main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Shouldn't everyone have Resist Fire 30 right now?

2. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Yeah, they all have it, so there's no need for Ariel to cast Resist Fire on herself, it won't stack.

3. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    So is there any need for William's Fire Shield?

4. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Yes. It halves fire damage and stacks with Fire Resistance and also means that if the dragon hits someone in melee, it takes cold damage. Dragons are all about hitting people in melee multiple times, and red dragons take extra damage from the cold.

For comparison, if the Fire Shield had been up before they teleported in, instead of taking 72 damage reduced to 42 damage thanks to the resistance, they would have taken 36 damage reduced to 6 damage thanks to the resistance. A maximized Flame Breath would do 50 damage reduced to 20 damage instead of 100 damage reduced to 70 damage.

And who knows, maybe we can roll through burning buildings to put them out with the cold.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Gonna cast Sanctuary and move to AH18 or get as close to that spot. Spirit will attempt to get to Evelios and heal him for:

Edit: 15 points

6. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Ooh, shiny. Okay, William's going to chuck another AP in, because why not, and Enlarge the Fire Shield to tag as many people as possible.

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Mitth: The Sanctuary casting will go off all right since you cast it before you go into the smoke. The Healing Spirit is barely in range since Evelios is exactly 50 feet from you right now and it moves at the start of your turn. But if Zanaek moves past column 15, he's down and choking until next round because per my smoke rolls he fails his Fort check -- absent spending an AP. If you want to go for this, roll 2d6: best of the two results is added to your Fort. If it's 3 or more Zanaek can reach AG17, that's as far as he can get on foot.

(Although if he does get that far, he's in range of William's Mass Fire Shield at AG17 by the time William casts it.)

Cassie: Just so I'm clear: that means William's not moving any closer to the action this round, yes?

Peng: assuming you're not currently drooling over the PS4 :p I'll assume Ragnar waits until William and Skadi cast before he does anything. If that's how you want the character to go.

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    P.S. ... sorry, Light, but this is a sort of chain of possibilities I wanted to nail down before we got to Skadi's action...

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Okay

Edit: For once the dice are nice. Reaching AG17 then.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Evelios is delaying until after Skadi and William's actions, so I'm waiting to hear about any potential counter maneuvers.

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    We're almost at that point since I don't think it makes much of a difference whether William moves in and casts or stays where he is and casts, but I'm still waiting to see what Ariel and Ragnar do, specifically whether they charge in or not on their initiative counts or not. Ktala , Penguinator , I'm waiting on you guys and so is Ramza. :D Wish we were all in the same time zone.

12. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Sorry!! Im here... Kinda at least.. LOL.

So..If Ariel can see the dragon..yeah..She is going to go for it. But Im going to adjust her attack slightly. And ya saying I dont need to cast resist fire because of the other spells in place.

13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Yes, you don't need to cast Resist Fire, mainly because it does exactly the same thing as the spell Skadi already cast. It's for most intents and purposes the same spell, really. The two spells' effects don't cumulate on each other, that is to say they don't "stack", as the rules put it. William's spell does because, well, that's the rules.

So, yeah. When you say you're going to "adjust her attack slightly", what do you want to do?

EDIT: Never mind, we're working it out...

14. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010
    Yeah, William is not getting any closer to the dragon than he can help, because "wizard" and "melee" are not two things that should be next to each other.:p

15. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Cassie: Thanks for that!

Ktala and I have worked out what she's doing: delay until Skadi and William are done, Quick Casting True Strike, Charge attack, use weapon as best possible, and then get clear with her Move action. Can't be bothered with trigonometry and I figure she's at least 30 feet above the ground, so I think she has a straight(ish) line to strike range at 20 feet.

That just leaves Peng. And Rilwen, once all this is sorted out...

16. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    [face_dancing]Time to dance!!

17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'll also assume full Power Attack in the strike as well.

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'm also going to go offline for most of a day now, so no further updates from me tonight.

Ragnar I will assume waits until Skadi is done with her stuff and then charges in.

As to what happens now: Skadi casts Dispel Magic as a targeted spell, the dragon casts Wings of Cover.

As I read the initiative table it should now look like this:

Corrath: 1d20+8 – 26
    Dragon: 24
    Zanaek: 15
    William: 1d20+5 – 13
    Skadi: 1d20+1 – 8
    Evelios: – 8

Ragnar: – 8
    Ariel: – 8
    Mazarun: 8

Moves from this point are still subject to confirmation. See you all tomorrow.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Evelios will charge to the position that puts him flanking with respect to Skadi. Activating Sudden Stunning on a successful hit. LW is handling my rolls again.

20. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Charging in to the flank means you roll 1d20+24 since you get a +2 bonus from the charge, a +2 bonus from the flank, and a +1 bonus from being at a higher altitude than the dragon and able to stab it in the face or similar important bit.

1d20+24= 39
    1d6+16= 22 damage

If that's a hit (and it probably is), then comes Sudden Stunning. 1d20 + 5 (1/2 level) + 8 (Cha mod) = 1d20+13 vs. Reflex
    1d20+13= 33

That is almost certainly a hit, since a dragon's Reflex is its worst defense

If that works, the dragon is stunned for 1d4+1 rounds
    1d4+1 = 2 rounds

Not as high as I was hoping, but eh, it'll work.

Oh, and possible concealment miss chance for the smoke. Don't want to get screwed by forgetting that.

1d100= 53, so you should be fine.

Saint, was the dragon successfully stunned?

21. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    And because I forgot- anyone charging the dragon benefits from Maz's Leading the Charge for +6 to damage on charge attacks (which is doubled in Ariel's case due to her Diving Charge ability).

So that should be 28 damage from Evelios.

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
  23. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Wouldn't matter either way. Spell Resistance only blocks spells and spell-like abilities (things with an "(Sp)" in their description on the stat-block)- weapon properties such as Sudden Stunning are largely Supernatural (Su) and thus have no interaction with SR. And SR doesn't even block all spells either, there are plenty of spells that bypass it.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Think I'll need to write an in-character post for that attack, then. :p

25. cassie5squared

Dec 8, 2010