main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thread for the Fenway faithful.

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    It's not going to be easy, J_O. Damon's agent is Scott "Show Me the Money" Boras. [face_plain]

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Maybe but I think that Damon is a reasonably intelligent guy and has seen what an overzealous agent can do **T.O.**. I understand that baseball is different where a player can't just be cut or suspended like that, but I think that he'd rather stick with the team that has a better chance of making the playoffs rather than letting his agent get him shipped off to a team that just can't get it done after the all-star break.

3. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Damon isn't going to get the 7yr $84M he's looking for from ANYBODY. He's a 32 year-old CF with a horrible arm. The Yankees are off the market for his services (or so they say). What other team in baseball has the coin to even offer close to that? My guess is he either signs a 4 year + an option for around $45-48M or a 5 year deal in the $50-55M range here with the Sox.

4. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    BIG NEWS coming out of Fenway Park!!!!!

It was announced yesterday that a deal has been set in motion and as long as all players involved pass physicals, Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell will be coming to the Sox! This is huge for the pitching staff as Beckett will give the Sox something that they haven't had much of lately, a young arm with quality and big game experience. Having Mike Lowell will also be another boost but I can't help but wonder if tht means the Sox are going to let Bill Meuller walk or perhaps use him to trade for more pitching [face_thinking].

5. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    This will be a good trade for the Sox. They definitely need some help in the rotation especially with all the injuries last year. I do believe Mueller is a free agent so getting Lowell with be a big upgrade. I do wonder however what they are going to with Kapler now since he was supposed to be the future at 3rd.

6. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I wouldn't say that he's a BIG upgrade, but he will be good insurance if Meuller signs elsewhere while Youkilis, who is the Sox 3rd baseman in training, fine tunes his game.

7. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Don't forget, the Sox do not have a starting 1st Baseman. So with Lowell joining th team as it's starting 3rd baseman (good bye & good luck to Bill Mueller) maybe Youkilis becomes the Sox starting 1st baseman with John Olerud coming back as an option incase either Youks or Lowell doesn't work out?

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Very good theory [face_thinking]. That could definately work out.

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Red Sox made a move to address the bullpen issue, sending either a player to be named later or cash considerations to the Chicago Cubs for rookie reliever Jermaine Van Buren. Although Van Buren has control issues with 9 BB in 6.0 IP over 6 appearances after being called up late in 2005, he only gave up 2 hits and struck out 3 in that time, so he does show some promise.

Edit: Van Buren set the franchise record for saves in a season at Iowa, the Cubs' Triple A affiliate, before being called up.

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Lots of things happening in Red Sox Nation lately. So I'll start off with what is known to be certain right now:

The Sox traded Doug Mirabelli to the Padres for 2nd baseman Mark Loretta. It's tough to see a guy like Mirabelli go but even though he was our backup he was definately a starting-quality catcher on just about any other team out there. Good luck to him next year in San Diego =D=.

What puzzles me about this is that the Sox also offered arbitration to Tony Graffanino, which tells me that they still have some interest in him. Maybe they will try to move one of them over to shortstop since reports from the Winter Meetings are saying the the Sox are trying to shop Edgar Rienteria around too! Although those same reports are talking of a 3-way deal that would bring Julio Lugo from the D-Rays to Boston and send Rienteria to Atlanta :confused:. The Sox also offered arbitration to Mueller, so the starting job at 3rd base isn't a lock for Mike Lowell just yet.

11. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Mueller won't be back. The Sox offered him arbitration because when he signs with another team, the Sox will now receive a draft pick in return. Word is he's already working on a deal to join the Dodgers.

The Graffinino one puzzles me. I figured with Loretta on board, the Sox would just let Graff go and bring Pedroia up to be the back-up at 2nd base. Maybe they expect Graffinino to also sign elsewhere soon so they can grab another draft pick.

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Another possibility if they get rid of Renteria is that the Sox move Loretta to short (where he has 1000 career innings) and re-sign Graffanino to play 2nd.

13. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    No sooner said than done. According to Peter Gammons, the Sox have officially traded Edgar Renteria to the Braves for 3rd base prospect Andy Marte. Interesting to see the Sox actually trade an established player for a prospect, but Marte is a can't miss prospect. I believe Baseball America had him as the #9 prospect in all of baseball.

Another longshot could be the guy who played 3rd base for the Cubs last year. He's a free agent and I've heard he's also played a few games at SS ;)

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Peter Gammons, speaking on WEEI, said that Theo Epstein has been involved in these recent deals. Maybe the skids have been greased for Theo's return to the Red Sox' GM post? :D

15. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    From what I remember Theo did say he would help out for a lil while, but I doubt if he will come back though. Granted this is coming from a Mets and Twins fan so don't take my word as gospel. lol

16. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    No sooner do we have a vacancy at shortstop than one of the best, the Orioles' Miguel Tejada, announces that he wants out of Baltimore. The current "conventional wisdom" says the Sox will try to get him in a deal involving Manny Ramirez, but Manny could actually be persuaded to stay with the Sox if his buddy Tejada comes here. Stay tuned!

17. Wario

Wario Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2005
    Hey Wild Star. Thanks for the invite!

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Hey Wario...we should really have a welcome thread where new people can post, but I'll leave that to our CR, starwarschick14. :D

19. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    With the Winter Meetings now gone there's still a few things left unsolved in Red Sox Nation.

1) Manny's still wearing a Sox uniform. I know... that's not really an "unsolved mystery" or even a surprize for that matter. Without some type of divine intervention Manny will be with the Sox until at least the '07 or '08 season when his contract has widdled down enough that a team with some extra cash will be willing to take him in.

2) Although they have been talking, Johnny Damon is still a free agent. Both sides have been back and forth but both sides are also very tight-lipped on the issue.

3) Now Tejada is saying that he never asked for a trade, he was just upset over the lack of direction that the teams ownership has for the future. However if he did want to be traded, would he come to Boston? He could be the shoulder for Manny that Pedro once was, and he could play shortstop too ;).

4) There's reports that the Sox are in talks with Nomar and Clemens. Depending on how things pan out with the excess of infielders the Sox currently have Nomar could play in center or left field in the event that either Damon or Manny aren't here for the '06 season, something that he has said he is very open to doing. Clemens on the other hand, although it would piss off some of the fans that feel jilted by his departure (BTW... LET IT GO ALREADY!!!), would be a great addition to the rotation. Imagine having a starting rotation that reads: Schilling / Clemens / Wakefield / Beckett / Clement =P~. If Foulke could return to his form from '04, add that to the bullpen with Aroyyo in it and you've got a lights-out staff from top to bottom.

Plenty to think about over the next couple of months until Spring Training [face_thinking].

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't see any way Clemens comes back, as great as it would be. What I think he'll end up doing is spending the summer getting ready for the Baseball World Championships that he'll be representing team USA in. After that, depending on how he feels he decide whether to hang them up, or he'll resign with Houston after the May 1st restriction expires. I think the Sox contacting him was another olive branch by ownership to set up a number retirement ceremony in the not too distant future.

As for Nomar that's another longshot. Not sure where he'll end up but alot of talk recently is that it may be with the Blue Jays.

21. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    I think Arroyo would replace Wakefield and move Wakefield to the Middle Reliever position. All that heat followed up by the 'Wakefield Effect' would confuse hitters long enough for Wakefield to set up for Foulke.

22. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Right now Wakefield is the Sox #3 pitcher behind Schill and Beckett with Clement and Papelbon filling out the starting 5. Arroyo, if not traded by the start of the season will move to the pen as a long reliever. Mota and Timlin will serve as the set-up men for either Foulke or Hansen.

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'd be very surprized if Roger retires. He still has what it takes at 42 to be a pitcher that can run with the much younger pitchers in the game today. He was good enough to be considered for another Cy Young award, not to mention he's right there with Cy Young himself in career wins. Personally I could see him pitching for at least 2-3 more years. The only thing that will stop that, which in itself is a very good reason, is his desire to start spending time with his family.

As for Nomar, I just hope he lands with a team that he can start rebuilding himself and his career with. He's still one of my favorite players ever and it kills me to see him bounce around like he has the past couple of years. He may not end up on a playoff contender but as long as he works to get himself back to the Nomar of the 98-99 seasons over the next 1-2 years I'm sure we'll be seeing him play October baseball again.

24. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Red Sox announced at a press conference yesterday that Ben Cherington and Jed Hoyer would share the general manager duties. Cherington would handle the minor league operations (including amateur and international scouting) and Hoyer would be in charge of major league transactions. If you ask me, though, a door was definitely left open for Theo Epstein to return to the club.

25. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    If you ask me the Sox don't seem to care if Theo changes his mind or not. I mean... if the Sox are leaving the door open for Theo they have also moved a few big boxes in front of it so that it's hard to see. First they signed him, then he resigns, then they want to try the GM-by-commitee, now they have two guys doing (for the most part) what Theo did by himself. I can understand why Theo felt jilted by the owners but unfortunately that happens sometimes in the workplace. If it was worth leaving over than I'm glad he made the right decision for himself, but if in hindsight he feels that it wasn't really that bad here and is thinking of coming back then everyone involved needs to suck it up, stop the pissing contest over who makes what decisions and how much money the other one makes, and just get JOB #1 done, fielding a team by Spring Training.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.