1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    It's that one spell-like ability that puts up purple flames. Purple flames, puuu-uurple flaaaaames~

Edit: Faerie Fire, that was the name.
    Last edited by Ramza, Apr 26, 2013
  2. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    That sounds right, though answers along the lines of marsh gas or St. Elmo's Fire would come close, too...
  3. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Close, but they wouldn't incorporate
    Which to me is a natural match for the fact that while drow can use Faerie Fire as a spell-like, it's primarily for reducing concealment from darkness, which drow, with their darkvision, would be unhampered by in the first place.
  4. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

star 6
    *ding ding ding* And Ramza wings the prize!

Can be used for outlining invisible things, hence 'my touch is a sight.'

And using it most? Hel-lo Menzoberranzan!
    [IMG]
    "I use faerie fire in allll my decorating!"

Still, I'll count that riddle a success.:D
    Last edited by Rilwen_Shadowflame, Apr 26, 2013
  5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Damnit, knew I shoulda gone with my gut instinct said Faerie Fire. Some Kitty Druid I am.
  6. Ktala Force Ghost

star 6
    Hehe... Nice riddle!!

On the notes for battle stuff... Think the Horn of Fog might be useful against them their nasty giants throwing big rocks? ;)
  7. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Horn of Fog I'll get back to, or leave it to someone else to talk about.

Right now I'm waiting for Evelios to drag Corrath, Skadi, or Ariel onto the nearest battlement to dance (badly) to a rather questionable synthesiser lick that pales in comparison with some of Bruce Springsteen's better tunes. :D
  8. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Hey, just because it pales in comparison to every other song on the album it appears on, which in turn paled in comparison to every album preceding it, and pales in comparison to most of the songs on subsequent albums, doesn't mean...

... Wait, actually, yes it does. It's admittedly a guilty pleasure, and I'm not sure why I was compelled to use it. I think Evelios might be winning some part of some war for my own mind. [face_worried]
  9. cassie5squared Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    It was only a matter of time, Ramz, only a matter of time...
  10. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Speaking of time, here's the first issue for you guys: how urgently you get over the wall. On arrival at the south gate you're informed there's no way the garrison is going to open the doors when boulders are being flung at it; rather, the plan is to move your party up about 150 feet east and then have you abseil down the wall to reach the ground. Climbing down walls by rope is handled by an Athletics check or a straight STR check.

What matters to you guys are the consequences.

Basically none of you can fall off the rope since the DC is only 5 and everyone in the party has a STR bonus of at least zero; you only fall from the rope if you fail the DC by 5 or more. But if you fail the DC by 4 or less, then you get stuck, can't progress, have to roll again, which takes in-character time. That is a possibility if some of you roll low.

A time delay is significant because the longer you guys quite literally hang around on the wall, the more boulders are being flung at the gate and the more damage it takes. If the gate breaks ... well, it's not game over, but who knows what the consequences might be. The same concern arises with taking 10 on an Athletics check or STR check - you'll get an automatic descent, but you're losing time.

I might add this is only a concern for some of you. Namely, Skadi, Zanaek, William, and Evelios - none of them have Athletics as skills and all have STR checks which have the possibility of failure and therefore delay.

Ariel is obviously covered on the whole "fly down" thing just as the familiars are; Corrath, Mazarun, and Ragnar all can't fail their Athletics checks.

There's also the option of just getting tied to a rope and being lowered down the wall by someone. Ragnar or Mazarun - yes, Mazarun - can do this. Both have STR scores at 20 or above. Mazarun alone can lower a maximum load of at least four hundred pounds down the wall. In Ragnar's case, it's more like six hundred. But again, it will take time. (No, Ariel can't slow someone's fall or fly someone down: each of you weigh too much and would put her at or beyond a medium load. It would autofail. That one time at Rhest was me fiating a bending of the rules on one occasion.)

And lastly, there's of course the option of literally just jumping off the wall. Takes no time at all. And it can only do a maximum of 3d6 damage since the wall's "only" 30 feet high. But whether you want to waste your resources on healing this early in the game is a matter for you.

So ... over to you. Do your casters take a chance? Do you rappel down? Do you jump?
    Last edited by Saintheart, Apr 29, 2013
  11. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

star 6
    Can't Mazarun just give somebody a levitate-slowed descent?

...Orrrrr cast levitate on something else, let us sit on it, and magic-carpet-ride our way down?
    Last edited by Rilwen_Shadowflame, Apr 29, 2013
  12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Doesn't William have Feather Fall?

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!
  13. cassie5squared Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    William does not have Feather Fall on his spell list for today because he wasn't anticipating climbing anywhere, for some reason. However, he is willing to roll a Strength check: 1d20 plus a whole 0 for being weedy. :p

He gets 13! No falling wizards today.
  14. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Well, my strength IS at a +2, he said, tempting fate...

Edit: Huzzah!
    Ramza threw 20-faced die for: Climb Total: 10
    Last edited by Ramza, Apr 29, 2013
  15. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    William has a scroll of Overland Flight. Considering it will last something like 10 hours, now is as good of a time as any to cast it.

Skadi prepared Air Walk twice, and I was going to have her use at least one AP to recast it, if not more, to ensure that we at least cover the major melee characters (Skadi, Ragnar, Corrath) so they can go air-to-air with our dragon friend.

And you could totally use Ariel to fly people around. Skadi has Bull's Strength, which boosts carrying capacity through a strength increase, and William has Enlarge Person, which increases strength and doubles carrying capacity. Combined, that puts her at a strength of 22, meaning she can carry 346 pounds as a light load.

If Evelios fires off a haste, it will allow the party to go down the rope at full speed and also cover ground to the giants even faster.
    Last edited by LightWarden, Apr 29, 2013
  16. Ktala Force Ghost

star 6
    "Air Ariel, now boarding at the South Gate. " :p:D

hehehehe.

Hm an large Avariel Ariel...+ Dragon.... hmmmmmmmm
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo likes this.
  17. cassie5squared Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Oooh, I'd forgotten about the scroll. Sure then, I'll use that. Flying wizard, wheee!
  18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    @LightWarden Are you gonna change any of Skadi's spells to include any to oppose Undead or do you think what we got is sufficient for now? I mean we have no reason to think that Kharn will be involved in the defense of his giants... right?
  19. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Well, then:

- Evelios goes down the rope because that's just how he rolls (no pun intended).
    - William casts Overland Flight thus using up that scroll and flies down
    - Everyone else bar Skadi and Zanaek can make it down under their own steam, you can assume there's enough ropes available so nobody has to share.

Which still leaves us with Skadi and Zanaek on the top of the wall.

Rilwen does have a good point: because of Mazarun's feat selections, he can use Levitate 30 times in one day (the CS figure needs recalculating) and they don't consume any of his other spell-like ability uses. Levitate can be used on the caster or another willing participant. So it'll take two rounds if Skadi and Zanaek go one at a time.

Ramza, is Evelios casting Haste as Light suggests?

Light, I'm happy for you to basically control Skadi throughout this if you like...

Everyone: on the Action Points issue, remember you've got 8 each: half character level +3.
  20. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    I'll absolutely rock the Haste.
  21. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Right then. That leaves Light to determine whether Skadi's casting Air Walk this early in proceedings and spending an AP, and Rilwen to decide whether Mazarun levitates Zanaek down the wall, or indeed whether Mitth gets Zanaek to just climb down a rope.

Also, on a query Ktala had regarding the Horn of Fog, here's what the DMG says about it...

This small bugle allows its possessor to blow forth a thick cloud of heavy fog similar to that of an obscuring mist spell. The fog covers a 10-foot square next to the horn blower each round that the user continues to blow the horn; fog clouds travel 10 feet each round in a straight line from the emanation point unless blocked by something substantial such as a wall. The device makes a deep, foghorn-like noise, with the note dropping abruptly to a lower register at the end of each blast. The fog dissipates after 3 minutes. A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the fog in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round.

Obscuring Mist, i.e. the effect the Horn gives, obscures all sight including darkvision beyond five feet, so yes, it would work against the giants in that it would make them a hell of a lot less accurate: if you're fogged out, your attacks have a 50% miss chance and the attacker can't use sight to locate the target. The problem is that if you're engaging inside the cloud, you're subject to the same miss chances. In addition, you have to keep blowing the horn round after round to generate 10 foot squares of cloud, and the device makes a deep, foghorn-like noise, so unless you're moving a lot, you're basically giving the target a free Perception check to locate you by sound. Not to mention any of the target's buddies who might be stooging around nearby. And lastly, the fog dissipates after 3 minutes or so, so it's not a permanent solution.
  22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Meh, not gonna waste Maz's time. If I get stuck, I get stuck and everyone can laugh at the not-so-athletic cleric afterward.

Edit: And I get stuck or fall or something? My rolls suck [face_laugh]
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo threw 20-faced die for: Rope climbing Total: 4
    Last edited by CmdrMitthrawnuruodo, Apr 29, 2013
  23. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Yup. Can't say I didn't warn you. :D

Fortunately that's only a delay, not a fall. As I said, given the DC is 5 it's actually impossible for you to fail that badly. But you have gotten tangled in the rope somehow. Roll again, or just let go of the rope. :D
  24. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Z's at Athletics: +2, he made the DC.
    Last edited by Ramza, Apr 29, 2013
  25. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    ...and looking at it again his STR bonus is a +1 anyway, so either way, he made it. Ooops. :D
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza