A thread for the Fenway faithful.

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Good luck to him with the Brewers, hope he does well there.

Still pretty quiet on the Epstien contract talks lately. Aside from what is already known about the two sides, which is that they are at a standstill right now, nothing new within the past couple of days. Hopefully they can work something out and keep Epstien on board, I'd hate to see him go elsewhere.
  2. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    The Red Sox have released the [link=http://tinyurl.com/dr9sk]2006 schedule[/link]. Among the highlights:

• Season opener April 3 @ Texas

• Home opener April 11 v. Toronto

• First game v. Yankees @ Fenway May 1

• First game @ Yankees May 9

• Mets visit Fenway June 27-29 (Possible Fenway return of Pedro Martinez)

• Other interleague opponents: @ PHI, @ ATL, v. WAS, v. PHI, @ FLA

The full tentative schedule can be found [link=http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/schedule/tentative_2006_season_schedule.jsp]here[/link].

The team also announced that ticket prices will remain unchanged for 70% of the seats. The only seats that will see an increase will be field boxes, loge boxes, the Green Monster, and the right field roof tables.

In other news, some scaffolding that was being used in the improvement of Fenway Park's club level collapsed. No injuries were reported, however, there was damage to some seats.
  3. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The contract talks between Epstien and the Sox should be winding down soon. It is typical practice not to make any announcments like this during the playoffs, the timetable for things like this to start hitting the news wire is 24-48 hours after the World Series is over. I'd say that if there hasn't been an official announcment by the November 1st deadline we can expect things to heat up and might even see a change in the position. I hope the Sox can get the job done here and keep Theo on the team.
  4. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Boston Globe is reporting that Theo and the Sox have agreed on a 3-year deal. Good news! I was begining to think Theo was not going to be back. I wonder if the fact that Theo's Assistant GM left the Sox yesterday to take the GM job with the Diamondbacks had anything to do with the Sox stepping up with a new offer.

In Free Agency news, both Millar and Mueller filed for FA yesterday. I doubt either of them will be back next year.
  5. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I can't say that I'd be extremely upset if Kevin Millar was to sign elsewhere. Bill Mueller on the other hand, it would be nice if they could sign him to a 1-year deal and use both him and Youkilis regularly in '06 just to help finish honing Youk' into a more well-rounded 3rd baseman. Not that he hasn't shown his skills so far, but if they can take their time on Hanley Ramirez they could offer the same for Youkilis.
  6. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Red Sox and [link=http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/10/31/epstein_red_sox_agree_on_a_three_year_contract/]Theo[/link] have finally agreed on a 3-year deal to keep the young GM here in Boston. This was definately (IMO) one of the biggest moves the Sox needed to make in order to help them try and get back into the kind of shape they need to be in for a run at the World Series. I'm just glad it's finally over.
  7. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    What a wild day! The Globe this morning reported that the Sox and Theo Epstein reached agreement on a three-year deal, but then, in a shocker, Theo announced his resignation as Sox General Manager late this afternoon. We're going to miss you, Theo...good luck with whatever you do from here.
  8. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Aargh! I have about a thousand different things I want to scream about right now regarding this mess. But I'm not very fond of developing carpal-tunnels over this fiasco, so I'll keep it short. I place 100% of the blame for this happening at the carpet-bagging feet of Larry Luccino.

I haven't trusted this guy since the day he latched on to Henry and Werner. He couldn't keep his big mouth shut. They had reached an agreement with Theo and all that dirtbag had to do was sit on it over the weekend and it would have been a done deal yesterday, Instead he goes through through his "pipeline" at the Globe and uses that hack Dan Shaunessey as a way to take one last stab at Theo, to remind him of "who's in charge". Well congrats Luccino, you've left your team high and dry at the begining of the free agency period.

My hope is that is the begining of the end of this ego-driven mouth. Henry and Werner will never step up and do the right thing by asking for him to step aside, but hopefully he gets so much grief from the fans and LEGITIMATE media here in Boston that he get's tired of it and moves on to another unsuspecting franchise.

Mr. Luccino, the exit door can't hit you in the rear-end fast enough in this Red Sox fans opinion.
  9. hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan

star 4
    A fiasco is right, I was so confused this morning when I picked up the newspaper and saw the headline that Theo was leaving, it was like what in the world is happening until I read the article.
  10. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I didn't realize there was any LEGITIMATE media here in Boston? Personally I think that they are all a little too bias in one way or another. That aside I agree, hopefully Luccino gets an earfull from the fans and he decides to pick up and leave. I only hope that when (and if) the time comes Henry and Werner have the $$$ to buy him out or can find a suitable replacement partner.

But in the interest of being fair, I heard that there were also some more personal reasons for Epstien to choose to leave. The most prominent seems to be the same thing that bothers many other local sports figures who reside in the area, the overbearing lack of privacy while in public. I don't care what anybody says, even if you are a celebrity, you are still entitled to a private life off of the field. People need to realize that these men and women are human beings too, not just some zoo animal that you can get to stop and pose for a picture when YOU want it, righ then and there.
  11. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I've heard that the lack of a personal life was one of the factors as well, but I've also heard that he (Theo) went to Luccino right before Spring Training started and wanted to negotiate a new deal then, but Luccino shooed him off until after the season was over. So there was legitimate interest from Theo at one point in the not-too distant past to stay here, even with the lack of personal space.

I will never, ever find fault with Theo and his decision to leave. He was a great GM and will almost certainly land on his feet, whether it's in baseball or another field of work.
  12. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I don't really blame him either. I mean sure, a job is a job. However you should also be happy with what you do and where you are so if you're not then it's time move on, no shame in that. I hope he finds success wherever he goes next!
  13. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    In happier news, the Silver Sluggers were announced yesterday, and Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, and Jason Varitek all won at their positions.

Today, the American League Gold Glove winners were announced, and Jason Varitek won his first Gold Glove. Congrats to "Cap" on being a "double winner". :D
  14. DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It seems that Theo Epstein the Red Sox GM has declined the offer by the owners to continue to stay with the organization.

It is kind of ironic that he is not happy with the ammount offered and is going elsewhere.

Since he caused Pedro to leave Boston, for the same reason.

And how did that Renteria signing go?
    The worst signing and wasted money IMO. I believe he had the most errors at that position this past season.

I believe they shopuld of kept Nomar, even with the injuries.

Yeah and no big suprise Red Sox raised ticket prices this year....again.
    Which only leaves the rich to able to go to a baseball games and excludes most families.

I guess most teams do this so it shouldn't be a surprise.

So are the the owners hurting that much for money.
    Maybe we should start a fund raiser.

Just my opinion.

15. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    According to the Daily Free Press, a BU student newspaper, Fenway Park will be missing something else next season: the presence of popular ball attendant Kelly Barons, who is a communications major at BU. Kelly has spent the last two seasons patrolling the foul ground down the lines and was asked (and agreed) to do a guest host spot on ESPN's "Baseball Tonight". Although we'll be sad to see her gone from Fenway, we wish Kelly well in her future endeavors.
  16. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    On a lighter note, former GM Theo Epstein was offered the general manager's job of the [link=http://www.brocktonrox.com/news/?id=4072]independent Brockton Rox[/link]. Epstein has reportedly refused the position. [face_laugh]
  17. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well we know that the "closer by committee" program didn't work for the Sox back in '03 but not wanting to give up on an idea without making sure it's just not going to work the owners have decided to give things another chance. This time it will be a "GM by committee" system where the 3 owners and another team rep will attend the winter meetings :oops:.
  18. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    Fan balloting for 3 of the 10 finalists for the 2006 Ford C. Frick Award, the winner of which will be enshrined in the broadcasters' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame, is now underway. You may cast your ballot, the choices of which include Red Sox radio announcers Joe Castiglione and Jerry Trupiano as well as NESN/WSBK color analyst Jerry Remy, [link=http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick/index.asp]here[/link].
  19. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Just read over at si.com that A-Rod beat out Big Papi for this year's AL MVP vote. Papi came in 2nd by 24 points. Manny finished behind Vlad Guererro in 4th place.
  20. Wildstar02301 Jedi Master

star 4
    Some people might think that Papi Ortiz got robbed in the MVP voting, but it really wasn't a "Pedro" situation where he got left off of some ballots. According to the voting breakdown found on [link=http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051114&content_id=1267994&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb]MLB.com[/link], It came down to the first place votes (A-Rod's 16 to Papi's 11) and Papi was either first or second on all 28 ballots (A-Rod apparently got a third-place vote from the writer who gave first to Vladimir Guerrero).
  21. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I don't think that he was robbed in the sense as in when Pedro's name was left off of a few ballots, but I can't help thinking that some of those who voted were a little bias over Ortiz only playing in the DH spot where A-Rod played on both sides (no pun intended [face_devil]). Not that A-Rod didn't deserve the award, as much as it pains me to admit it, either way... congrats to him.
  22. RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master

star 4
    If Ortiz actually PLAYED on the field, he'd win the MVP hands down.
  23. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If we were talking about the Golden Glove awards, then I would see your point. Since we are talking about the MVP award I'd like to point out that "MVP" stands for "Most Valuable Player". Whether a player is the 3rd baseman or the DH shouldn't matter. What matters is what that player has done for his team over the course of the season to help them win as many games as possible.
  24. DarthWormie Jedi Padawan

star 4
    And if A-Rod actually played like a Yankee maybe he'd win a World Series.
  25. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    With the news that the Yankees have come to terms with Matsui on a new contract, the Sox have reportedly offered Johnny Damon a new deal. The Sox have put up a 3-year deal worth between $27-30M. Damon says that he is looking for a longer contract and hopes to finish out his career in Boston. We'll see how this one pans out in the upcoming months.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.