A thread for the Fenway faithful.

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well there's been more talking going on in regards to the status of Nomar, except this time it's not the Sox doing the talking. The NY Post reported that the Yankees are talking to Nomar about wearing pinstripes at 1st base this year. Can you imagine if Nomar gets back to form how devastating the Yankees infield will be, on offense AND defense [face_beatup]? If this happens I will be suffering from a major case of conflict-of-interest [face_hypnotized].
  2. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't forget about Johnny Damon. Joe Torre is personally courting Johnny. I don't know though. Can Johnny play clean shaven and short, neatly managed hair? I don't the Baseball Gods would allow it.

Roger, please come back to New York, and bring Andy back with you!

3. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    He did have the short hair and clean shaven look since he started playing all the way through his first year in Boston. So I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

And you can't have Roger!!! We saw him first :mad:!
  4. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4

That was before the "Passion of the Johnny" days.

Once you get the calling, you can't go back. :)
  5. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Tony Massarotti, in his Red Sox Notebook column, said today that Tony Graffanino will likely accept the Red Sox' salary arbitration offer today, meaning that likely he, Mark Loretta, and Dustin Pedroia will compete in spring training for the second base and utility jobs. Massarotti also said that Johnny Damon will likely reject his arbitration offer, effectively setting a Jan. 8 deadline for re-signing with the club. If he doesn't re-sign by then, he cannot negotiate with the Red Sox until May 15.
  6. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    In other baseball news:

Former Red Sox SS Nomar Garciaparra has agreed to a 1-year deal with the Dodgers. He will either play first base or go to the outfield for the club. Right now the Dodgers are looking more like the Red Sox than the Red Sox do, as they have former teammates Derek Lowe and Bill Mueller, as well as former manager Grady Little.
  7. DarthLucanas Jedi Master

star 4
    Well it appears the Red Sox Ownership has pulled another bumble...again....and once again. [face_beatup]

Johnny Damon is now a New York Yankee!!!
    He signed a 52 million dollar 4 year contract.

According to Johnny the Yankess were really aggressive and wanted him and the Red Sox Ownership did nothing.[face_shame_on_you]

Once again waited..and waited until it was too late.
    It is Deja Vu all over again.
    Kind of the same senario that happened with Pedro.

Can you really blame him for signing with the Yankees?
    I don't if the team he plays for doesn't try to get him signed as soon as they can, only would say to me they don't really care or want Damon to stay.

This is just a another reason why I won't pay the prices that the ownership charges for a ticket to a game.

It seems the ownership is going to milk the 2004 World Championship season for a long time coming. [face_pig]

I can see the advertisement slogan from the ownership for this and the following years.. " Let's get back to a championship" [face_whistling]

Please sell the team to someone who understands what the sport is all about the fans.

Too bad Mr. Kraft or someone like him could of bought the Red Sox. :(
  8. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice avatar Chris! He looks just like the guy who stole my last can of "Who-Hash" ;)

Ahh, farewell Johnny. I'm still trying to organize my thoughts on this one. First off, I think the Yankees overpaid for him. $13M a year for a 33 year-old CF with one of the weakest arms in the league? Whatever. It has a slight stink of desperation on the Yankees part. Going on year 6 without a World Series Championship and the though of Bubba Crosby as their starting CF was killing them.

On the Sox side, they definitely were asleep at the wheel. They threw out that 4 year/$40M offer to him figuring no one else would top that and it backfired to a point on them. I think if they had continued negotiations with JD instead of concentrating on other minor deals, this could have been settled for something like 4 years/$48M or maybe 5 years/$50M. My guess is that they expected JD's agent to come back to them before making a decision to sign elsewhere and he didn't.

There were interviews with the Sox ownership last night after the news broke and they knew nothing of the signing. They were considering it a rumor. Just another example of the front office ineptitude that seems to be running rampant over on Yawkey Way this off-season.

They (the Sox) can still turn this around. There are a couple of legitimate replacements out there that they can acquire. The problem is, they're dealing from a point of weakness right now. Teams know they are in dire need for a starting CF/lead off hitter and will be trying to squeeze as much out of them as possible. The deep pool of minor league talent that Theo helped acquire and develop will have to be dipped into, again.

9. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Do we call him "Judas" Damon now? :_|
  10. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    I wouldn't go as far as that, if you want to call anyone names it should be the Sox ownership. In my mind there were two things that the Sox needed to worry about this year, bolstering their pitching staff and re-signing Damon. They have done a great job with their additions to the pitching staff but were so wrapped up in signing infielders and trying to deal Manny that they dropped the ball with Damon. I agree with Mike on this one. If they were that serious about signing him they would have been a little more proactive about it by offering up something more like a 5 year deal. However I don't think it was as much of a desperation move on the part of the Yankees. They always find someone to play for them at each position come April and even though Damon might not have the strongest arm Bernie wasn't that much better (at least not towards the end), and since Damon is faster and has been hitting better they still make out in the long run.

All that aside good luck to Johnny with his new team [face_good_luck]! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to a Sox/Yanks game this year so that I can cheer for him when he walks onto the field then heckle him when he takes CF [face_devil].
  11. Darth_Santos Force Ghost

star 3
    -Greetings from Miami-

Regarding Johnny's departure to the Yankees, I shall quote Vader:

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

First off, I do not blame Damon for signing with the Bombers. He has said that the Yankees would go after him since May. He reminded Francona about this last week. Quite frankly, the Red Sox ownership did not step up to the plate. Let me tell you guys, it sucks to be a Red Sox fan down here in Miami. When I wanted to cry on someone's shoulder this morning after hearing the news, there were no fellow Bosox fans to share my sorrow with. Very frustrating. I feel like I'm in a desert. :(

Anyhow, hopefully we'll keep Manny. I would really hate to see him go, too. I'm upset right now, but I still have faith in the Sox. All I want for Christmas is a rematch between the Sox and the Yankees in the 2006 ALCS. Can you imagine if we beat them?
    =P~
  12. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    Man, this is waking up on Christmas and finding $1,000,000 in my stocking. I hoped but never dreamed we take Jesus from you. Oh happy day!

Go Yanks!
  13. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    It may be like finding $1,000,000.00 in your stocking, but realizing you had to pay $2,000,000.00 to get it. Georgie Porgie overpaid for Damon ($13M a year?) and while it may pay immediate dividends this season or next, by the 3rd & 4th year you guys are going to have another Bernie Williams situation on your hands. A 37 year-old slap hitting CF'er with no arm.
  14. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Gee Mike, I get the feeling that you're holding something back [face_thinking]. Why don't you just let it all out and tell us how you really feel [face_beatup].
  15. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Red Sox addressed the backup catcher vacancy yesterday by signing former Yankee backup backstop John Flaherty to a minimum major-league contract ($650K + $100K bonus if he is on the major league roster at the beginning of next season). A signing that was missed here was that of Ken Huckaby to a minor-league contract, so that means the Sox are likely willing to part with prospect Kelly Shoppach, and it will be between Flaherty and Huckaby in spring training to see who catches Tim Wakefield next season.
  16. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    I was so shocked when I heard the news of Johnny Damon's move to the Yankees in the Globe. There were so many pissed off people in my dorm.
  17. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Manny Ramirez drama continues! A report by ESPN Deportes (Spanish language) now quotes Manny as wanting to remain in Boston. If this is true, we'd better forget about getting Miguel Tejada. :rolleyes:
  18. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Funny you mention that interview. I was listening to 890ESPN Boston this morning on the way to work and Manny now claims that he never said any of that to ESPN Deportes (?)

I'm telling you, this guy has officially spun off his mental axis and is now spiraling out of control.[face_hypnotized]
  19. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Woo Hoo! Let the J.T. Snow era begin :rolleyes:. The Sox signed the 37 year old First Baseman to a one-year $2M contract today.

Last year in 117 games he hit .275 with 4 HR and 40 RBI. He's probably be used in the same role the Sox used Oelrud last year. A late-inning defensive replacement and a once or twice a week replacement for Youkilis at first.
  20. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    And you're just realizing this now? I thought he went off his axis a couple of years ago.
  21. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    For anyone interested, former Red Sox Jim Rice got hosed again in the HOF voting which took place today. A candidate must receive 75% of the vote to gain entrance to the hall. Rice got just under 65%, his highest total to date, but still not enough.

There was only one player voted into the HOF today, former relief pitcher Bruce Sutter who got just of 76% of the votes.
  22. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    All is not lost, DW. Jim Ed still got more votes than Don Mattingly. :D
  23. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Unfortunately for Rice the next few years of voting will make it nearly impossible for him to get in. In the 06' balloting alone Cal Ripken Jr., Tony Gwynn, and Mark McGuire (who will bring his own batch of controversy) will be up for entry into the Hall. Rice only has four more chances to get in and his odds just went downhill IMO.
  24. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Red Sox today signed right-handed reliever Julian Tavarez to a 2-year deal w/ a vesting option, pending a physical. Tavarez was 2-3 w/ a 3.43 ERA with the Cardinals last year, with a 1.32 WHIP over 65 2/3 IP in 74 appearances.
  25. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    The Sox also avoided arbitration and signed Graffinino to a 1-year deal for around $2M.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.