main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thread for the Fenway faithful.

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Although we knew it was coming, the breakup of the championship team continues. The Baltimore Sun is reporting that, pending a physical today, free agent first baseman Kevin Millar will sign a one-year deal w/ the Orioles worth a reported $2.1M plus incentives.

2. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I can't believe the Orioles actually gave him $2.1M + incentives. As far as I know, there was no other interest in him around the league.

3. TI-0694

TI-0694 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2004
    You know what I bet it's coming down to for Baltimore is the fact that they're seeing everyone else in the division(ESPECIALLY Toronto) signing and trading for improvements. They're just trying to keep up with the Jones' now. It'll all blow up in their face again hopefully.

4. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Sox today inked RHP Bronson Arroyo to a three-year deal worth a reported $11.5M to $12.5M. By signing the deal, Arroyo gives up his remaining three years of arbitration eligibility, and the deal will take him right into free agency. Arroyo led the Sox pitching staff in 2005 with 20 quality starts.

5. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Red Sox principal owner John Henry, chairman Tom Werner, president/CEO Larry Lucchino, and Theo Epstein issued a joint statement to the media tonigh, which, in part, reads:

"As you know, we have spoken frequently during the last 10 weeks. We have engaged in healthy, spirited debates about what it will take over the long term for the Red Sox to remain a great organization and, in fact, become a more effective organization in philosophy, approaches and ideals.

"Ironically, Theo?s departure has brought us closer together in many respects, and, thanks to these conversations, we now enjoy the bonds of a shared vision for the organization?s future that did not exist on Oct. 31. With this vision in place, Theo will return to the Red Sox in a full-time baseball operations capacity, details of which will be announced next week."

The statement also said that nothing more will be said about this matter until next week. Stay tuned!

6. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Tune in next week for the next exciting chapter in the ongoing drama "As the Red Sox Turn":rolleyes:

7. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Red Sox are now apparently on the verge of completing a couple of deals that would fill key holes. The first is a trade that would send reliever Guillermo Mota and 3B prospect Andy Marte (who was acquired in the Renteria trade) to the Cleveland Indians for outfielder Coco Crisp. The deal reportedly is contingent on the Indians acquiring a replacement for Crisp. If the trade goes down, Crisp would play center field.

The other reported deal has the Red Sox signing free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez. The 28 year old former Florida Marlin is a free-swinging, career .264 hitter with little power, but is regarded as a very good defensive player. He is projected to hit ninth if signed.

8. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    In a statement released to the media today, the Red Sox announced that Theo Epstein will be resuming his duties as General Manager. In short, nothing's changed...Theo has no more or less power than he had when he left on Oct. 31. So what do you guys think has changed that made Theo comfortable enough about returning?

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    A monkey wrench in the Coco Crisp deal was thrown in when a report out of Philadelphia said that reliever Guillermo Mota failed to pass his physical with Cleveland. The Crisp deal is now on hold while an attempt to rework the deal (perhaps substituting Mota with Manny Delcarmen) is made.

10. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    It now looks like the Coco Crisp deal is close to done. Pending physicals, the Indians have sent veteran lefty reliever Arthur Rhodes to Philly for outfielder Jason Michaels, a deal which was mentioned as a necessary precursor to a deal involving Crisp.

11. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    And the Coco Crisp deal is now done! =D=

The Red Sox get Crisp, reliever David Riske, and catcher Josh Bard for third base prospect Andy Marte (obtained in the Renteria trade), reliever Guillermo Mota (the add-on of the Josh Beckett deal), catcher Kelly Shoppach, cash, and either a player to be named later or future cash considerations.

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    With only 17 days remaining until the reporting day to spring training for pitchers and catchers, the Red Sox released their list of non-roster invitees today. 20 names were on that list, including injured outfielder Gabe Kapler, infield prospect Dustin Pedroia, and, surprisingly to Red Sox fans, former Yankee infielder Enrique Wilson, infamous for getting big hits off of former Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez. I'm sure Manny Ramirez had something to do with Wilson making the list; the two are drinking buddies after all. [face_laugh]

13. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Since the Superbowl is this weekend this will be the last form of pro-sports that I will be able to enjoy until Spring Training starts (not much of a hockey or basketball fan). I'm just glad that a lot of the drama that has taken up most of the offseason is finally over and with most of the gaps and question marks filled and solved we can move forward again.

Despite the many changes that the Sox have seen in their roster I still think that they will be a major force in the league. Their pitching has without a doubt improved, they've filled CF with someone who can bring a lot to the team, and the infield might take some time to gel but I think will be just fine in the long run.

BTW: Did anyone else recieve the e-mail to register for Sox/Yanks tickets, Green Monster seats, or tickets to the new RF grandstand/dining area? I did and sent mine in yesterday. I think that you can just signup through the team website if anyone is interested.

14. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Yup, received my email yesterday as well. Signed up for all three lotteries. Anyone who did not receive the email can indeed sign up over at redsox.com.

To those who do enter, good luck!

15. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    A report on WEEI, quoting the Los Angeles Times, said that the Red Sox have tried to shop Manny Ramirez to the Angels for Chone Figgins, Ervin Santana, and two top prospects, but that the Angels balked at the deal because of the Sox' demand that the Angels pick up most or all of the $57M left on Ramirez's contract.

16. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Wrapping up offseason business before spring training:

The Sox finally completed the deal for free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez. Gonzalez reportedly gets a one year deal worth up to $3M conditional on him making the Opening Day roster.

Also, the Sox avoided arbitration and came to terms with their two remaining arbitration-eligible players, pitcher Josh Beckett and outfielder Coco Crisp, both of whom were acquired in offseason trades. Beckett's deal was reportedly worth $4.25M, while WEEI said Crisp's deal was for $2.75M.

17. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    According to several sources, the Red Sox have prepared a video in an effort to convince free agent pitcher Roger Clemens to return to the team, but according to the Herald this morning, the likelihood of Clemens' return to the Sox appears to be slight. The same article said that it appears that David "Boomer" Wells may, in fact, stay with the Sox rather than be traded to a west coast team.

18. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    The only way a video is going to entice Clemens into coming back to Boston is if there is a $10-15M check in the box with it. Red Sox could use that money to help shore up any problems mid-season by taking on a contract or two.

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    According to a Boston Globe article by Nick Cafardo, Red Sox pitching coach Dave Wallace has been hospitalized in South Carolina the last few days with a hip infection. He will likely miss all of spring training and perhaps part of the regular season as well. Newly-appointed bullpen coach Al Nipper has been designated by Terry Francona to take over the pitching coach duties until Wallace returns.

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Personally, I think this is all an attempt to lure Clemens back to Boston.

"See Rocket, we even brought back your old drinking buddy Nip. Now won't you Puh-leeeze come back? Your number 21 is waiting for you."

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    The Lowell Spinners have started a program so that there are no more Yankees teams in New England! They will pay for new uniforms if any little league team wants to change their name from the Yankees to the Spinners [face_laugh]. Sure maybe it's a bit much but I also cringe while waiting to find out what team my son will be playing for every spring.

22. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I heard about that the other day. Pretty funny and a fairly smart marketing compaign to be honest. Whoever came up with that promotion definitely needs a promotion of some sort. I'm sure there will be plenty of LL programs around the state without alot of financial support taking them up on their offer.

As a former 13 year-old who ended up playing a year of Babe Ruth baseball on a team named the Yankees, I can atest that having to wear a Yankees uni as a Sox fan was not a high point in my baseball career.

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The equipment truck left Fenway for Ft. Myers today! Pitchers and catchers report Saturday! [face_dancing]

Red Sox Hall of Fame electees for 2006 announced

The most recognizable names in the list are former players Jerry Remy and George Scott, and former managers Joe Morgan and Dick Williams. "The Steal" will also be recognized as a "Memorable Moment in Red Sox History" at the Red Sox Hall of Fame induction dinner on Nov. 6 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, with the proceeds from the event benefitting the Red Sox Foundation.

24. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Catching up with old news, it was announced this week that Red Sox players Mike Timlin and Jason Varitek will play for the US in next month's World Baseball Classic. Former Red Sox (and now Yankees :_| ) player Johnny Damon has also been named to the team.

25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Pitchers and catchers report to Ft. Myers tomorrow!!!

A bit of news out of unofficial spring training is that both Josh Beckett and David Riske threw bullpen sessions yesterday. Both pitchers are reported to have come out of the session in good shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.