A thread for the Fenway faithful.

Discussion in 'Boston, MA' started by Jedi_Outcast77, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    The first OFFICIAL day of spring is finally here! :D
  2. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Opening Day 2006 saw the Red Sox take the win on the road against the Texas Rangers, 7-3. Curt Schilling gave up a two-run homer to Hank Blalock in the 6th inning, but otherwise looked good, going 7 innings and striking out 5. David Ortiz hit a two-run homer off of Rangers starter Kevin Millwood in the 5th inning and Mike Lowell hit a solo shot in the 8th off of Rangers reliever Joaquin Benoit to highlight the Sox' offense. Ortiz was a triple shy of the cycle with 3 RBI on the day.
  3. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Today's Boston Herald "Inside Track" leads with an item that claims, among other things, that the Red Sox did not re-sign Derek Lowe following the 2004 championship because of a drinking problem, according to a deposition in Lowe's divorce case. Trinka Lowe, Derek's wife of seven years before their separation, is believed to be seeking half of his $36M contract with the Dodgers.
  4. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Bronson Arroyo made his first regular-season start for his new team, the Cincinatti Reds, today, and went 6.2IP giving up 5 runs (3 earned) on 6 hits and striking out 7 in an 8-6 win against the Cubs. The game will be more memorable, though, because Arroyo hit his first career homer off Cubs starter Glendon Rusch in the 3rd inning (his first time up), meaning Arroyo right now has more homers this season than Wily Mo Pena, the player the Red Sox traded Arroyo for. [face_laugh]
  5. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Josh Beckett was a bit shaky in the first inning of his Red Sox regular season debut, but settled down to pitch 7 strong innings, allowing just the 1st inning run on 7 hits and striking out 5. Beckett wound up getting the win thanks to a two-run homer by Trot Nixon in the 7th inning. However, the real story is one of controversy: Terry Francona chose not to go to Keith Foulke in the 9th inning, but Jonathan Papelbon, who had already been warming in the 8th when Mike Timlin ran into trouble. Papelbon struck out 2 of the 3 batters he faced for his first major league save. Does this mean Papelbon is now the closer? We'll see soon.
  6. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Very ironic indeed. The Sox wanted someone that could provide more power to the offense and Aroyyo drills one in his first at bat =D=. I heard the cheers that followed went on for so long that the umps had to "officially" suspend play while the crowd was brought back under control. I'm sure Pena will fit right in to the Sox lineup but unless Trot gets hurt, which is always a possibility with Nixon, he won't be getting much playing time. I think he'll end up pulling a "Jay Payton" and want to be traded before the deadline.

Another thing that I know I'm going to love about this season is watching Beckett get fired up every time he takes the mound. That's the kind of excitement that Schilling brought to the team when he showed up and I'm glad to see a young guy like Beckett out there doing the same thing, enjoying himself.
  7. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    A report out of WHDH Channel 7 indicates that centerfielder Coco Crisp may be out the next four weeks with a broken knuckle suffered in an attempted steal of third base in the first inning of yesterday's game. It is likely that Willy Mo Pena and Adam Stern, who had 2 RBI singles in today's 4-1 win over the Orioles, will split time in center if Crisp is out for an extended period of time.

Opening Day at Fenway is Tuesday @ 2:05 PM against the Toronto Blue Jays. Josh Towers will oppose Josh Beckett, and members of the 1946 American League championship team, including Johnny Pesky and Bobby Doer, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.
  8. Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be surprized to see Pena in CF, even on a shared basis with Stern. I think they'll hold on to Pena to replace Nixon for some late inning power or to pinch hit if the Sox are in a jam. I think after his WBC performance Stern will get more than split time in center.

The Sox are off to their best start in 7 years and are sitting very comfortably on top of the East after sweeping division rival Baltimore. As long as they can keep that up against the Jays they should finally be able to shake the off-season talk about how prepared they really are.

I don't know about anyone else but the management in my office gave everyone the green light to wear their Red Sox gear to work tomorrow :D! The only thing better than wearing jeans on Friday is wearing jeans AND a Sox jersey on any other day of the week.
  9. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Two items today:

• David Ortiz has signed a 4 year, $50M extension which includes a club option for 2011.

• Coco Crisp has a non-displaced fracture at the base of his left index finger, which has been placed in a splint and will be re-evaluated in 10 days. It is expected that he'll be able to return to baseball activities in a couple of weeks, and rejoin the active roster in about a month. The Red Sox did not immediately place Crisp on the 15-day disabled list, but they are expected to do so tomorrow.

10. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Alrighty folks, time to bid farewell to the individual sports threads. From here on out feel free to post away about all things Red Sox here:

The 2006 Boston Sports Thread
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.