main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thread for the Fenway faithful.

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Good luck this weekend Red Sox Nation. May the best team win.

2. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Well, a split of the first two at Fenway and two Indians losses means that the Yankees have sealed up the AL East and the Sox have their Wild Card fate in their own hands. A Sox win or an Indians loss tomorrow means the Red Sox will be the AL Wild Card for the third consecutive year. If, however, the Sox lose and the Indians win tomorrow, there will be a one-game playoff at Fenway on Monday for the Wild Card.

LET'S GO SOX!

3. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    2005 AL Wild Card!!
    Way to Go Sox!!!!

We've got a chance to defend the title.
    LETS GO RED SOX~~

edit: another 4 oclock start time...dont the networks realize some of us have to work

4. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Well after a great season, despite it's many pitfalls, the Sox have made it into the playoffs as the AL Wild Card. It's a bit disappointing to see them squeak in with the Wild Card spot considering how good they were playing all season up until the 2nd week of August, but it still took a lot of hard work during the final stretch to get to where they are, so I'll take it. Now the Sox start the road to the World Series in Chicago to face the White Sox where they hold a 4-3 advantage over Chicago from the regular season. On the other side the Yankees will travel to CA to start their series against the Angels, who have a 6-4 advantage over the Yankees from the regular season. It all starts tomorrow so get ready folks, cause it's not over yet.

5. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Congratulations on your Wild Card Entry.
    We'll see YOU in the ALCS. [face_devil]

6. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Well, here we go again.... 5 runs in the 1st inning! We did win the World Series last year - right?

It is going to be a GREAT playoff season! Go SOX!

7. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    Shall I book a trip to Fenway for The Fat lady?

8. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Sox have come back from 0-2 in the Division Series before, Moby. The Sox will win the 2 at home then take their chances back in the "Windy City" w/ Arroyo (I hope).

9. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Sure Moby. As long as you got insurance on the ticket you guys bought her last year during the ALCS, you should still be able to get her one now with the voucher you should have. I hear they're good for 1 year [face_mischief].

10. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    knock knock...

anybody home....?

Hello Mr. and Mrs Foston, is Buck home? Can I borrow your broom?

~DG~

11. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    Man, the lady sure can sing! [face_mischief]

Seriuosly, congrats on a good season. Look forward defending our soon to be earned title against you guys next year! [face_dancing]

Now go play golf! [face_peace]

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Oh well! It was fun while it lasted, anyway! :D

13. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    The fat lady sang very loudly down here in CT and it was not fun at all. All of my Red Sox fan friends had gone home for the weekend because of the long weekend, so I had no one to talk to about the lose. :(

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Well it was definately fun, although a bit stressfull at times, while it lasted. It's a real shame that they went down with the sweep like that, but hopefully they can use this as a map to rebuild for next year. Good luck to the Yankees in their game 4 tonight against the Angels. I will definately look forward to seeing you guys again next year, but at this point if we play a defending champ I think it will be in June during Interleague play.

15. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Definitely a very disappointing way to end the season. Congrats to the White Sox though. They really were the better team and outplayed the Red Sox in every aspect of the game.

Now the offseason begins. Lets all hope the Sox do the right thing and ink Theo to a long-term deal. Once that's done, the Sox can go about rebuilding their league-worst bullpen, resigning Johnny Damon, and adding a new position player or two to the mix.

16. -Raldayen-

-Raldayen- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2003

I think someone counted their chickens before they hatched. Looks like the Sox and Yankees can hit the golf course together. :D

17. DarthMoby

Apr 10, 2002
    Look who showed up.

One excellent pitching performance, versus Mussina (For once I finally was willing to trust you! :_| ) = Yankees palying golf.

Angels desevered it! They played better.

Go Houston!

See you next year Red Sox Nation!

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    It should have been a better pitching duel, but between Mussina struggling in the 2nd and 3rd innings and Colon leaving really early with back problems, it all came down to the relief pitchers. Speaking of Colon, is it me or does he just look like crap? I mean... even if you only go back as far as his time in Montreal, he's gained a lot of weight and just doesn't look good. Sure he still got the job done this year, and being a bit heavy doesn't mean you can't be effective (cough cough... David Wells cough cough), but he just looks awfull.

Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing the Yankees again in '06, minus a couple players of course.

19. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Speaking of Colon, is it me or does he just look like crap?

Nope, it's not just you buddy. I've been thinking the same thing since the Angels signed him a couple of years ago. I'm amazed that this guy doesn't break down more often. He just looks like fat slob out there and it's a shame because he's still a young guy and he's one of the best pitchers out there.

One note about the Yankees/Angels series. As well as the Angels played in the series, it was the pathetic defense played by the Yanks that cost them the series (the lack of clutch hitting didn't help either). They set an ALDS record for errors by Game 4 and they didn't play any better last night. As intersting as it will be to see what changes the Sox will make this Winter, it will be just as interesting to see what the Yankees do. Talk on ESPN radio is that Brian Cashman will not be back next year.

Well now that all rooting interest is gone from this year's playoffs, I'm pulling for a Houston/Chicago World Series.

20. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Another noteable Yankee that might not be returning would be Bernie Williams. He's had a long road this season and I'd be surprised to see him back next year.

But since this is a Sox thread and the topic has already been started... what's everyone's thoughts on which Sox players will/will not be back next year?

Johnny Damon has already started his campaign. I didn't see the interview (which I think was after the game 3 loss to the Angels) but he said that the Sox are going to have to try and re-sign him :rolleyes:. Yes he's a great defensive player (even though he throws like a girl sometimes) and his bat was one of the best in the Majors this year, but you need to climb down off of the horse there Johnny. Theo is another one that the Sox need to take care of. I heard that he wants more control added to his role, not sure what that entails exactly, but he's still got to be up there on the list. Then the obvious is the pitching staff [face_beatup]. I think Wells only got one year, IMO he's worth another tour. Anyone else have 2 pennies to throw in here?

21. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Wells signed a two-year deal with the Sox, so he'll be back in the fold next year. A pitcher who I have a strong feeling won't be back is Bronson Arroyo. My guess is that they deal him off with maybe a prospect for a starting First Baseman.

As for the FA's, Mr. Damon needs to learn how to shut his pie hole once and awhile. He's starting to believe all of hype as "Mr. Rock n Roll Baseball". He was a VERY important part of the team the past couple of years and I hope he ends up back here, but I just wish he would find his long-lost censor button and use it now and then.

Millar. Buh-bye! Don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out. He MUST have naughty pictures of Francona or something because He got way too much playing time for a guy who only hit .270 with 9 HRs. I think Olerud's avg. and HR numbers were better and he only played about half as much as Millar did.

Olerud. Back if he's willing to continue being a roll player. Not the batting champ he used to be but he still has a slick glove in the field.

Mueller. Back only if the Sox get a good deal. As steady as he has been the past 3 years, this guy disappeared in Sept & Oct. at the plate. If he doesn't come back, Youkilis gets the starting gig.

Timlin. I think will be back. Sox will reward him for stepping in and righting the closer position after the mess Foulke and Shill made of the position.

Graffinino. Maybe, not sure. He was a god-send after the Sox finally cut their losses with Mark Bellhorn. If only he hadn't made that error in game 2!!!!

I htink that's it for FA's. Might have missed one though. The biggest question though is will Manny be back? Personally, I hope he is. As goofy and 'touched in the head' as he seems to be, there isn't a better clean-up hitter in the league.

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    We really need a better throwing arm in center. Baserunners were running on Johnny Damon virtually at will this season, especially later in the season when his shoulder was hurting him. That said, I hope Damon knows which side his bread is buttered on. There has been talk of Damon going to the "enemy", but Johnny should realize he would be forced to get a haircut if he signs with the Yankees, and the long hair has been a lot of his mystique the last couple of years.

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Former Sox SS Nomar Garciaparra saves 2 women from drowning in Boston Harbor

When I first heard this, I was surprised Nomar still had a place in the area. I thought he sold it in the last offseason.

A couple of related humorous asides...

On WEEI's "Big Show" open: "Hey, David Hasselhoff! Nomar's better! Nomar's better!"

Part of the topic on EFnet IRC's #RedSox: "Nomar Garciaparra saves two women from drowning; A-Rod and Jeter said to be in good condition"

[face_laugh]

24. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    A pitcher who I have a strong feeling won't be back is Bronson Arroyo. My guess is that they deal him off with maybe a prospect for a starting First Baseman.

I hope he will be back. He may have struggled at the end of the season but let's be honest here, the only one who didn't struggle was Wakefield (and he still gave up a lot of HR's at the end too). If they are going to deal him I hope it's for some relief in the bullpen.

Millar. Buh-bye!

I agree. He's been a great clubhouse spokesman since his arrival, except for the "alleged" controversy with Schilling, but his hot/cold style of play isn't going to cut it anymore here.

Olerud. Back if he's willing to continue being a roll player. Not the batting champ he used to be but he still has a slick glove in the field.

Definately hope he comes back! He can still get the bat on the ball when it counts and you're right... still one of the best gloves at 1st base.

Mueller. Back only if the Sox get a good deal. As steady as he has been the past 3 years, this guy disappeared in Sept & Oct. at the plate. If he doesn't come back, Youkilis gets the starting gig.

I agree there too. I think the Sox will pursue Mueller but not too hard. They'll offer him a deal and if he doesn't take it they will let him walk and turn to Youkilis.

Timlin. I think will be back. Sox will reward him for stepping in and righting the closer position after the mess Foulke and Shill made of the position.

He's been the only steady thing in the Sox bullpen for the past two years and they would be crazy not to re-sign him.

Graffinino. Maybe, not sure. He was a god-send after the Sox finally cut their losses with Mark Bellhorn.

I think that he'll return. Cora is just as good in the field (actually better) but Graffinino has a better bat. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Cora return in the backup role either, unless of course a starting job opens up somewhere.

25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    A report on WEEI indicates that third base coach Dale "Wave 'Em In" Sveum has resigned from the Red Sox to take the same position with the Milwaukee Brewers. We wish the Brewers luck! [face_laugh]

Edit: A later report also indicates that the Red Sox have asked permission from the Texas Rangers to talk to first base coach DeMarlo Hale about the vacancy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.