main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Y'all should probably go after those snipers. :p

2. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    I assume we treant Ragnar up, then make sure everyone is hasted before hitting the snipers. Corrath is invisible and everyone can fly or air walk, so we can hit them from above.

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I haven't started rolling initiative or doing up calculations yet because depending on how you hit them it might alter things significantly for a map. Frankly it might be over in one round anyway -- so let's see if we can resolve it via quick declarations of actions and whatnot. Note that these guys aren't on the roof of any structure, they're at the windows on the second floor of a building.

Can I get a little clarification on how the hitting from above thing is going to be implemented? You're outside the building looking at it; hitting someone behind improved cover gives about a +6 or so to AC if I remember right, not that it necessarily makes a huge difference given the buffs you've all got on... are you guys planning to cave the roof in or something?

By way of range, let's call it that you're all about 120 feet out from the Square, level with Whalevelios, everyone say about 40 feet off the ground. The building's 20 feet high and it's visible to you all from here. Your angle of approach, from the northwest is oblique enough that the snipers don't have a shot on you. But remember you can't see the snipers as such right now, you're relying solely on the orca's blindsense to pinpoint them. Closing in to melee range is likely going to take a full round or so as well since your movement speeds will be about 60 feet or so Hasted and therefore double moves are required to get over the 120 foot distance. Bear in mind that any of your spells that have Range: Medium can be targeted from this range, too...

Hasting'll take up Evelios's actions this round; treanting Ragnar probably consumes William's actions (assuming a temp AP there to keep Polymorph memorised). So a one round prep round unless anyone wants to do anything else hugely significant or something.

Lastly, Ktala I think had the idea to flick a couple of dancing lights in front of the building to blind or block the snipers' shots, since there's every possibility they're going to pop off another soldier shortly - is that happening?

4. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    Sure - William burned his AP to keep Polymorph, and now turns Ragnar into a monstertree beastie and burns another just in case we need Polymorph again. Also I like the idea of the dancing lights thing.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I'm probably not needed to take out two snipers that are likely to get squished in the first round or two, so perhaps I should head for the Cathedral to find out what happened to Jarmaath and help there?

-----------
    MOTTI: Thou shalt not 'tempt to frighten us with words so like a man of magic, Vader. Nay, thy sorc'rer's act is tir'd and overdone. The sad religion thou dost cling to hath no pow'r to conjure up the stolen plans. Nor dost thou have a third-eye's sight to make--

6. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    I more than happy to have Ariel do the dancing lights bit! :)

7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Okay, I'll assume nobody has any other twists to add to this plan, so I'll start working up what happens shortly...

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    And it's done!

This result is probably pretty close to viable on game rules, too. Polymorphed into a treant, Ragnar gets a boost to his STR, which his barbarian rage ups by about 6 or so, and treants interestingly get double damage to "structures and objects" as a racial ability. Not to mention a treant is Huge, i.e. he was thirty feet tall and thereby bigger than any other building in the entire city except for maybe the Cathedral and Brindol Keep.

Besides which, treant-Ragnar was probably best-placed to take on these guys anyway, being immune to poison, critical hits, paralysis, or stunning. I had a pretty deadly couple of snipers set up there; absent immunity to poison I was expecting at least one character death in this encounter, so consider yourselves lucky. ;)

Anyway, now what guys?

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    As I'm still a flying duck whale, I guess I should gear up for a cameo as a Rune Factory 4 end boss. ACKNOWLEDGE ME, EARTHMATE!

Saintheart likes this.
  10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    what are the names of the city leaders again?

11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Jarmaath is the Lord, Tredora Goldenbrow the head cleric, Lady Kaal the second major lord, and Lars Ulverth the captain of guards.

12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    All right, so, Zanaek's in the Cathedral. Everyone else, I might point out you've got utter chaos in Cathedral Square, or at least major confusion in hand among the troops here in the Square. Nobody seems to be taking charge right at this minute, and these guys are pretty much the only hope you've got of holding the West Gate, which is being marched on by the vanguard of the Red Hand even as we speak. Anyone want to do something about this?

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Is there any proper way to... dewhale?

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Polymorph is dismissable, so William just has to tap you again. Standard action, and hey, you're back. :)

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Interesting. It might be to our advantage, then, to have Evelios try to pull off a spot of ordo ab chao what with the pretty words. Anybody else have input on the matter?

16. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    I'm up for it. :p

17. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
  18. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    Other than that, Heal neutralizes poison and ability damage.

19. LightWarden

Oct 11, 2001
    And there's the heal skill, which can be used to treat any active poison, leaving the ability score damage to be mopped up with Restoration.

20. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    That sounds good: Skadi would probably want to try and rally the troops with Evelios' help and bring them back into some semblance of order. That's an IC action, though. Thinking meta-ly, is there anything she can do in terms of healing, etc?

21. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'd honestly say there aren't a lot of spells Skadi has that are terribly useful in this situation; on the other hand, she is still giant-sized right and the moment and presumably could make quite an entrance into the square, since pretty much every soldier in Brindol knows who she is.

22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    In fact, on that, for better RPing I'm happy to go with the idea that whoever opts to rally the troops down there is going to be successful anyway; either your Diplomacy or Perform modifiers are high enough, or even untrained it's probably enough to do the job given these men and women all trust you implicitly as their allies.

23. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    So, Evelios, up for rallying the troops with me? There may come a day, etc?

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Absolutely.

Saintheart likes this.
  25. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Holding off on the presumption you're planning to follow up Skadi's speech, Ramza...?