main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Why is leaving him a problem? Heat of battle, and all that.

Or maybe have Mazarun leave first.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Assassination?
    [​IMG]
    I like this plan, I do indeed.

Two questions.
    Do we get cutscenes written for the parts not RPed?
    And, uh, can we take Kharn's head with us when we escape? Or an ear or hand or something at least?:D

3. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    'Cos I've been trying to put some effort into the whole "get Mazarun to trust William" thing, and leaving without him could well damage that. Drow generally expect backstabbing, and abandoning him in the midst of an enemy camp...

Yes, I overthink these things. :p

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I hope we can get that head, it'd force them to use Resurrection and not just Raise Dead.

Plus, y'know, heads on spikes are fun.

5. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    's cool, Mazarun would probably be telling him to get out while the getting's good. He doesn't need William to watch him harvesting warlord heads like they're going out of style, anyway.:p

And honestly, since DM ruling is Maz isn't getting out the same way as you guys, taking an extra moment to drop Kharn's head in a bag is as good a reason as any.:D

6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, as far as cutscenes are concerned -- I hadn't planned on doing so, mainly because I'd estimate a good ten, fifteen pages of writing or more for me to get through a blow-by-blow account of the Company's escapades on those four missions. Sort of defeats the purpose of a speedup. What I had more in mind that if you guys wanted, you could flashback the scene for yourselves, in that I've given you what will happen so you can act with (reasonable) godmode on in those scenes. I'm not saying you have to RP out the scene, or even do a flashback, but what I intend on the next update is to fast-forward to the day of, or day before, the Red Hand's arrival/assault on Brindol. I'm just acting on the good suggestion Xan had that maybe I take a break from writing cutscenes and you guys get the opportunity to do it :D :D

As for Kharn's head or other body parts getting chucked into bags ... sorry, no, the fates don't work out that way. Nothing to stop Mazarun sticking around to try and saw off parts of Kharn's anatomy, I like that as a motivation, but there isn't enough time before the position's overrun and he has to get the hell out of Dodge. Not everything gets to go to plan in life. :D There's also that hacking off a head with at best a few seconds and something that's more like a knitting needle than a meat cleaver is, well, stretching it a bit. If it's any consolation, Raise Dead is a spell of a level the Red Hand is unlikely to have sitting in one of its clerics' minds right at the moment; that much will be apparent to the party from its Scrying escapades. The clerics in the Hand are formidable in number, certainly, but they're mostly not of the Company's levels -- if you can figure out how to put that in IC terms [face_dunno]

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    P.S.: Character motivations for leaving Maz/Ariel behind don't have to be entirely willing on William's part. Maybe he's mistaken about everyone being accounted for when he casts; maybe he's been conked on the head from a hobgoblin's critical hit and casts without checking to see everyone's good to go. All up to you guys, as I say.

8. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    ...Aw, man, not even an ear? They're easy!:p

9. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Easy, or earsy? I guess you could call that hearsay. :D

10. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    :p

In any case, at least it provides a decent reason for the delay. Whether it be trying to score a trophy, or just damaging the eyes in a vindictive bit of 'be blind in the afterlife' thought, it gives some excuse for Mazarun neglecting his usual healthy precaution of not getting separated from the safe ticket out wizard.:p

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Indeed it's always important not to be far from the dude whose abilities make entire feats if not character classes redundant thanks to lack of foresight by WOTC wizard. :D

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, no, that was definitely intentional on their part. Or at least Cook's part.

13. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    *snrk* Okay then. I no longer feel worried about IC repercussions of running away without the drow. :p

14. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    It seems as though his Ivory Tower Design was more along the lines of "every element was designed with a purpose in mind, even if it isn't obvious."

Their purpose and ideas may be demonstrably wrong, but there you go.

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think part of the issue is that when you try to design a game in that manner you produce a bunch of FOOSes more or less of necessity, and in 3E in particular every FOOS let back to wizard.

16. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    No kidding. I was looking at a high-level module that had an endgame battle where one of the options was a set-up for a final stand TPK ending and my thought process was "well, with some decent luck regarding saves/SR rolls, enough full casters and adequate spell picks, a party could totally win this one in two to three rounds." Use save-or-lose spells to secure the action advantage and then DPR the rest into oblivion.

17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    All right, I'm headed out of computer contact for a few days, so you can probably expect an update around this time next week, to be honest - it'll take me a little while to write things up, but of course I'll be checking the thread on and off...

18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Ktala should get with you to do a joint post between our characters

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've got a pair of questions regarding this time elapse:

1. Since Evelios is doing a lot of tactics training (Since, paradoxically, he's really good at that) would it be possible for me to do a write up of one or more sessions, just for some fun?

2. In doing said write up(s) would it be okay if I wrote the NPCs' dialogue?

I've just got this really... bizarre scene I want to pound out at some point, and want to know if that's feasible.

20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    1. Yes, that's the whole idea of the speedups - chance for you guys to write the cutscenes! :D

2. Yes. Dear God, yes.

21. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    When Ramza thinks a scene is going to be really bizarre, I am at once terrified and intrigued. :p

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I rather liked Xan's effort about after the fight at the Cathedral. That "corner of cloth" bit was a nice, unexpected moment, and it dazzled. It's the small details that make a scene. :)

Working on the first interlude at the moment...

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm catching up - I've got the bug again, and it's getting me all kinds of jazzed.

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'll give it a few more days. They'd better be good, guys :p:p:p

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm actually waiting until at least one interlude is up, so don't hold up on my account.