main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC A Tide of Discussion: the d20 ToF OOC thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Saintheart, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Either/or is fine by me. I'm not anticipating an encounter with Ewoks so there's no special advantage to the levitating.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    And we are up and going!

Few things about the update--

(1) The map is more of a mud map for better posting. We are not playing by strict mechanical D&D rules, it's freeform, so feel free with your abilities and doing what you'd like to within reason.

(2) Legion Devils are a form of devil that draws most of its strength from the others -- i.e. you might hit one with a strike that can kill it, but the injury is spread among all the devils present in the room.

(3) Cornugons are basically Horned Devils, big buggers from other planes. More info in the D&D FAQ (www.d20srd.org)

(4) "Luchia" and "Franchesca" are two erinyes -- again look at the D&D FAQ for details. They have been Azarr Kul's bed companions.

(5) You're all flying under spells or whatever, so you can get around in the air.

(6) Mind the streams of energy I mentioned: they're flowing straight up from the five statues placed around the dais - I'm not sure (heh heh heh) what they might do. Likewise, it might not be a good idea to enter the big pool of energy at the top of the room (and invisible on the map for clarity) since that's where Azarr Kul is tearing a gateway between Avernus and the Prime Material Plane. The ritual can continue without his continuing attention to it, in case you were wondering.

(7) Please don't hesitate to ask for any information you might need!

3. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    *Looks at the map and faints*...

4. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    ...you didn't think this was going to be easy, did you? [face_devil]

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So I had truly, honestly, 100% intended to post today or tomorrow, but I am just fried after yesterday's marathon grade-a-palooza. Consequently I'm aiming for a post on Monday or Tuesday. Sorry for the delays.

Saintheart likes this.
  6. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Uppa-derpity-up-dated.

Come on, guys, can't we get this over already? :D

7. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    W00T!!!

wakka...wakka..... :p

All ya hafta do but ask! :D

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Well guys, I figured for my own selfish reasons as much as anything else that this thing needed some sort of ending, and that is what I have written. :) One last chance for people to provide a closing post: my next post will be my last in this game and in the RPF at large I expect, so if you're inclined, please do contribute. I will be doing an epilogue, of course, but I don't as yet know whether it'll feature what happened to your characters in the years that followed. Perhaps you can tell me. Or perhaps you're content to let them pass into the shadows where they must go on alone. Either way, I've thoroughly enjoyed all of this. Even if we had to stagger across the finish line, we still finished, and that was what I set out to do.

So, one last call, one last post, one last handshake with your characters who we've walked with for six years or so, if you like. It is all up to you.

There's many, many people I would have to thank for this to be complete, but it has been so long I would not do justice to try and do so. So all I can say, ultimately, is: thank you. About the only person I would like to single out in this whole process, indeed for teaching me this wonderful thing called D&D 3.5 that I have spent so much time on, the guy who has been my silent (and from time to time, not so silent) partner in all of this: Lightwarden, who carried me and carried this game through the three months I abandoned it a couple years back. I have much to thank him for, and while it looks like he's gone to other pastures, he still deserves the thanks due to a good partner and due to someone who was never afraid to give objective and frank advice. He made this game so much more better than I would have on my own.

And needless to say, I owe big thanks to all of you, both present and past players: thank you for wonderful experiences and the time we have shared. I could not have reached this point without all of you, and your commitment has been both humbling and gratifying since I've somehow managed to trick you all into coming back to this thread for five or so years. :D Even if the game has faded and passed now, I would have you remember it this way: does not all beauty so fade and pass?

As for me, I'm leaving DMing and the RPF, as I said. There are other pastures I need to pursue, though I may look in here from time to time. I feel both happy and sad to be finishing this game; it has been a huge part of my life for so long now I can hardly imagine a time when I won't have it somewhere in the back of my mind, fretting over an update or delighting over an old post. I didn't get through my planned attempt to like every single post in the thread, but I hope this suffices as well for all of you. :) It is time for me to move on, though not without tremendous sadness. I think it best to leave it to Shakespeare on this. Best of my love to all of you.

Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
    what strength I have's mine own,
    Which is most faint: now, 'tis true,
    I must be here confined by you,
    Or sent to Naples. Let me not,
    Since I have my dukedom got
    And pardon'd the deceiver, dwell
    In this bare island by your spell;
    But release me from my bands
    With the help of your good hands:
    Gentle breath of yours my sails
    Must fill, or else my project fails,
    Which was to please. Now I want
    Spirits to enforce, art to enchant,
    And my ending is despair,
    Unless I be relieved by prayer,
    Which pierces so that it assaults
    Mercy itself and frees all faults.
    As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
    Let your indulgence set me free.

Ktala and Ramza like this.
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Saint, I'm sorry I didn't reply to my last tag, and I'm sorry to see the game end, but thank you for posting an epilogue so that we can at least wrap things up. And furthermore, thank you for running the game! It's been a hell of a ride and I've loved it the whole way.

I will try to get an epilogue up shortly.

Saintheart likes this.
  10. Ktala

Ktala Force Ghost star 6

Sep 7, 2002
    Oh...gosh...

I could almost CRY!!!! Really!!! :_|

It's both a beautiful ending...and I too am sad to see something I played, so long finally ended.

I LOVE IT, LOVE IT[face_love] , LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] ,LOVE IT[face_love] !!!!!!!

I will try to write something....

Saintheart likes this.
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Forgive the OOC schmaltz:

And there's the second to last thing I'll ever write for Evelios. After wondering endlessly about what would occur in the immediate aftermath, I decided... it wouldn't matter, not to Evelios in any case. The voices in his head are abruptly and forever silent, his best friend is dead - he's done and he wants to go home for a while. Feel free to mention him as necessary if you're writing something set a bit more immediately - I would imagine that he is significantly more somber than usual.

As for me, I got to do every goofball thing I've been wanting to do with Evelios ever since it occurred to me, one day, that maybe this here bard was using Poe to cover something a bit... nuttier. Peng and I had planned parts of this several years back, as well. It's satisfying to see it all come to fruition, but damn, this is really and truly the end, isn't it? It's been really lovely playing with all of you for all this time. Obviously everyone will see me around here, so I'll hopefully I'll see all of you.

Incidentally, while I didn't link any music this time, I think I'd use this. Everything will be alright.

Saintheart likes this.
  12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    ...and the rest is silence.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    As per Saint's request, and as the game is completed, the ToF thread proper has been locked. I was given discretion as regards leaving it open or closed with respect to the possibility of other players' desires to write final scenes - to accommodate this, I have defaulted to keeping the thread locked, and if anyone wishes to post a final scene, simply shoot me a PM and I'll unlock it for you.

Since the particulars of closing an OOC thread once the game has ended are somewhat ambiguous, this thread will remain open for a couple of more days in case anyone wishes to post some final thoughts.