not harken back to the Prequel Trilogy; it's going to succeed or fail based on how audiences (both within the fandom and in general) respond to its storyline and the overall approach that Abrams and Kasdan took with it (which, as noted, is vastly different from the way in which Lucas himself approached the previous six films), which is why I stand by the statement that worrying about the Prequel Trilogy and Prequel Era and their place in the broader Star Wars franchise strikes me as being a deflection from what ultimately ought to cause the majority of the Star Wars fandom to be cautiously optimistic about TFA and the overall broader direction for the franchise going forward.

22. Darth Apostatis

Oct 6, 2015
    i do not know the structure of Lucasfilm and i do not know what Kennedy can and cannot do, so i will not comment on that. i will wait till i see TFA.

but the problem is exactly that, jj and kasdan do not unterstand the depth of the mythology as presented in all six movies and they will probably just mirror Episode IV. so, when i say they will ignore the PT i mean they will fail to stay true to the quality that i see in the movies.

i do not get your last paragraph, my english is probably too bad, but i do not see the reason for being optimistic althought without any doubt the movie will not be bad. jj is too good to fail. it probably will not be as good as it could be. but that is only an opinion without seeing the movie.

Sent with Jedi Nexus 9

23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I believe he was taking about DISNEY ignoring the PT through their marketing of TFA. Also, Rebels is made by Dave Filoni (and he's bringing HIS characters into the show) and pretty much has nothing do with the TFA film making process.

24. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    No that I've seen..[face_sigh]

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    To us Anakin was "first mentioned" in the OT. To kids of today having watched the Saga in order, & for future generations Anakin, Obi-Wan, the droids, Chewie, the Emperor, Vader etc will be PT characters before they even get up to watching the OT. Hopefully as the generations roll on this puerile segregation of fans into PT & OT camps will diminish & it'll be seen as one 9 episode Saga. Without all of the baggage that many of us carry these new fans will recognise all kinds of characters & themes from the first 3 episodes present in TFA & beyond.

Darkslayer and thejeditraitor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.