main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thread for Ted Kennedy

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Darth-Seldon, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Address to the Democratic National Convention
    by Senator Edward M. Kennedy
    New York City
    August 12, 1980

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much, Barbara Mikulski, for your very eloquent, your eloquent introduction. Distinguished legislator, great spokeswoman for economic democracy and social justice in this country, I thank you for your eloquent introduction.

Well, things worked out a little different from the way I thought, but let me tell you, I still love New York.

My fellow Democrats and my fellow Americans, I have come here tonight not to argue as a candidate but to affirm a cause. I'm asking you--I am asking you to renew the commitment of the Democratic Party to economic justice.

I am asking you to renew our commitment to a fair and lasting prosperity that can put America back to work.

This is the cause that brought me into the campaign and that sustained me for nine months across 100,000 miles in 40 different states. We had our losses, but the pain of our defeats is far, far less than the pain of the people that I have met.

We have learned that it is important to take issues seriously, but never to take ourselves too seriously.

The serious issue before us tonight is the cause for which the Democratic Party has stood in its finest hours, the cause that keeps our Party young and makes it, in the second century of its age, the largest political party in this republic and the longest lasting political party on this planet.

Our cause has been, since the days of Thomas Jefferson, the cause of the common man and the common woman.

Our commitment has been, since the days of Andrew Jackson, to all those he called "the humble members of society--the farmers, mechanics, and laborers." On this foundation we have defined our values, refined our policies and refreshed our faith.

Now I take the unusual step of carrying the cause and the commitment of my campaign personally to our national convention. I speak out of a deep sense of urgency about the anguish and anxiety I have seen across America.

I speak out of a deep belief in the ideals of the Democratic Party, and in the potential of that Party and of a President to make a difference. And I speak out of a deep trust in our capacity to proceed with boldness and a common vision that will feel and heal the suffering of our time and the divisions of our Party.

The economic plank of this platform on its face concerns only material things, but it is also a moral issue that I raise tonight. It has taken many forms over many years. In this campaign and in this country that we seek to lead, the challenge in 1980 is to give our voice and our vote for these fundamental democratic principles.

Let us pledge that we will never misuse unemployment, high interest rates, and human misery as false weapons against inflation.

Let us pledge that employment will be the first priority of our economic policy.

Let us pledge that there will be security for all those who are now at work, and let us pledge that there will be jobs for all who are out of work; and we will not compromise on the issue of jobs.

These are not simplistic pledges. Simply put, they are the heart of our tradition, and they have been the soul of our Party across the generations. It is the glory and the greatness of our tradition to speak for those who have no voice, to remember those who are forgotten, to respond to the frustrations and fulfill the aspirations of all Americans seeking a better life in a better land.

We dare not forsake that tradition. We cannot let the great purposes of the Democratic Party become the bygone passages of history.

We must not permit the Republicans to seize and run on the slogans of prosperity. We heard the orators at their convention all trying to talk like Democrats. They proved that even Republican nominees can quote Franklin Roosevelt to their own purpose.

The Grand Old Party thinks it has found a great new trick, but 40 years ago

2. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    This is going to be taken way off topic so I thought I would be the one to do it.

Who do you think will become the new Senate Minority Leader?
    Kerry?
    Clinton?
    Kennedy?

I don't think they would give it to Clinton or Kennedy.

[image=http://www.democrats.senate.gov/images/img_box_senator_daschle_speech.gif]

I'm not really sure who the Democrats would put up.

3. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Some Reagan Quotes

"We're not building missiles to fight a war.
    We're building missiles to preserve the peace." Ronald Reagan

"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do." Reagan '81

"A tree is a tree. How many more do you have to look at?"
    Reagan '66, opposing expansion of Redwood National Park

"I have flown twice over Mt St Helens out on our west coast. I'm not a scientist and I don't know the figures, but I have a suspicion that that one little mountain has probably released more sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere of the world than has been released in the last ten years of automobile driving or things of that kind that people are so concerned about." Reagan '80. Actually, Mount St. Helens, at its peak activity, emitted about 2,000 tons of sulphur dioxide per day, compared with 81,000 tons per day by cars.

"Facts are stupid things." '88 (slight misquote of John Adams, 'Facts are stubborn things.')

"We think there is a parallel between federal involvement in education and the decline in profit over recent years." '83

"Fascism was really the basis for the New Deal." '76

4. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Some George W. Bush Quotes

Secondly, the tactics of our?as you know, we don't have relationships with Iran. I mean, that's?ever since the late '70s, we have no contacts with them, and we've totally sanctioned them. In other words, there's no sanctions?you can't?we're out of sanctions."?Annandale, Va., Aug. 9, 2004

"Tribal sovereignty means that, it's sovereign. You're a?you've been given sovereignty, and you're viewed as a sovereign entity. And, therefore, the relationship between the federal government and tribes is one between sovereign entities."?Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."?Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 (Thanks to Alicia Butler.)

"I mean, if you've ever been a governor of a state, you understand the vast potential of broadband technology, you understand how hard it is to make sure that physics, for example, is taught in every classroom in the state. It's difficult to do. It's, like, cost-prohibitive."?Washington, D.C., June 24, 2004 (Thanks to Michael Shively.)

The June 17th quote going around about Bush saying feces instead of fetus is false.

"I believe if you want to be negative you always can, no matter how hard you try."?Internationally televised News Event, June 15, 2004

"Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me."?May 27, 2004

"I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein."?May 25, 2004

"In the last 32 months, history has placed great demands on our country, and events have come quickly." ?Carlisle, Virginia, May 24, 2004

"Well, I think we need to work with governments and institutions and NGOs to encourage the institutions of a free society," Bush said. "See, one of the interesting things in the Oval Office?I love to bring people into the Oval Office?right around the corner from here, and say, this is where I [have an] office, but I want you to know the office is always bigger than the person." ?The Washington Post, "Rocking the Vote in the Middle East," Feb. 20, 2004

"More Muslims have died at the hands of killers than?I say more Muslims?a lot of Muslims have died?I don't know the exact count?at Istanbul. Look at these different places around the world where there's been tremendous death and destruction because killers kill."?Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2004

"In an economic recession, I'd rather that in order to get out of this recession, that the people be spending their money, not the government trying to figure out how to spend the people's money."?Tampa, Fla., Feb. 16, 2004

"King Abdullah of Jordan, the King of Morocco, I mean, there's a series of places?Qatar, Oman?I mean, places that are developing?Bahrain?they're all developing the habits of free societies."?Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2004

"But the true strength of America is found in the hearts and souls of people like Travis, people who are willing to love their neighbor, just like they would like to love themselves."?Springfield, Mo., Feb. 9, 2004

"My views are one that speaks to freedom."?Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2004

"I love to bring people into the oval office...and say, this is where I office."?Jan. 29, 2004

"In my judgment, when the United States says there will be serious consequences, and if there isn't serious consequences, it creates adverse consequences."

"There is no such thing necessarily in a dictatorial regime of iron-clad absolutely solid evidence. The evidence I had was the best possible evidence that he had a weapon."

"The recession started upon my arrival. It could have been?some say February, some say March, some speculate maybe earlier it started?but nevertheless, it happened as we showed up here. The attacks on our country affected our economy. Corporate scandals affected the confidence of people and therefore affected the economy. My decision on Iraq, this kind of march to war, affected the economy."?Meet the Press, Feb. 8, 2004

"I was a prisoner too,

5. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    George H. W. Bush
    Quotes

"Read my lips, no new taxes."
    "I can't think of any existing law that's in force that wasn't before."

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them."

"Boy, they were big on crematoriums, weren't they?"
    George Bush, (Comment made on tour of Auschwitz)

"I will never apologize for the United States of America - I don't care what the facts are."
    George Bush, Newsweek, (Commenting on the shooting down of an Iranian airliner by the U.S. warship Vincennes, killing 290 passengers.), August 15, 1989

"I?m not what you call your basic intellectual."

6. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Other Quotes

"If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."
    Calvin Coolidge, US President

"I don't know much about Americanism, but it's a damn good
    word with which to carry an election."
    Warren G. Harding, US President

"I guess if Ari had to rebel, being a Republican is better
    than being on drugs, but not by much."
    - - Alan Fleischer
    (father of White House press secretary Ari Fleischer)

"The attention span of the American people is
    'Which movie is coming out next week?' "
    Republican Sen. Alan Simpson

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran
    for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if
    the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't
    have had all these problems over all these years, either,"
    Trent Lott

These are not bad people. All they are concerned about is to
    see that their sweet little girls are not required to sit in
    school alongside some big overgrown Negroes.
    President Eisenhower

"Racial discrimination does not always violate
    public policy."
    Trent Lott

"I've always believed Sen. Lott's comments were
    meant to flatter Sen. Thurmond at his 100th
    birthday party and were in no way intended to
    embrace repudiated policies that once divided
    our nation."
    GOP Sentor Lindsey Graham
    (Republican that took Thurman's place)

"**** the jews. They don't vote for us anyway."
    --James Baker to George Bush Sr in 1992, according to
    William Safire in the New York Time.
    Note Baker was Sec of State under Bush I and
    Campaign Manager for Bush II and
    GOP Sen from Tenn

"Blessed are the young for they shall inherit
    the national debt."
    Herbert Hoover, US President

"God, was she a good player. I was so fascinated in
    watching her bid and play that I could hardly
    concentrate on her breasts."
    --Senator Bob Packwood (R-OR),
    commenting on his bridge opponent in his diaries,
    as printed in the Washington Post

"When you see a blonde with great **** and a great ass,
    you say to yourself, 'Hey, she must be stupid or must
    have nothing else to offer', which maybe is the case
    many times."
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    July, 2003 Esquire Magazine Interview)

Quote about Bush, George W. Jr
    "What's his accomplishment?....That he's no longer
    an obnoxious drunk?"
    Ron Reagan, Jr.

Bush Jr?
    "It's political Daddyism and it's as old as demagogues
    and despotism."
    Az Barry M. Goldwater

"Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my
    administration has been minding my own business."
    Calvin Coolidge, US President

"Capital punishment is our way of demonstrating
    the sanctity of life."
    -Orrin Hatch

7. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Signs to display when Ted Kennedy is in town:
    Drive VW bug, They float.
    Hey Teddy, please take John for a drive Tuesday morning.
    Ted Kennedy has killed more people than my assualt weapon!
    STAY OFF THE BRIDGES
    Dear Teddy: So you're going to help 'save' John Kerry, as the water is pouring into his campaign? Like you told Miss Kopechne, "Don't hold your breath."
    Mary Jo Kopechne Would Vote For Bush
    Lock the Liquor Cabinet and Keep the Oldsmobile in the Garage!
    Was it hell dressing a dead woman under water?
    Ted's campaign stops are going swimmingly.
    More people have been killed riding in a car with Ted Kennedy than have been killed by global warming.
    If Mary Jo had Teresa's money, Ted wouldn't have drowned her.
    Mary Jo K. Will be voting for Kerry this year!
    One Woman Left Behind
    Ted K should be behind bars, not drinking in them.

8. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    [image=http://www.4president.org/images/1980/tedkennedy1980.gif]

Mary Jo can really put a damper on things.
    WE really don't know if her death was intentional.
    Sure Teddy took awhile to call the Police.
    He may have just been driving drunk.

[image=http://media.bonnint.net/apimage/WX10503131821.jpg]

9. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Too much too read, I think I need a drink.

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"Who do you think will become the new Senate Minority Leader?
    Kerry?
    Clinton?
    Kennedy?

I don't think they would give it to Clinton or Kennedy."

Were you even half as informed as you pretend to be, you would know that Harry Reid from NV already has the votes to be the next minority leader. Dick Durbin is going to be the new whip.

For the lov of God, could you not even be bothered to keep up that much? It seems that every informed person on the planet knows what you do not. Until you are adequately capable of keeping up with the rest of us, please stop trying your hand at adult topics.

And what the hell is the point of this thread anyway? It's utterly useless and devoid of a topic.

AYBABTU

11. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Wasn't it about Uncle Teddy's drinking problem?

12. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    I think it was Seldon's way of proving that he knows how to copy and paste.

13. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Check it out. I can do it too.

Cellular respiration is the process of oxidizing food molecules, like glucose, to carbon dioxide and water. The energy released is trapped in the form of ATP for use by all the energy-consuming activities of the cell.

The process occurs in two phases:
    glycolysis, the breakdown of glucose to pyruvic acid
    the complete oxidation of pyruvic acid to carbon dioxide and water
    In eukaryotes, glycolysis occurs in the cytosol. (Link to a discussion of glycolysis). The remaining processes take place in mitochondria.
    Mitochondria
    Mitochondria are membrane-enclosed organelles distributed through the cytosol of most eukaryotic cells. Their main function is the conversion of the potential energy of food molecules into ATP. Mitochondria have:
    an outer membrane that encloses the entire structure
    an inner membrane that encloses a fluid-filled matrix
    between the two is the intermembrane space
    the inner membrane is elaborately folded with shelflike cristae projecting into the matrix.
    a small number (some 5?10) circular molecules of DNA
    The Outer Membrane
    The outer membrane contains many complexes of integral membrane proteins that form channels through which a variety of molecules and ions move in and out of the mitochondrion.
    The Inner Membrane
    The inner membrane contains 5 complexes of integral membrane proteins:
    NADH dehydrogenase
    succinate dehydrogenase
    cytochrome c reductase(also known as the cytochrome b-c1 complex)
    cytochrome c oxidase
    ATP synthase
    The Matrix
    The matrix contains a complex mixture of soluble enzymes that catalyze the respiration of pyruvic acid and other small organic molecules.

Here pyruvic acid is

oxidized by NAD+ producing NADH + H+
    decarboxylated producing a molecule of
    carbon dioxide (CO2) and
    a 2-carbon fragment of acetate bound to coenzyme A forming acetyl-CoA
    The Citric Acid Cycle
    This 2-carbon fragment is donated to a molecule of oxaloacetic acid.
    The resulting molecule of citric acid (which gives its name to the process) undergoes the series of enzymatic steps shown in the diagram.
    The final step regenerates a molecule of oxaloacetic acid and the cycle is ready to turn again.
    Summary:
    Each of the 3 carbon atoms present in the pyruvate that entered the mitochondrion leaves as a molecule of carbon dioxide (CO2).
    At 4 steps, a pair of electrons (2e-) is removed and transferred to NAD+ reducing it to NADH + H+.
    At one step, a pair of electrons is removed from succinic acid and reduces FAD to FADH2.
    The electrons of NADH and FADH2 are transferred to the respiratory chain.

The Respiratory Chain
    The respiratory chain consists of 3 complexes of integral membrane proteins
    the NADH dehydrogenase complex
    the cytochrome c reductase complex
    the cytochrome c oxidase complex
    and two freely-diffusible molecules
    ubiquinone
    cytochrome c
    that shuttle electrons from one complex to the next.
    The respiratory chain accomplishes:

the stepwise transfer of electrons from NADH (and FADH2) to oxygen molecules to form (with the aid of protons) water molecules (H2O);
    (Cytochrome c can only transfer one electron at a time, so cytochrome c oxidase must wait until it has accumulated 4 of them before it can react with oxygen.)

harnessing the energy released by this transfer to the pumping of protons (H+) from the matrix to the intermembrane space.
    Approximately 20 protons are pumped into the intermembrane space as the 4 electrons needed to reduce oxygen to water pass through the respiratory chain.
    The gradient of protons formed across the inner membrane by this process of active transport forms a miniature battery.
    The protons can flow back down this gradient, reentering the matrix, only through another complex of integral proteins in the inner membrane, the ATP synthase complex (as we shall now see).
    Chemiosmosis in mitochondria
    The energy released as electrons pass down the gradient from NADH to oxygen is harnessed by the three enzyme complexes of the respiratory chain to pump protons (H+) aga

14. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Is it sad that I actually read that?

Also... "The resulting molecule of citric acid (which gives its name to the process) undergoes the series of enzymatic steps shown in the diagram." There is no diagram. :(

15. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

[image=http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/CitricAcidCycle.gif]

AYBABTU

16. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Ahh, it all makes sense now. Thanks. :)

17. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I guess there is nothing to say about all of the quotes. There is no way to defend Reagan's intelligence.

-Seldon

18. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Copy/pasting shows no real insight into anything, and it is very telling that you must resort to it in order to even attempt to discuss a topic. Why not use your own understanding of issues and try to make your own points?

Or maybe you simply don't know anything, as evidenced by your ignorance of the Democratic leadership of the Senate.

AYBABTU

19. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I have not had time to watch the news for the last few days.
    That is not evidence of a lack of understanding.
    It just means I have had a lot to do in the last several days.

-Seldon

20. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Too much too read, I think I need a drink.

Dammit, beaten to the punch.

21. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"It just means I have had a lot to do in the last several days."

No, it means you're lazy and disrespectful to those of us who don't sit around on the internet copy/pasting information that we don't really even understand.

AYBABTU

22. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    There is no evidence to indicate that I don't anything I posted.

-Seldon

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Hahahaha! To every intellectually honest person reading your posts, I promise there is plenty to support that notion.

AYBABTU

24. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    To an intellectual person, his last post made no sense.

25. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    I type fast and have many things to do each day.
    I meant to type,

There is no evidence to indicate that I don't understand the things that I post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.