main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A thread for the Fenway faithful.

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/02/20/Sports/gowdy_curt_died060220.html

Curt Gowdy, the legendary sports broadcaster who was the radio voice for a generation of Red Sox fans, has passed away at age 86. :(

2. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Woo Hoo! I just received an e-mail from the Red Sox saying that I was chosen in their annual lottery to purchase Green Monster seats! :D I've been dying to sit in those seats since they first opened them.

3. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    With position players reporting to spring training today, it was reported yesterday that Manny Ramirez has been excused from having to report until March 1 (a week from today). And even then, he will only be in Ft. Myers for a couple of days, as he is due to play for his native Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic.

4. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Actually, it was reported in both the Globe and Herald this morning that Manny does NOT intend to suit up for the Dominican Rep. in the WBC. He will instead stay in camp with the Sox.

5. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    This is pretty cool Mike. I can only imagine how stoked you are. I have never been to a Red Sox game. I went to numerous Twins games when I lived in MN couldn't pass up $10 seats on the field down the 3rd base line. Before that I went to Cincy Reds games. I couldn't stand Cincy so I went when they faced the Mets each year since they are my favorite baseball team.

6. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    It has been reported that pitching coach Dave Wallace has undergone hip replacement surgery in the wake of his recent infection, and is now likely to miss the entire season. Looks like the pitching staff will sink or swim this year under Al Nipper's guidance.

7. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Both Curt Schilling and Josh Beckett threw their first batting practice sessions over the weekend. Schilling threw 63 pitches over 15 minutes in his session on Saturday, only allowing a solid liner by Willie Harris, with Tony Graffanino and Kevin Youkilis struggling to hit him with any authority, and reporting no pain in his right ankle at the end of the session. Beckett threw 32 pitches yesterday, and had his stuff described in an article by Jeff Horrigan in the Herald today as "pretty filthy".

8. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Red Sox start playing games tonight (although they do not yet count in the standings), as they face the crosstown rival Minnesota Twins at Hammond Stadium. Jonathan Papelbon is scheduled to start for the Sox, and the game can be heard on the Red Sox Radio Network.

9. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Red Sox lost the spring training opener to the Twins last night, 6-3, and got a scare when starter Jonathan Papelbon took a Shannon Stewart liner off his left (plant) heel. Papelbon continued and pitched 1 2/3 innings, and remarked after he came out that if it was an inch or two higher up, he might have been looking at a shattered ankle that would've put him out for most (if not all) of the season. The bright side of the game? Coco Crisp, who went 3/3 and was a homer shy of the cycle.

The Red Sox play split squad 7 inning games against Boston College and Northeastern University today. Curt Schilling is expected to start against the Eagles, while Matt Clement takes the ball in the nightcap against the Huskies.

10. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    It has been reported that lefty starter David Wells has rescinded his trade demand and will pitch for the Red Sox this season. If he pitches anywhere near what he did last season, this means we can count on another 15 wins. :D

11. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Red Sox players have done very well so far in the World Baseball Classic. David Ortiz had 2 homers yesterday in the Dominican Republic's 11-5 win over Venezuela, and Mike Timlin pitched a scoreless inning and got the win in the United States' 2-0 win over Mexico. In today's game between Canada and the United States, Jason Varitek went 2/3 with a grand slam for the US, but it was Adam Stern, playing for Canada, who stole the show, going 3/4 with an inside-the-park homer, a triple, and 4 RBI, as well as making a catch at the center field wall that robbed American second baseman Chase Utley of a game-tying home run to end the 8th inning, in their 8-6 victory.

12. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
  13. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The Red Sox today signed OF Juan Gonzalez to a minor league contract. He was a two-time American League MVP (1996, 1998) with the Texas Rangers, but played in only one game with the Cleveland Indians last season.

14. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    With the glut of starting pitching going into spring training, we all knew that a move had to be made, and today, it was made. Unfortunately, it was a member of the 2004 championship team that was dealt, as right-hander Bronson Arroyo was traded along with cash considerations to the Cincinatti Reds for outfielder Wily Mo Pena, a 24 year old right-handed batter who's had a tendency to strike out a lot, but who is showing a lot of up-side. Pena is expected to be platooned in right field along with Trot Nixon.

15. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    In a hopeful sign for the season, closer Keith Foulke pitched the eighth inning of a minor league game today and struck out the side. He will pitch to major league hitters tomorrow in the game against the Blue Jays.

Also, the Sox acquired 1B Hee-Seop Choi off waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers. Choi hit .253 w/ 15 HR and 42 RBI in 320 AB over 133 games for the Dodgers last season. Sean McAdam reported on WEEI that Choi has options, so he's likely to start the season in Pawtucket unless something happens to Mike Lowell, J.T. Snow, or Kevin Youkilis.

16. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Another hopeful sign for the return of Keith Foulke to his form of 2004: he pitched a perfect 6th inning in today's 5-3 loss to the Blue Jays. Opening Day 2006 is now less than 10 days away!

17. clerk

clerk Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 2, 1998
    Oh how I wish I cold be there for Opening Day.

18. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Red Sox reliever Julian Tavarez could begin the season on suspension, as he punched (weakly, according to some sources) Tampa Bay Devil Ray outfielder Joey Gathright after the two got tangled up on a play at the plate in the eighth inning of yesterday's 12-11 Red Sox win.

19. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Tony Graffanino will be returning to his old club, as he was claimed off waivers by the Kansas City Royals today. Graffy wasn't too bad for us...it was just that one error in the playoffs last year that spoiled everything.

20. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Ian Browne, in his notes column on RedSox.com, has given an indication of what the Opening Day roster will look like:

Pitchers (11): Curt Schilling, Tim Wakefield, Josh Beckett, Matt Clement, Keith Foulke, Mike Timlin, Julian Tavarez, Jonathan Papelbon, Rudy Seanez, David Riske, Lenny DiNardo

Catchers: Jason Varitek, Josh Bard

Infielders: David Ortiz, Kevin Youkilis, J.T. Snow, Mark Loretta, Alex Cora, Alex Gonzalez, Mike Lowell

Outfielders: Manny Ramirez, Coco Crisp, Trot Nixon, Wily Mo Pena, Adam Stern

In addition to Tony Graffanino being claimed off waivers by the Royals yesterday, pitchers Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen were optioned to Pawtucket, leaving 35 players in camp. Also, David Wells will start the season on the disabled list, but will be activated for his first start on April 12.

21. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    What happened to Juan Gonzalez? Last I heard they signed him to a minor-league deal. Is he still with the club or did they release him yet?

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Last I heard, Oakland bought the rights to Juan Gone, but he apparently isn't happy with having to prove himself in the minors again, so he's been refusing to report to spring training. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Today was Curt Schilling's last start before Opening Day, going 4 innings against the Pirates and giving up a couple of runs. Keith Foulke also pitched the fifth inning, giving up a hit but otherwise looking very good. The Sox won the game 3-2 on a 2 run single by Trot Nixon in the 7th inning.

23. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    The commissioner's office has suspended reliever Julian Tavarez for 10 days starting on Monday (Opening Day) for his actions in Monday's spring training game against the Devil Rays. It is not yet known whether Tavarez will appeal the suspension.

24. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    ESPN Deportes reported today that the Red Sox and David Ortiz were close to agreement on a four-year, $50M contract extension that would keep the man they call "Big Papi" in Boston through 2010.

25. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Opening Day is tomorrow! The Red Sox will be in Arlington, TX to take on the Rangers. Curt Schilling opposes Kevin Millwood, and will be a 2:05 PM ET start on NESN and ESPN2. If you're working and have to miss all or part of the game, NESN will re-air the game, along with all of the pre-game and post-game shows, immediately following the live post-game show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.